Where are My Download Links

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for offering the zips download option!!

I'm not a fan of the download manager either. Having zips will be perfect! Thanks!

Traditionally, most zips were for MACs... please have the download file specify PC or Mac zips - thanks a lot!

Once all files are converted to Zip only there will not be anything such as a PC zip and a Mac zip. The Mac zip's now contain the proper Installer for the Mac OS's supported. The Dim Zip if is just a standard Zip file. In the near future ALL DL's will be a standard Zip file which all OS's can use.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm sort of not getting why users are against the DIM files. ...

Because of the name - it implies you have to use DIM to use them.
    I know that is wrong, but many don't ...

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Okay I first want to say I like the new products library. It may have some kinks in it at first but they'll get sorted out all in due Daz time. Granted it would be better to have the bugs out before going live but after the last two site upgrades is anyone really expecting that? What I like about it though is I find there now the information I used to need to be able to tell if files I already have saved are current or if I need to download an item because it's been updated. I also like that it appears one no longer has to "reset" and then wait for a file to become available. That was only a minor annoyance but still it's nice not to have to wait.

The problem I have now though is this change in things from exe to zips. I'm not sure of the exact number of items in my purchase history but it's over 3000. Now as I understand it I have just over 15 days to go thru things, if I want to keep working with exe's on the old files, to check for updates. If the improvements to file information available to the end user had been addressed 3 or 4 years ago when we lost the ability to easily verify if we were up to date then I would have time to go thru my whole history one by one and compare them with my current backups of files to see if any need to be updated before this May 15th deadline. Since that didn't happen and I only actually have 16 days to do it there is no way I can check thru my entire history in that time unless I ignored all my other obligations and responsibilities to focus on nothing but that.

So what I'm wanting to know is what is the fastest way to get everything including .exe files so that I can sort thru them to make sure I got the latest updates without worrying about the May 15th deadline? Also in just checking out the new products library I noticed that the extremely old items like say "American Pin-Up Jamie for V3" has been transferred to the zip format already and no exe appears to be available. So how is one supposed to tell if that's an update version from an older exe installer? Do the zip files indicate in anyway the file version of older files like the newer exes do?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The filenames of the zip don't, not that it would be any help in trying to figure out if there were any differences between the zip and an ancient installer. Going forward, DIM can tell you what's been updated, but there's no way of knowing if there were updates since whatever installer you have, except by running the installer to a dummy location and unpacking the .zip to another, and comparing them. I've done that, and found that quite a few of the installers I had were out of date.

edited December 1969

Okay well that just complicates things but doesn't make them impossible. Anyway, how would you recommend I go about attempting to download my entire history before May 15th? I've talked to you before about how DIM works when DIM was first launched but I've yet to get around to it because I've been busy caring for my wife who requires a lot of care due to major health issues. As I recall though it sounded like DIM would be the best way to get everything so could you describe to me the best way to use DIM to download one's entire history without actually installing anything?

edited December 1969

Make sure the "Install After Download" box is unchecked, check the box at the top for "Products" to select everything, and start it downloading.

edited December 1969

Well dang, that was easier then I was expecting, thanks. So do I understand correctly that if I do this like today or before the 15th that will get me as many .exe's as are still available? Also since I'll be grabbing so much stuff does the DIM tell you what the total file size of what you're downloading first, so that you have a chance to make sure where you're putting it has enough room for everything?

edited April 2013

Sorry, DIM will only give you the zips, not the exe's. It gives you the size of each file, not sure if it gives a total though.

ETA: You can sort by file size, so getting the sizes of the smallest and largest should help you estimate.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • GhengisFarbGhengisFarb Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

Logged on, couldn't find the download links, couldn't find a way to view past purchases, started get all mad at DAZ again. Logged onto the forum saw "download links gone" looked at thread which showed where they were at. Okay, not full screen, so kind of irritated, notice a search box and started typing in what I was looking for..... UTTERLY ECSTATIC WITH NEW DOWNLOAD SYSTEM. Daz got an upgrade right!!!!

• edited December 1969

Sean, they are zips - if you don't want to use the DIM don't use it.

Then just freaking call them that!

