Internet Sales Tax Coming Up For Vote- Paying Tax on DAZ Products?

2»

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Excuse me?!?!?! How can one intelligently discuss the taxation of internet products without enumerating the pros and cons as put forward by supporters and opponents?

I think Jaderail meant not to wildly guess as to how any particular company might lean on this issue. Basically "don't make up stuff". :)

It's headlines at CNN. Has Amazon's and eBay's firm stance. Aka, eBay wants a 10 million dollar allowance, etc. It's stated news, not speculation.

But back to how it affects DAZ- is it a million dollar company that would be impacted? I know how much I spend, lol- I've sent them well on their way!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

It’s headlines at CNN. Has Amazon’s and eBay’s firm stance. Aka, eBay wants a 10 million dollar allowance, etc. It’s stated news, not speculation.

I know, but talking about how it affects companies where we do NOT know their stance (like DAZ) is what they don't want us doing.

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited May 2013

Jaderail said:
    Reminder: The discussion at hand is about Taxation of internet products. It is not for speculating on which companies are for or are not for taxation. Further speculation will be moderated. Your view on the issue is fine.

It isn't speculation when they've publicly supported it.
    http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020932508_amazontaxxml.html

Post edited by redhorse on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just wish to point out that any Moderation done in the Forums is a Team effort and is Handled by all Admin's and Moderators. No one person makes the decisions, we all do. One of us makes the posts you see.

That said, I re-state that Political discussions are against the Daz3D TOS. With or without information. It is not allowed.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

and you guys do a good job :)

Whether or not it passes, I think it's just wrong that practices concerning the internet aren't across the board. I feel bad for you folks who are having to pay tax or fees when others don't. Not that I'm volunteering to join you, mind you.... but I do empathize with you and wish that you didn't have to either. Well, let's just see how it does in the House now, since it's so split. Maybe a mute point. I know I wont buy as much if this sucker passes, I've got more than I need anyway.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well it looks as if it's USA customers shopping at USA stores that will be affected (so far). I live in Canada & shopping online at any site that has a Canadian counterpart (Tiger Direct & Amazon for example) gets me charged sales tax.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Well it looks as if it's USA customers shopping at USA stores that will be affected (so far). I live in Canada & shopping online at any site that has a Canadian counterpart (Tiger Direct & Amazon for example) gets me charged sales tax.

I think Amazon charges sales tax (or it´s European twin VAT) everywhere, no matter if their webstore has a counterpart in that country or not. Amazon has no representation whatsover in my country and charges me VAT still.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:

I'm in Europe and I'm very often being charged European VAT when buying from US companies. In most cases it's when the company is selling through one of the big eCommerce companies like Cleverbrigde, Plimus, DigitalRiver etc.. These companies always charges VAT. Smaller companies that handles their own CC stuff (like most 3D vendors do) usually don't.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

While Amazon has started sometimes charging me PA sales tax, they usually don't ... even though the product is classified as taxable. It seems to be determined by whether the product is being shipped out from a PA warehouse.

Unfortunately, stores don't tend to calculate the tax correctly on purchases. If the purchase includes taxable and non taxable items, they will often charge a sales tax also on the items that are supposed to be exempt from sales tax. I suppose one should have them ring the exempt items separately from the taxable.

BWSman said:

I think Amazon charges sales tax (or it´s European twin VAT) everywhere, no matter if their webstore has a counterpart in that country or not. Amazon has no representation whatsover in my country and charges me VAT still.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Like Proxima, we have the VAT -but ulike Proxima, it's at 24%. There is a threshold however, before this takes effect from purchasing online outside of Norway. This is currently ser to 200,- NOK (USD 34,00). Now, to not trigger this, I keep my purchases below 30$, and if there's something I need that costs more - well, that's where gift certificates comes into play. If any of you working at accounting wonder why I purchase several times a day, and not one big pile. This is the reason. I'm not happy about it, but I pay enough tax already. As long as status quo stays, I'll keep using this method - as none of these expenses are deductible. The drawback is that some goods you can't use this method; like anti-virus software, online lessons, but I just take the 'hit'.