Luxus discussion II

Comments

• mxstyliemxstylie Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Hello,
    Just wanted to join in this thread. I've been reading here most of the day and with some help from this thread I decided to install LuxRender and purchase/install Luxus. After some small lighting tweaks in Daz I managed this render. It is Azumi for Aoki 5. I found that out of all the skin for the Aoki 5 character (which is the best one I have for now) Azumi's is the most realistic. This is also Azumi's green eyes. I have no idea much about the settings as far as Luxus exporting from Daz 4.6, what I can say is I had the Use LuxRender GUI on and that's it. I messed with the f-stop, shutter, ISO and the lights in LuxRender. After 2hrs this is what I got. I definitely have a lot more to figure out but I just wanted to give it a quick try. I still can't find how to open the material editor and light editor in Daz. Any help with that would be much appreciated :-)

d51.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

That's so cool! :gulp:

edited May 2013

Hellboy said:
    That's so cool! :gulp:

Thanks Hellboy :cheese:

I just checked out your website, you have so awesome artwork

Post edited by mxstylie on
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tyneshe for Victoria 4
    AlfaseeD `s Classic fantasy
    Valkynne hair
    Streets of Asia

This one kicked my butt numerous times but I percevered with it, the skin is glossy translucent with volume to simulate sub surface scattering but I think some of the detail is lost unfortunately, the hair is glossy translucent purple with a very low bright red absorption. The Classic fantasy bikini was supposed to be gold but it came out super reflective which actually looks pretty good I think, narrow angle depth of field and a little bloom for good measure.

tyneshe.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 359K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

mxstylie said:
    .. I still can't find how to open the material editor and light editor in Daz. Any help with that would be much appreciated :-)

Yes this is tricky, it took me a bit to figure it out. I'm doing it at a more basic level then you might need to help others that might also have problems with this:

1a: with the surface selected (surface selection tool, surface tab circled) click on the 'menu' box in the upper corner of the surface tab.

1a.jpg
    928 x 720 - 67K
    Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

1b: we will get this popup menu, select 'Luxus..'

1b.jpg
    848 x 590 - 55K
    edited December 1969

2: choose type of material from popup that follows

02.jpg
    894 x 817 - 79K
    edited December 1969

3: a new section will appear on the surface (or light... works the same) that has the luxus properties for editing

Hope this helps :)

03.jpg
    800 x 878 - 72K
    edited December 1969

This is the same basic method for adding UberSurface or UberArea Light to a surface if anyone was trying to figure that out. :)

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    mxstylie said:
    .. I still can't find how to open the material editor and light editor in Daz. Any help with that would be much appreciated :-)

Yes this is tricky, it took me a bit to figure it out. I'm doing it at a more basic level then you might need to help others that might also have problems with this:

1a: with the surface selected (surface selection tool, surface tab circled) click on the 'menu' box in the upper corner of the surface tab.

Thank you! That really helps

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Tyneshe for Victoria 4
    AlfaseeD `s Classic fantasy
    Valkynne hair
    Streets of Asia

This one kicked my butt numerous times but I percevered with it, the skin is glossy translucent with volume to simulate sub surface scattering but I think some of the detail is lost unfortunately, the hair is glossy translucent purple with a very low bright red absorption. The Classic fantasy bikini was supposed to be gold but it came out super reflective which actually looks pretty good I think, narrow angle depth of field and a little bloom for good measure.

I've been waiting for the final on this girl, and I love the way she turned out. I don't notice any missing details, but then I don't know what details were there to begin with. Great job.

• SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

As a long time Reality user I haven't given Luxus a go yet, but I was wondering if Luxus is able to read and convert the new AoA SSS shaders to equivalent LuxRender shaders and settings? If so, that would be worth the purchase price of both products imho, just for the ease of use.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited May 2013

While Luxus (or Reality) might get an update to try and scrape some info from the new SSS shader in 4.6 to try and configure it in LuxRender, it will still have to translate it to something LuxRender understands. No matter what, you are going to have different results, and probably VERY different results. The 4.6 SSS shader is a custom Shader Mixer network that is very specific to 3Delight.

Post edited by cwichura on
    edited December 1969

ahhh, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

edited December 1969

Is there a way to tell what shaders, materials, and diffuse/specular maps will and will not work in Luxus/LuxRender? I am finding that some of them work fine and some do not. For example in Stonemasons Urban Future 4 a lot of the objects show up great but the light pole is chrome. Another example the Stalker Girl Guns show up just matte grey. I'm having fun so far just want to see what I can expect. I really would like to purchase the new Subsurface Shaders but I don't want to right now if they won't work.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

The new Subsurface Shaders are specifically designed for 3Delight. Even with Luxus or Reality attempting to read their main parameters to build a SSS construct in LuxRender, they will not look the same, and probably look VERY different. They are nice looking, but they are strictly for 3Delight. Totally different engines, and no amount of translation tricks is going to change that.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    The new Subsurface Shaders are specifically designed for 3Delight. Even with Luxus or Reality attempting to read their main parameters to build a SSS construct in LuxRender, they will not look the same, and probably look VERY different. They are nice looking, but they are strictly for 3Delight. Totally different engines, and no amount of translation tricks is going to change that.

Thanks. Still open to anybody answering the other part of my question :-)

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

mxstylie said:
    Is there a way to tell what shaders, materials, and diffuse/specular maps will and will not work in Luxus/LuxRender? I am finding that some of them work fine and some do not. For example in Stonemasons Urban Future 4 a lot of the objects show up great but the light pole is chrome. Another example the Stalker Girl Guns show up just matte grey. I'm having fun so far just want to see what I can expect. I really would like to purchase the new Subsurface Shaders but I don't want to right now if they won't work.