Good lord, two days ago I bought three items, and what showed up in my downloadables was a list longer than a chapter of War and Peace, with very few cues as to exactly what was what. Yes, I knew which ones were Studio, so I didnt bother with those, but the rest? Inscrutable. For just one product, here's the list:

1945_SongbirdReMixThreatenedEndangeredExtinct1Legacy_1.3_dpc.zip
    Download 14.85 MB
    1945_SongbirdReMixThreatenedEndangeredExtinct1Legacy_1.3_dpc.zip
    Download 34.66 MB
    1945_SongbirdReMixThreatenedEndangeredExtinct1_1.3_dpc.exe
    Download 43.18 MB
    1945_SongbirdReMixThreatenedEndangeredExtinct1_1.3_dpc.zip
    Download 30.73 MB
    Songbird ReMix: Threatened Endangered Extinct 1
    Download 485.02 KB
    Songbird ReMix: Threatened Endangered Extinct 1 Legacy

"Legacy"? "1.3"? Is there any indication what I"m supposed to download? Nope. I gather I'm supposed to, I dunot know, guess, maybe? Download it all and see what's in there? (Oh, and incidently, that first dpc.zip file? It's an .exe — how long has that error been wandering around the store?)

And the last two that are marked as DIMs? Now you tell me they're actually zip files, even though they;re not marked as such. For god's sake, why is it so difficult to just say, "Hey, it's a zip file!" and label it accordingly? Why this obsession to make things more complicated than they need to be?

And my original question stands: why does DAZ think it has to hold the damn user's hand on everything?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Legacy is for DS4 users.
    Yes, do download those called DIM - they are "normal" zip files like you get in other places.
    The other zips are the old Mac zips.

• edited May 2013

I wont buy anything more from DAZ until they return to the old zip download system. . . I spend 3 hours today trying to install my new bought stuff. Nothing works, its a complet disaster.
    I had Daz for 4 years and do know how to operate the dir. I want my zip file install back ASAP !

I need to control DAZ install, as i run 3 diffrent version of DAZ ,DAZ3 - 32 bit - DAZ3 64 bit and DAZ4 64 bit. I do never use DAZ4, i tryed it but it does not appeal to me. . . . Ill just stick to my DAZ3 Advanced 64bit.

I am so very disapointed over DAZ. You see i am the boss here, i want to install my files myself on my pc, i want to controll what goes where and why its as simple as that. Until that is changed my money will be spend elsewhere.

UPDATE ! : I found he zip files download .. ;o) I am happy again. Well i need to say that i often have problems with DAZ files, and around 10% of the things i bought, never did work. Compared to other sites where it simply just work on first install.

Post edited by casting_1f5088ebe6 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I cannot understand what problems you are having with products from DAZ 3D not working. I have been shopping here for a great many years, since before there was even a forum in fact and have rarely, if ever, found a product that did not work.

Can you give us details of the ones that you are having problems with please.

edited May 2013

Sorry, DIM will only give you the zips, not the exe's. It gives you the size of each file, not sure if it gives a total though.

ETA: You can sort by file size, so getting the sizes of the smallest and largest should help you estimate.

Ah I guess you didn't realize what I was after when I kept talking about doing this before the 15th. So in essence you are saying that if you want .exes then there is nothing to help you? That if you have a large purchase history and can't manually get everything one by one before the 15th you're just out of luck?

Too bad the product library wasn't made available much sooner so we could have had more time or that it doesn't have an option to "Download entire purchase history".

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I cannot understand what problems you are having with products from DAZ 3D not working. I have been shopping here for a great many years, since before there was even a forum in fact and have rarely, if ever, found a product that did not work.

Can you give us details of the ones that you are having problems with please.

It will take hours to explain the details. And my time is to presious. I use DAZ and is very pleased with it (DAZ3 Adv) But i had, and still have problems installing files i bought at DAZ. I do buy other 3d model on another web, and i never have any problems with them.

One i really wanted to work was : Let it snow DS Shader - But it never worked on any versions (DAZ3 - DAZ4)

• jogasejogase Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I would like to know now how to reset a purchase ..I had a lot of trouble getting Look at my hair full version and the player to stay in at once on my other laptop so I was downloading it a lot as it kept dropping out ....now it only has the readme and uninstall in the download ..please help thanks

edited December 1969

Resets are no longer needed, just go to the product in your Product Library.

edited May 2013

Ok that's good then but I downloaded the full version yesterday and there was only the readme and uninstaller in the exe I still have exe files in my downloads....Guess I will try again today

Post edited by jogase on
    edited December 1969

Ok is there now LOL thanks for your help

• edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Legacy is for DS4 users.

What's sadly funny about that is that it's marked "legacy", but the "dpc" means it's Poser, not Studio. "ds" would be Studio.

edited May 2013

dpc daz studio/poser/carrara

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited May 2013

For the moment, you still use the "ds" notation on the store download list. Woudlnt it make more sense to apply "legacy" — since it's a Studio thing — to something marked "ds" until you get your installers squared away?

