Daz, please stop tracking me...

Sorry, but it's really getting annoying. I'm trying to read important political news and there, smack in the middle, is a big ad for Sakura (which I already own) then onto another article an ad for Mousso's products (which I love and own several of already.) And on every single page I read is a big ad for Daz which I'm not going to click on because I already know how to shop here and I'm just finding it annoying and a turn-off.  How do I stop this???

Comments

• To me, it’s perfect because I know I’m not going to get annoying ads.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Blame Google Analytics (and the like), which analizes the web page you visit and prioritizes ads based on that.  All Daz does is put the ads out there in the wide wild web.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

Ugh. How can I stop it? And what is the point of showing me ads of sites I already know about?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Google and sign into sites you want to see ads for enlightened

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

You can use a script blocker, but that can also interfere with some sites.  I mostly use mine to keep out more questionable ad sources.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018

If you have a Google account (which often causes this): https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en

EDIT: Should work even without an account, actually.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • TryhardTryhard Posts: 166

Use all adblocks and anti-adblock blocks.

If someone gives you crap about it then tell them using adblocks nowadays is no different from using anti-virus.

• NathNath Posts: 2,712

AdBlock, Ghostery, Privacy Badger. The latter two are also excellent to block ads on sites that get pissy about AdBlock being used.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,257

Google Analytic's e.a. criteria have always been a mystery to me. I'm booking a flight to, say, Athens. In the following months or even years (and if I don't take care by using adblockers and non-tracking search engines like, e.g., Duck Duck Go) I see ads for flights or Hotels in/to Athens wherever I go. Who is stupid enough to make his algorithms 'think' I'm flying from Germany to Greece every day? Is it the belief that constant repetition breaks people, so that in the end they just hit the button and book another flight? Sorry, I don't get it. And I never react to those annoyances - at least not in the expected way devil.

I usually read (and shop at Daz) on my iPad so I'm not sure how to do this. Some sites have a reader view but I think that may remove all images and videos too. I guess I'll have to play around with it. It just can get annoying when you're reading a serious news story and Sakura (as adorable as she is) keeps popping up everywhere...

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

My local football team's forum has a pair of ads at the bottom of every page. Those I get shown are pretty much always for DS and nine times out of ten the two of them are the same as each other, which does strike me as a bit of a waste of someone's money.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,257
    edited January 2018

I usually read (and shop at Daz) on my iPad so I'm not sure how to do this. Some sites have a reader view but I think that may remove all images and videos too. I guess I'll have to play around with it. It just can get annoying when you're reading a serious news story and Sakura (as adorable as she is) keeps popping up everywhere...

If it was only Sakura...  On my iMac everything is ok, but the mobile site of a certain serious German newspaper always shows me gross (Google) ads for dubious health products against sweaty feet, nail fungus, or hallux valgus...  angry I'm not suffering from any of these problems, but I'm getting sick from these ads. I'm sure they found out that I am 50+. Does belonging to this target group mean that you are only interested in this kind of products? Meanwhile I am so fed up with this cr.. I am avoiding the site. Maybe Google's customers - like this newspaper, or Daz - should think about such effects and stop throwing their good money after such a 'service'...

Post edited by caravelle on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

LOL it wouldn't be so bad if they'd show us all the gorgeous MALES Daz has. But I get the women, over and over. 

• aspinaspin Posts: 219

Replace your hosts file with a free one available on the net, f.e. http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ and most ads or tracking are gone.

BTW: Ghostery blocks tracking, but tracks its users

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    Nath said:

AdBlock, Ghostery, Privacy Badger. The latter two are also excellent to block ads on sites that get pissy about AdBlock being used.

If a site gets "pissy" about my add blocker, then that obviously means they are showing adds that could be running potentialy harmful scripts.  I am not going to go to a site that demands that I compromise my computer's security.

btw, Adblock Plus does not block simple HTML banner adds.  This means that if a site wants to host plain old banners that can't run malicious scripts, Addblock Plus users will see their adds.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

It's funny to see ads for daz on YOUR OWN videos.

Helpful if I was a shopper and sorta fell off. Horrible, when you just left the shop and see more ads.

It feels intrusive to be honest. The first place I saw that was Amazon, where you searched for something and then EVERYTHING related to that one-time search haunts you forever.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

I usually read (and shop at Daz) on my iPad so I'm not sure how to do this. 

