SubD level for G8 rendering?

Hi all!

A while ago I posted a thread on how to get a lot of Genesis(3) figures in one scene and still be able to render it on the GPU.

Part of that thread discussed the use of the SubD levels for rendering, stating that for G3, Anything above SubD 2 would most likely be "waste" as those details would never show in a render unless it would be some sort of close-up.

Now I'm doing some renders with G8 and I have to say that while G3 renders to a great level of detail using SubD 1, SubD1 on G8 gives me pretty poor results. Also I noticed that the default value a "HD" character of G8 loads up with into the scene is SubD level 4. Now that does give me great renders...

Given that from G3 to G8, the same SubD level, clearly means a loss of detail, does that mean that the "memory footprint" of a G8 figure with a SubD 1 value is smaller than that of a G3 figure?

Does that also mean that you can, for example, put G8 at SubD level 2 with the same memory footprint SubD1 would create for G3?

I would like to start using G8 more often, but only if it can give me the same level of detail without losing the ability to put up to at least five such figures in a scene and still render on the GPU.

Does anybody have experience with comparing G3 and G8 and there SubD levels ?

Thanks a lot,

Me

Comments

• It would appear that rendereing G8 at SubD 1 results in sharp angles on the figure in areas like the shoulders and stuff... That kind of "Lo-Rez" effect only happens on G3 if you render at Subd 0...

Thanks for letting me know if I'm the only one noticing this SubD difference between G8 and G3.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The G3s and G8s are almost the same meshes so there should be no differrence from sub-d level alone.

• gibrril_fa945a6ceegibrril_fa945a6cee Posts: 540
    edited January 2018

Hi! Thanks for the reply! Well, I do have significant differences... I compared A V7 HD and a V8 HD render both in SubD 1... Huge differences... The only thing that could be causing this: I do have some morphs on this G8 figure that were transfered from G3. I will try again without these morphs.

Post edited by gibrril_fa945a6cee on
  • Hi! Thanks for the reply! Well, I do have significant differences... I compared A V7 HD and a V8 HD render both in SubD 1... Huge differences...

That's because they're a different morph?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

One of the things that can create jagged lines is the filtering in the Iray render settings. In particular if the Pixel Filter Radius is set significantly below the default value of 1.5. So if for some unknown reason you are using different settings for the two renders, this is a possible cause.

• gibrril_fa945a6ceegibrril_fa945a6cee Posts: 540
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the replies!

I will check the Pixel Filter Radius.

What do you mean by "That's because they are a different morph"? Do you mean that the G8 V8 HD morph needs more SubD level to show up than the G3 V7 HD morph does? Because that sound sto me as though G8 does have less geometry than G3 has. (G8 shows up with a lot less detail than G3) And a previous poster mentioned they were the same...

Thanks a lot,

Me

Post edited by gibrril_fa945a6cee on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the replies!

What do you mean by "That's because they are a different morph"? Do you mean that the G8 V8 HD morph needs more SubD level to show up than the G3 V7 HD morph does?

I mean that you can't compare different morphs, say "well they look different" and assume that means the base figures are different.

Because that sound sto me as though G8 does have less geometry than G3 has. (G8 shows up with a lot less detail than G3) And a previous poster mentioned they were the same...

They are the same. G8 and G3 have the same mesh resolution, and SubD works the same in both. If one morph takes a high level of SubD to show up properly, it's because the morph was designed that way. V7 is significantly older than V8; it's possible that the HD morph was designed to be used at lower SubD levels.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • If you're using a HD morph on low subD you do sometimes get jaggies depending on what the HD morph is doing. Remove the HD part of the morph if you want to render at lower subD.

• Thanks for the replies!

What do you mean by "That's because they are a different morph"? Do you mean that the G8 V8 HD morph needs more SubD level to show up than the G3 V7 HD morph does?

I mean that you can't compare different morphs, say "well they look different" and assume that means the base figures are different.

Because that sound sto me as though G8 does have less geometry than G3 has. (G8 shows up with a lot less detail than G3) And a previous poster mentioned they were the same...

They are the same. G8 and G3 have the same mesh resolution, and SubD works the same in both. If one morph takes a high level of SubD to show up properly, it's because the morph was designed that way. V7 is significantly older than V8; it's possible that the HD morph was designed to be used at lower SubD levels.

Thanks! Is there a way to tweak the morph so it can still be used on SubD 1 if this is the case?

• By the way: what is the difference between SubD Level and Render SubD level? does the SubD level (the "not render" one) have any impact on the render?

Thanks a lot,

Me

• The viewport level has no impact on the render level. No, you can't edit HD morphs thanks to DAZ policy.
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Ooh how do you change the viewport level?

• Does the viewport level have an impact on GPU Ram usage? And does it impact the way the "Iray view" looks inside the viewport? (as in: makes it closer to what the actual render looks like?)

Thanks a lot,

Me

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018

Ooh how do you change the viewport level?

The viewport shows whatever the normal "SubD Level" is set to. Then you can set the "Render SubD Level" higher to only kick in at render.

Does the viewport level have an impact on GPU Ram usage?

Probably, you can check with a hardware monitor to see how it impacts your system.

And does it impact the way the "Iray view" looks inside the viewport? (as in: makes it closer to what the actual render looks like?)

Yes, the SubD you see in your viewport is what the Iray preview will show.

Post edited by agent unawares on