Post edited by seanmartindesign_64d900c7bd on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Ah I guess you didn't realize what I was after when I kept talking about doing this before the 15th. So in essence you are saying that if you want .exes then there is nothing to help you? That if you have a large purchase history and can't manually get everything one by one before the 15th you're just out of luck?

Too bad the product library wasn't made available much sooner so we could have had more time or that it doesn't have an option to "Download entire purchase history".

I'm in the same boat and have over 6000 files but I know the DIM files are the latest version of everything. If I have trouble with a product, I'll reinstall, if not why worry. I do use DIM but have installed only about half of them. I used to keep tons of daz exe's around and I spent some time going through all those directories just to be sure all those files were in DIM format. That got easier when the Product Library came out. Good news, I found barely a handful out of all my files that haven't been or possibly won't be converted. I deleted all the exe's and am very very happy to be rid of them. Got gigs and gigs of space back too.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

For the moment, you still use the "ds" notation on the store download list. Woudlnt it make more sense to apply "legacy" — since it's a Studio thing — to something marked "ds" until you get your installers squared away?

Huh? Why go through the process of changing the filenames of files that are starting to go away in a week?

As for those Songbird files I've always been confused by them (and now I have every one of his sets! Hurray!) and I hate to tell you this but I used DIM and installing them then all the updates was a snap. Happy, happy, happy.

edited May 2013

Speaking of the Songbird files I was going thru my product library, I saw the Legacy issue Sean Martin mentioned and I am confused by the reply which was that Legacy is a DS4 thing my understanding has been that Legacy is for everything before 4.5. So I would think that Legacy file is essentially the same as what was the old DS file for the Songbird products?

Now an issue I've also run across has shown up in the product 3054 Songbird Remix Pose Pack. The product library gives me two files of the same size one is indicated as v1.1 and the other as v1.2. What's up with that, will the product library show every version? Or is there some other reason to have both v1.1 and v1.2 and if so it might be helpful to have the product library indicate why. To confuse the matter further there is only one DIM for that product and it doesn't indicate whether it's v1.1 or v1.2

Another observation is that many files seem to show on the product library incorrectly (ie it's labeled as a zip but downloads as an exe. Some might trust that the product library is accurate and correct and thereby miss files (if they go for the .exe rather then the zip) which in turn can give the customer a bad impression of the product, the vendor and Daz. Granted this will be solved when the old installers are phased out assuming that all the DIM's are correct which is a large assumption giving what I'm seeing currently.

Also maybe to clear up some confusion on the dpc vs ds thing. Now this is an assumption on my part based on observation but when a file says dpc it's only a Daz Studio file in the sense that it can be used in studio either by putting it in Studio's runtime folder or by accessing Poser's runtime folder from Studio. Files marked ds so far in my observations have always been Studio specific and must be loaded into and accessed from Studio.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

After all this...Is is safe to checkout..????Have various items in my cart. Haven't ordered for a long time but I do like the Look At My Hair.
    Was checking the forum but didn't see anything posted. Each time I do a forum search I always get none found etc.

edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    After all this...Is is safe to checkout..????Have various items in my cart. Haven't ordered for a long time but I do like the Look At My Hair.
    Was checking the forum but didn't see anything posted. Each time I do a forum search I always get none found etc.

Sorry, what was the question, I am not quite following you.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

I have various items in my cart. Haven't purchased from Daz since they started version4. (works now)

Just wondering....If I check out will there be any problems???

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,214
    edited December 1969

There shouldn't be.

edited May 2013

vitachick said:
    I have various items in my cart. Haven't purchased from Daz since they started version4. (works now)

Just wondering....If I check out will there be any problems???

No the checkout had some bugs when they switch to the latest version of the site but they were worked out months ago.

That being said there are some new things in the works one is called DIM (Download and Install Manager) and the other is called The Product Library. If you haven't been active here in a while you may want to look into those? The Product Library replaces the old My Downloadable Products and currently will give you options for downloading either the older installer version or the newer zip version of products that the DIM uses. You can tell the DIM files because they're indicated as DIM files. The Dim files is a zip version of the exe designed to be used by the DIM but can also be downloaded manually thru The Product library. It's the exact same thing as the exe version just minus the installer. You'll also see other zips currently when using The Product Library, those are the old Mac versions. It'll be less confusing in the future as they phase out the older installers after May 15th.

As for the DIM I can't tell you much about it as I've not used it yet but basically it will not only download files for you but will automatically install them. After that when you run the DIM it'll also let you know when installed files have been updated and download and install the updates for you as well. Some people have complained about it, mainly because it's new and different but for the most part everyone I know that's used it has been happy with the results.