AdBlock on the App Store . I don't know if there's a free version, I'm not an Apple user.

I only see Daz ads when I have Adblock turned off for some reason. Whatever sites Adblock can't block, Ublock Origin catches. If both those fail, I probably don't need to go to that site anyway.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I see the DAZ ads only on sites I disabled adblocker and my iPad actually

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    avxp said:

It's funny to see ads for daz on YOUR OWN videos.

Helpful if I was a shopper and sorta fell off. Horrible, when you just left the shop and see more ads.

It feels intrusive to be honest. The first place I saw that was Amazon, where you searched for something and then EVERYTHING related to that one-time search haunts you forever.

Those Amazon ads make things really difficult when you've been looking for Christmas gifts that you don't want the family to see and they're constantly walking past you on the computer.

• To me, it’s perfect because I know I’m not going to get annoying ads.

This, indeed. Given that the companies delivering "serious news stories" need the ad revenue to function, it's not too bad seeing ads related to something you already find unobjectionable.

And it's kind of reassuring to see that these ad / tracking systems are still just really, really stupid.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited January 2018
    JamesJAB said:
    Nath said:

If a site gets "pissy" about my add blocker, then that obviously means they are showing adds that could be running potentialy harmful scripts.  I am not going to go to a site that demands that I compromise my computer's security.

btw, Adblock Plus does not block simple HTML banner adds.  This means that if a site wants to host plain old banners that can't run malicious scripts, Addblock Plus users will see their adds.

or that they need the revenue from advertising to keep the site going, and the advertisers work via scripts (as I believe most do). Of course it would be better if the advertising companies could figure out a way to avoid the issue by supplying non-scripted ads, but that may be a hard challenge.

I do block scripts, for security reasons, and so get nagged about ads but in some cases (especially if it's a polite request, as at the Guardian) I will make a donation to support the site another way.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

I agree ads are annoying most of the time, but in rare occasions they are helpful. Last week I bought 17 books, two days later appear an add with one books I was interested in tu I forget to include in my previous purchase.

• I do a lot of research for my novels. The ads I get are often amusing. Sorry, I'll have to wait a few weeks on the Bentley Bentayga. The multi-million dollar Long Island mansion may have to wait until next year

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i use a hosts file to block google analytics, etc.

nyaa nyaa google

can't stop the ads on yootoobs though.

do tablets use hosts file?  haven't owned a tablet yet. 

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

If you read news on sites you don't pay for then they will use advertising to pay for the site, that's just capitalism in action. I like it when the adverts are all for Daz. When I see another ad for Sakura my eyes just skip over it, nothing new there, nothing distracting to look at.

I do think this so called clever targeting is a bit stupid though. By giving me adverts for a site that I visit regularly they are not encouraging me to buy anything that I wouldn't buy anyway.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

The easiest way to avoid this is to not sign into Google Chrome if you use it. Use a good ad blocker and a good script blocker.

Laurie

• Adblock plus and ublock origin plugins for firefox or chrome.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

At the worst if DAZ ever does see the particulars of the sites that it's customers visit they'd only use it to improve their future product offerings to you. Personally when I had a website years ago that had google analytics enabled it never gave away customer private information although those in locations sparse with visits if the business kept a log of their customers purchases, which they have to, then they could sometimes identify the customers.

Anyway DAZ doesn't even see who sees their ads were served to unless you express interest by clicking through. Google does though so that's where your concern should rest if you are concerned with Google socially or financially bullying you. True some website unscrulpulously try to force you to click through with full page popups and what not but I've never seen a DAZ ad like that.

Of course criminals can and do break into databases all the time but that is not DAZ and not Google.

JamesJAB said:
    Nath said:

or that they need the revenue from advertising to keep the site going, and the advertisers work via scripts (as I believe most do). Of course it would be better if the advertising companies could figure out a way to avoid the issue by supplying non-scripted ads, but that may be a hard challenge.

I do block scripts, for security reasons, and so get nagged about ads but in some cases (especially if it's a polite request, as at the Guardian) I will make a donation to support the site another way.

I LOVE the Guardian! Whenever there is a major disaster/shooting whatever, they use multiple worldwide sources and have minute by minute updates. OT. But great online publication! 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Just noticed a new one - waiting for bat.bing.com .. what????