How do I get rid of these spots in Iray Render?

dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
edited January 2018 in The Commons

What's causing these spots on the skin (most noticeable on the chest) and how do I get rid of them?

Post edited by dracorn on

Comments

• Render 2 times as large for half the time and scale down.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    dracorn said:

What's causing these spots on the skin (most noticeable on the chest) and how do I get rid of them?

Make sure Draw Dome is enabled in your render settings, I've seen that before with a particular skin shader (doesnt' look like you're using that one, but it may be a related issue)

• Since theres not that many of them, I think it might be faster to simply photoshop them out with a small healing brush.

But rendering it again at higher res then scaling down will work too.

• That may be the bug with SSS with certain colours. I've reported it. They still haven't fixed it as I just tried it again and it still does the same effect. You could try choosing a different colour for SSS colour or selecting mono. You could also try turning on draw dome, but not sure if that would affect the final render.

Here's what it does with more extreme colours.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    dragotx said:
    dracorn said:

Make sure Draw Dome is enabled in your render settings, I've seen that before with a particular skin shader (doesnt' look like you're using that one, but it may be a related issue)

I'm not sure what is the cause, (AlienRenders appears to, though,) but I do know what is happening. Those "spots" are actually transparent pixels. Whatever background the image is on is the color you'll see. And the longer you let the image render, the more of those "spots" you'll get. I recently figured out turning Draw Dome to On gets rid of those, as Dragotx mentioned above.

A quick fix for images that you've already rendered is to render another copy of the scene with Draw Dome on, and then layer that image under the original in your graphics program. Because it won't be your final image, you don't have to render it for long, maybe 100 to 1000 iterations, (depending on your system, the size of the original image, how complex the image, etc.) And if the spots are concentrated in a single area, you can use the Spot Render tool, open Tool Settings and set the option to New Window, and just render the problem area, (with Draw Dome On, of course.)

@AlienRenders, I hope Daz fixes the issue, and it's good to know what causes the problem. Draw Dome set to On doesn't work in situations where you want the transparency, and rendering twice, (my quick fix above,) shouldn't be necessary. But I admit, I now use Draw Dome On unless I need the background to be transparent.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

OK, I have turned Draw Dome on, and have a render cooking.  I'll let you know how it looks.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

It's working!  Thanks!

dracorn said:

It's working!  Thanks!

Awesome!  Glad we could help

L'Adair said:
    dragotx said:
    dracorn said:

I'm not sure what is the cause, (AlienRenders appears to, though,) but I do know what is happening. Those "spots" are actually transparent pixels. Whatever background the image is on is the color you'll see. And the longer you let the image render, the more of those "spots" you'll get. I recently figured out turning Draw Dome to On gets rid of those, as Dragotx mentioned above.

A quick fix for images that you've already rendered is to render another copy of the scene with Draw Dome on, and then layer that image under the original in your graphics program. Because it won't be your final image, you don't have to render it for long, maybe 100 to 1000 iterations, (depending on your system, the size of the original image, how complex the image, etc.) And if the spots are concentrated in a single area, you can use the Spot Render tool, open Tool Settings and set the option to New Window, and just render the problem area, (with Draw Dome On, of course.)

@AlienRenders, I hope Daz fixes the issue, and it's good to know what causes the problem. Draw Dome set to On doesn't work in situations where you want the transparency, and rendering twice, (my quick fix above,) shouldn't be necessary. But I admit, I now use Draw Dome On unless I need the background to be transparent.

That's interesting to know if affects other things as well, I've only ever run into it using Echvo's pale skin shader for g8, but I still haven't gotten adventurous with trying new materials and such.

dragotx said:
    dracorn said:

It's working!  Thanks!

+1 yes

dragotx said:

That's interesting to know if affects other things as well, I've only ever run into it using Echvo's pale skin shader for g8, but I still haven't gotten adventurous with trying new materials and such.

For 2017's Christmas Card, I rendered a room scene, then used it for the background of the window scene, which I rendered with transparency so the background image would show through the windows. I ended up having to rerender the window scene with Draw Dome on to fill in empty pixels on the nutcrackers. That's when I finally realized I needed Draw Dome to get rid of those. I still liked the original render better, so I used the second image under the original and used the outline of the original to mask the second render and let the room show through.

L'Adair said:
    dragotx said:
    dracorn said:

It's working!  Thanks!

+1 yes

dragotx said:

For 2017's Christmas Card, I rendered a room scene, then used it for the background of the window scene, which I rendered with transparency so the background image would show through the windows. I ended up having to rerender the window scene with Draw Dome on to fill in empty pixels on the nutcrackers. That's when I finally realized I needed Draw Dome to get rid of those. I still liked the original render better, so I used the second image under the original and used the outline of the original to mask the second render and let the room show through.