As far as I know, most maps work just the way they are supposed to in LuxRender (only getting Displacement Maps and SubD to work right can be a bit of a hassle). Of course, as a general rule of thumb, you must edit every single surface in your scene to get good results. Auto-Conversion imho doesn't cut it.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    mxstylie said:

As far as I know, most maps work just the way they are supposed to in LuxRender (only getting Displacement Maps and SubD to work right can be a bit of a hassle). Of course, as a general rule of thumb, you must edit every single surface in your scene to get good results. Auto-Conversion imho doesn't cut it.
    Spheric said he's working on improving auto-conversion for the next release, but you're right that one can't rely on it. The settings for 3Delight are so different from the settings for LuxRender that unless the surface you're working with has been specifically coded in to the auto-conversion process, the conversion will be at best a guess.

I think the biggest shortcoming of the auto-conversion process is in converting specularity; a high percentage of materials set up for 3Delight have specular set to 100% white, which typically turns into a flat grey with little or no texture showing through when converted. Hopefully the next update will solve that problem.

edited December 1969

Thanks Barubary and Mordur. That definitely answers my question

edited December 1969

Thinking on things, those new SSS plastic shaders are so nice, I might just pick them up and do some composite renderings with both Lux and 3Delight. I'm thinking someone should do some gummy bear renderings :lol:

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Barubary said:
    mxstylie said:

Spheric said he's working on improving auto-conversion for the next release, but you're right that one can't rely on it. The settings for 3Delight are so different from the settings for LuxRender that unless the surface you're working with has been specifically coded in to the auto-conversion process, the conversion will be at best a guess.

I think the biggest shortcoming of the auto-conversion process is in converting specularity; a high percentage of materials set up for 3Delight have specular set to 100% white, which typically turns into a flat grey with little or no texture showing through when converted. Hopefully the next update will solve that problem.

I actually posted about the issues with the Spec channel conversion a couple of times, most recent again:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/315757/

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Thinking on things, those new SSS plastic shaders are so nice, I might just pick them up and do some composite renderings with both Lux and 3Delight. I'm thinking someone should do some gummy bear renderings :lol:

Yes the new shaders are very impressive, and now combined with discovering scripted 3delight, I can let Luxus mature( SpericLabs has been doing a good job with quick updates) and then give it a try later.
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Ooohhhh... Composite.... That's exactly what my subconscious has been trying to tell me! I'll give it a go on my day off :) I can't wait till my paycheck clears!!!

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Here are a couple feature requests that may have gotten overlooked from the previous fast moving thread:

1: Option to create render files without starting LuxRender (for adding file to queue, etc.)
    2: Option to 'auto-convert' a surface (instead of choosing glossy/matte/etc.)

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Here are a couple feature requests that may have gotten overlooked from the previous fast moving thread:

1: Option to create render files without starting LuxRender (for adding file to queue, etc.)

1) I will add that. If you are on Windows you can put a -v into the commandline settings. LuxRender will print the version.

2) I don't understand this. Meaning, if a material does not have the custom parameters it will be auto-converted(this could be improved). If you want to setup something manually, then that is there too. Are you wanting something in between?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:

1) I will add that. If you are on Windows you can put a -v into the commandline settings. LuxRender will print the version.

2) I don't understand this. Meaning, if a material does not have the custom parameters it will be auto-converted(this could be improved). If you want to setup something manually, then that is there too. Are you wanting something in between?

I think wrt #2 this means that based on the auto-conversion rules the Lux materials within DAZ Studio should be added accordingly (and allowed to me modified afterwards) and not "only" be auto converted to the Lux file. So basically the auto-conversion could give you a "better" base start within DAZ Studio, like e.g. already creating glossy + volume material setting with respective values when you "auto convert" skin material with SSS settings from within Studio. Currently, you have to decide for yourself within studio, which Lux material setting you'd like to have manually - if you want to adjust them.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2013

Single Distant light (sun sky2), 16.5 hours, almost 600 S/p -- yeah, there's still some grain in the shadows, but I love working with a single sunlight. :coolsmile: In a previous render I set up a white plane-primitive to bounce sunlight back towards the scene -- in this one there's a mirrored groundplane right behind the camera. That helped, but at the end I wound up having to grab my render and run, so I took an AutoLinear shot, a LinearEstimated shot, then from that raised the f-stop a couple clicks and took two of those. Composited the shots (below) later, final version up in my deviantART gallery here.

PCI20130514-Scene02bx4.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 890K
    PCI20130514-Scene02bx3.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    PCI20130514-Scene02bx2.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 861K
    PCI20130514-Scene02bx1.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 992K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has been answered previously, couldn't find it. Isn't there a way to replace LuxRender's default sky? I thought there was a product or two that does that via Reality but not for Luxus yet.

Because for a shot like what I did above I'd normally use one of my skyspheres, but of course without the ability to turn off shadow-casting that causes problems in LuxRender. If need be I can render the sky I want and a matching mask in 3Delight and composite it in later, but I thought there was a way to get it all done in Lux. Help?

• Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

my test Luxus,Reality, Octane for export DS scene (without setup mats for Luxrender or Octane)
    http://slide3d.deviantart.com/art/Render-Test-Export-from-Daz-Studio-4-6-372789084?ga_submit_new=10:1369076026