[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571

....that is interesting.   So far no install issues with teh DIM.  Not very keen on Connect as it puts things in places I don't want them to go (also there was the matter of having content encrypted so it only works in Daz making it unuseable in other progammes like Carrara).

I never use the main document's folder for anything, particularly Daz as my boot drive is smaller than my library drive.

...getting close to the final image.  Still need to make some skin adjustments and add in the old lady shopper I have in the Iray version. 

The one bugger, figuring out how to create a billboard using just the city skyline from the photo. I was able to convert the sky to an alpha channel in Gimp but it needs some form of geometry to "apply" it to for inserting in the scene so I can also use the HDRI sky. A straight plane primitive still has a diffuse colour and turning down opacity would also affect the image attached to it

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...getting close to the final image.  Still need to make some skin adjustments and add in the old lady shopper I have in the Iray version. 

The one bugger, figuring out how to create a billboard using just the city skyline from the photo. I was able to convert the sky to an alpha channel in Gimp but it needs some form of geometry to "apply" it to for inserting in the scene so I can also use the HDRI sky. A straight plane primitive still has a diffuse colour and turning down opacity would also affect the image attached to it

Make an opacity map where the sky is black, load a plane, set shadows off, plop the diffuse map into diffuse and ambient slots, both color to pure white. Diffuse strength to 0. Opacity map into opacity slot. I think that renders the fastest as no diffuse calculations are needed. I seem to have noticed using the UberSurface and setting occlusion off helps.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

...but wouldn't the black sky still appear?  I already put a question on the Hexagon forum of concerning how to make a billboard  image.

kyoto kid said:

...but wouldn't the black sky still appear?  I already put a question on the Hexagon forum of concerning how to make a billboard  image.

Drop the unaltered img into the diffuse color slot. Make an opacitymap from your alpha layer where the city skyline is white and the sky is black. Drop it into the opacity channel. That should make the sky transparent and the city skyline opaque.

...ok, I think I follow that. 

I'd also like to know how PAs like Jepe and AlphaChannel do it as actual loadable props.

edited January 2018

..NM figured out what I was doing wrong and got it to work.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833

3dl render.

AoA shaders on bike. The green is SSS bleed.

1.5 hr on a quad core duo.

GirlWithBike.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 238K
  • ParrisParris Posts: 392
    Gone said:

3dl render.

Very cool!

Gone said:

3dl render.

Beautiful!

• lookin' good, Gone!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

About the faster rendering, this is only for 3Delight renders -- is this correct? The iRay renders would not be speeded up, would they? (Just asking. Not trying to criticize.)

edited January 2018

...OK the latest with the skyline mask This took a little longer (21m:2s) due to the added transparency and larger resolution.

bus stop with HDR and city .jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Question: Is there any way to get the ground plane to pick up the light reflection from the bike without messing up the IBL? I know I can replace the ground plane with a regular plane primitive - but, then, that would have to be matched to the IBL image so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

inquire said:

About the faster rendering, this is only for 3Delight renders -- is this correct? The iRay renders would not be speeded up, would they? (Just asking. Not trying to criticize.)

Yup that's correct!

kyoto kid said:

...OK the latest with the skyline mask This took a little longer (21m:2s) due to the added transparency and larger resolution.

Nice, that skyline works very well:)

edited January 2018
    Gone said:

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Question: Is there any way to get the ground plane to pick up the light reflection from the bike without messing up the IBL? I know I can replace the ground plane with a regular plane primitive - but, then, that would have to be matched to the IBL image so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

I'd like to know that too! It seems to be an Iray custom shader. I tried to create a RSL shadowcaster in shadowmixer but I couldn't get it to work with the IBLM light shader.

@Gone Have you tried to apply UberSurface to a plane, set opacity to 0 and uncheck multiply reflections through opacity? And uncheck accept shadows and occlusion?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • KK, I don't see jaggies anymore.

..yeah, I changed the lighting model for the schoolbag to "skin" as effectively that is what leather is unless it's specifically polished or coated (like patent leather).  I have a leather computer bag as well as a video case and both have more of a dull finish.

kyoto kid said:

Nice, that skyline works very well:)

..thanks.  Yeah, I am quite pleased how that worked out.  Now that I figured out how to do this in Gimp, Ican do this whenever I need.

Looking to give Iray a run for its money with this scene just to see how far I can push it with as little postwork as possible.  Still have a few experiments I need to do so stay tuned.

Gone said:

@Gone Have you tried to apply UberSurface to a plane, set opacity to 0 and uncheck multiply reflections through opacity? And uncheck accept shadows and occlusion?

Yeah, tried that as well as default and AoA shaders. Put the plane below and above the shadowcatcher. No joy.

Anyway, I figure if it did work, it would probably reflect the overhead lights as well - and that wouldn't be any good.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152
    edited January 2018

I ran into problems that frustrated and confused me for hours today. IBL Master does not work correctly with Iray Ground Position Mode = Auto.