It came out loking good.  I'll have to keep that trick in mind, I've never even thought about doing something like that

Thank you, @dragotx. Spot renders work really well too, especially if your graphics program will automatically stack multiple images into one, like my old Photoshop CS6 does. I do my main render, and if there are any issues I didn't catch before hand, I can make the correction, do a spot render to new window, and when I'm ready, load them all up in PS with the original on the bottom layer. Sometimes I need to mask a layer and only allow specific parts to show up, other times it's just load and flatten. Either way, I love the spot render tool. So much easier than rerendering an entire image. to fix a bit of poke-though or the like.

L'Adair said:

Thank you, @dragotx. Spot renders work really well too, especially if your graphics program will automatically stack multiple images into one, like my old Photoshop CS6 does. I do my main render, and if there are any issues I didn't catch before hand, I can make the correction, do a spot render to new window, and when I'm ready, load them all up in PS with the original on the bottom layer. Sometimes I need to mask a layer and only allow specific parts to show up, other times it's just load and flatten. Either way, I love the spot render tool. So much easier than rerendering an entire image. to fix a bit of poke-though or the like.

I really need to try that, so far all I've used PS for is the clone/spot healing tools to fix minor pokethrough.  Anything that those two can't handle I wind up just leaving, or re-rendering the entire image

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

This is the main reason I don't like the chromatic SSS shader and go back to mono a lot of the time. I hope they can fix it. It's horrible.

Laurie

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Are there any new fixes for this issue?  I just bought a new character and his skin renders with black spots or dead pixels.  The draw dome on solution above works, but one has to then render twice and layer the skin in postwork. When I tried just changing SSS to mono, that worked to get rid of the spots, but the skin color went beet red.  

One other solution I found is to use Altern8 and pick another character's "no maps" skin setting.  This works great, but again, the original skin color changes.  You may be able to get close by picking new translucency colors.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    What version of Daz are on? The 4.11 beta fixes or improves some of these issues, like chromatic SSS.

I'm on the latest non-beta version.  So when 4.11 becomes official this issue will go away?  Yay!

Are there any new fixes for this issue?  I just bought a new character and his skin renders with black spots or dead pixels.  The draw dome on solution above works, but one has to then render twice and layer the skin in postwork. When I tried just changing SSS to mono, that worked to get rid of the spots, but the skin color went beet red.  

One other solution I found is to use Altern8 and pick another character's "no maps" skin setting.  This works great, but again, the original skin color changes.  You may be able to get close by picking new translucency colors.

It will be great if and when Iray is fixed so the Chromatic setting doesn't mess up images with a transparent background. (4.11, maybe!) In the meantime, here's the workaround I often use:

• Save the scene.
    • Hide everything except the character(s)
    • Turn off all light sources, Daz lights and mesh lights, ghost lights, etc.
    • Set the Render Environment Mode to Scene Only, Draw Ground Off
    • Render using the final scene camera
    • You should now have a perfect silhouette you can use to create a mask in your photo editing program
    • Revert the scene to the saved state. You can use Undo, or reload the scene. Just don't save before reloading!
    • Set Draw Dome to On
    • Open the Environment tab and choose Backdrop.
    • Select a color that will blend into the background you have in mind. That might be Sky Blue, or Forest Green, or Pitch Black. Even with Draw Dome On, the "Backdrop" takes precedence.
    • Render your character(s)

You still have to do the postwork, but the first render—the black silhouette—doesn't need to render long. I usually let it go to 50, but I think it only needs 1 iteration as it's all black. I just like to play it safe. Create your mask for the character(s) layer and apply. Now you should have your character(s) on a transparent background.

(Actually, it will work for whole scenes, too…)

Thanks L'adair, this appears to be the best solution until the software is updated.  

You're welcome.

I actually render silhouettes for most of the characters I render, as it makes it super easy to add an adjustment layer in Photoshop and mask it to the figures. And it takes so little time to do.

• You can try adjusting the Transmitted Color to fix this problem. I've attached renders of Misumi G8, which uses chromatic SSS, showing the default and with the Transmitted Color I used. It's a change from a pinky/flesh colour to an orangey colour (note that it's quite sensitive to the exact colour used). I selected Skin/Lips/Nails selection group and changed the colour en mass as they all use the same colour setting. I can't of course guarantee this will work on all characters as material settings vary quite widely.

This issue has been fixed in 4.11.

