Rendering Iray bloom with alpha

Has anyone had any success rendering bloom from Iray's "Filtering" settings onto transparent pixels?  I've tried using matte objects to catch it, canvases, and so forth but haven't had any success. 

This creates a really undesirable effect when rendering PNGs or canvases with alpha when using bloom.  See the image below for an example:

Comments

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

I guess it would be easyer to add the bloom in PS afterwards. 

• OZ-84 said:

You lose out on the high dynamic range information doing it that way, unless you were to do it manually, which is impractical in my case since it would be used for animations.  I'm not aware of a way to automate bloom on 32 bit formats in Photoshop.

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128
    OZ-84 said:

You lose out on the high dynamic range information doing it that way, unless you were to do it manually, which is impractical in my case since it would be used for animations.  I'm not aware of a way to automate bloom on 32 bit formats in Photoshop.

Oh i have thought about an single image and manual work :-(

However... why dont do it on a single colored plane, something with high contras, and remove the plane afterwards in AE or something similar? I mean the same way like green screen work ...

• edited January 2018

I'm going to try it out in Nuke, but it seems like overkill for something that was clearly overlooked.  That said, this apparently may be an issue consistent with 32 bit bloom though, and not just Daz/Iray.  I tested out using ArionFX (http://www.randomcontrol.com/arionfx-for-photoshop) to add HDR bloom in post, but even it won't render bloom on transparent pixels.  Sucks, since ArionFX can actually be automated from within Photoshop via action.  It also has way better bloom than Iray (even has automatic glare). 

Post edited by joeshelton0001_f3a8ae879b on
  • Since it's a post-process effect, you need something in the background to capture the effect. Transparent pixels pass light, so they can't catch it.