1) If I load the render settings preset AFTER loading IBL Master (as instructed in the IBL Master Directions), the rendered area of the HDRI does not match the preview in the viewport.  I believe the bottom of the 3DLEnvSphere is being being used to position the Auto computed ground position. The render created when IBL Master is loaded in the scene does not match the render that would be created if IBL Master had not been loaded. 

Render created without IBM Master loaded. This is correct.

Render created when render settings preset was loaded AFTER IBL Master was loaded.
    This is way wrong and does not match what IBL Maser showed in the viewport or what is rendered when IBL Master is not loaded.

2)  If I load the render settings preset BEFORE loading IBL Master, IBL Master changes the Iray Ground Position Mode from Auto to Manual and reveals and uses any value that happened to be left behind in the Ground Origin X, Y, and Z fields. Ground Origin X, Y and Z are not even visible in the Render Settings when Ground Position Mode is Auto and are not used by the Iray render engine when Ground Position Mode is Auto. So, IBL Master should not be using that value either. The result is that the render created when IBL Master is loaded in the scene does not match the render that would be created if IBL Master had not been loaded. 

Render without IBL Master loaded. Old values of 10 were left in Ground Origin X, Y, and Z but were not visible and were not used, because Ground Position Mode was Auto. This is correct.

Render with IBL Master loaded AFTER loading the render preset. This is wrong in X, Y and Z directions. It is most easily noticed where the character's feet are now underground.

Iray Auto Ground Render Setting Preset no IBL Master.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Iray Auto Ground Render Setting Preset loaded after IBL Master.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 524K
    Iray Auto Ground No IBL Master Loaded - manual XYZ was 10-10-10.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Iray Auto Ground IBL Master Loaded after render preset - manual XYZ was 10-10-10.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152
    edited January 2018

The HDRI I happened to use in the above example is 012-woonwijk-lier.hdr from Aversis. The problem is not dependent on the HDRI used.

Post edited by barbult on
  • ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 440

Been playing with it for a while and while it took some learning, it is now one of my favorites. I do find that gamma correction messes up the color for many skin presets, but it works to use it without. And I usually need to add in one light, but overall it works great. Some hair is a nightmare (but is a nightmare in any 3dl). It works well, renders faster, and gives me way more specular effects than I can get with UE, so it was worth it to me. Thanks for this!

edited January 2018
    barbult said:

... This is wrong in X, Y and Z directions. It is most easily noticed where the character's feet are now underground.

Seems like this needs to be another FAQ, so I will make one soon. Barbult, it seems like this is basically the same issue that you reported on page 10 (which I replied to here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3194781/#Comment_3194781 ). Meaning that it's about settings that get changed in Iray Render Settings > Environment that IBL Master isn't hooked up to (so there is no way for things to stay synced).

Basically, if things are not synced with transforms (rotation, translation, or scale), you should reset the transform properties in Render Settings > Environment that IBL Master does not control. 

Specifically, when IBL Master loads, it sets Dome Mode to Finite Sphere (so the scale can match) and Ground Position Mode to Manual (so that IBL Master can translate the Dome and Ground plane).

These are the transforms that IBL Master controls (Iray on the left, IBL Master and 3DL on the right): 

• Dome Scale Multiplier < > Sphere Scale Multiplier (3DLEnvSphere)
    • Dome Radius < > Sphere Radius ( 3DLEnvSphere )
    • Dome Orientation X , Y, Z < > X, Y, Z Rotate (IBL Master Control)
    • Ground Origin X, Y, Z < > IBLM Master Control X, Y, Z Translate

These are the transforms that IBL Master cannot control (you should reset these if you or a preset changes them, but you still want synchronization):

• Dome Origin X, Y, Z
    • Dome Rotation
    • Ground Texture Scale

*** EDIT: I have added this as another FAQ here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/?id=14#ui-id-15

Post edited by Parris on
    edited January 2018

Hi All,

As promised I am letting you know the status of the artifact bug. I believe I've fixed the issue and I have submitted the update to DAZ. I can't guarantee that this will eliminate all possible artifact situations as there may be other ways that you might get artifacts with IBL in 3DL. However, I believe this should fix the issue reported and shown by Sven Dullah, Kyoto Kid, and Freni-kyn.

When the update comes out, it would be great if folks could apply the change and confirm the results. Basically, Shadow Bias was broken (sorry about that). After the update is installed, Shadow Bias (bottom of IBLMLight's Light settings) is set to .2. That should help right off the bat, but if you still see black lines that shouldn't be in the render, then you may want to assign a higher value to Shadow Bias. In my tests, this fix works with Progressive render off as well as on, and with the image below, Progressive Off was significantly faster. You should see no speed hit from this fix.

***Edit ***: I forgot to add that the full documentation (including FAQs) in PDF form also comes with this update. It is essentially a printable version of the information online here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/

Image on left shows render before the fix (with artifacts around the nose). Image on the right is the fix with Progressive Off.

IBL Master Light Shader artifact bug fix

IBLMaster_artifact_bug_fix.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 638K
    Post edited by Parris on

...will give it a whirl when the update comes out and let you know.

kyoto kid said:

...will give it a whirl when the update comes out and let you know.

Cool. Thank you.