Misumi_chrom.jpg
    750 x 886 - 154K

You do not have to wait! You can install the 4.11 beta today. If you are afraid the beta will overwrite your current install, it will not. The beta installs in a totally separate space. You can run both your normal Pro and the beta side by side.

Even better, all save files work in both versions. Save something in 4.10, load it in 4.11, and vice versa. A few plugins might not be found in the beta, but most everything else works.

So there is nothing to lose by trying out the beta. So go get it and you wont have to worry about those dots.

The new denoiser in 4.11 can also be pretty fun. Its most helpful for 3D environments. You wont believe how fast a 3D environment renders with the denoiser. While it still takes as long to converge, you may decide to quit long before convergence is reached. In some cases you might think, "this looks fine", and it hasn't even reached 10%. Its not as awesome at skin detail, but if your characters are not on top of the camera you may not miss that detail anyway. However the denoiser will absolutely slay the grain you see in shadows, including shadows on skin. So there is a trade off. If you really want the detail, you can render it twice, one with and one with the denoiser, and use a photo editor to blend the best parts of the image together.

• You do not have to wait! You can install the 4.11 beta today. If you are afraid the beta will overwrite your current install, it will not. The beta installs in a totally separate space. You can run both your normal Pro and the beta side by side.

Even better, all save files work in both versions. Save something in 4.10, load it in 4.11, and vice versa. A few plugins might not be found in the beta, but most everything else works.

So there is nothing to lose by trying out the beta. So go get it and you wont have to worry about those dots.

The new denoiser in 4.11 can also be pretty fun. Its most helpful for 3D environments. You wont believe how fast a 3D environment renders with the denoiser. While it still takes as long to converge, you may decide to quit long before convergence is reached. In some cases you might think, "this looks fine", and it hasn't even reached 10%. Its not as awesome at skin detail, but if your characters are not on top of the camera you may not miss that detail anyway. However the denoiser will absolutely slay the grain you see in shadows, including shadows on skin. So there is a trade off. If you really want the detail, you can render it twice, one with and one with the denoiser, and use a photo editor to blend the best parts of the image together.

This ^

• Hi!  I'm having trouble with these black/white spots.  I actually had trouble like this a few years ago with DAZ before IRAY, but with some SSS shaders and never could figure out the issue.  It was only certain skins.  Now that I think about it, the issue is almost similar.    

I ran across this thread trying to figure out what causes the issue and how to fix it.  I purchased RY Caprice for Victoria 8 the other day.  I need to render my work on a clear background, no ground, no dome and save as TIF, but it keeps messing up with the spots and the longer it goes the worse they get.  My program says I'm running 4.10.0.123.  It doesn't have any updates.    

The forum won't let me attach a sample because I use TIFF and I'm too tired to convert it now LOL.  When I look at the picture saved on my HD the spots appear white.   In my render they are black.  So, I'm thinking this shader bug is my issue?  That these pixels are actually "clear"?   

I don't know anything about "chromatic" SSS.  How do you know if a product uses it?  I just know I've had some weird issues with things not showing up in the renders all of a sudden.  Like my Aguja Mermaid's eye textures just would not render.  I applied the SSS shader that came with the character and that seemed to fix it, but it was rendering "clear" before I put that other shader on.  

Does anyone know how long before 4.11 is officially released?  I might try to get the beta to see if that helps..but with all these sales my HD space is getting low! :) 

Thanks.       

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Another quickfix, if you have it it to use N.G.S. Anagenessis 2, with the control click, leave maps alone option. I had issues with a character that ghosted out like that on me recently, it fixed it. Didn't seem to change the skin tone from to promo render I was comparing it to much. Ended up saving it as a character preset in  case I forget how I can quick fix it lol.

• Hi!  I'm having trouble with these black/white spots.  I actually had trouble like this a few years ago with DAZ before IRAY, but with some SSS shaders and never could figure out the issue.  It was only certain skins.  Now that I think about it, the issue is almost similar.    

I ran across this thread trying to figure out what causes the issue and how to fix it.  I purchased RY Caprice for Victoria 8 the other day.  I need to render my work on a clear background, no ground, no dome and save as TIF, but it keeps messing up with the spots and the longer it goes the worse they get.  My program says I'm running 4.10.0.123.  It doesn't have any updates.    

The forum won't let me attach a sample because I use TIFF and I'm too tired to convert it now LOL.  When I look at the picture saved on my HD the spots appear white.   In my render they are black.  So, I'm thinking this shader bug is my issue?  That these pixels are actually "clear"?   

I don't know anything about "chromatic" SSS.  How do you know if a product uses it?  I just know I've had some weird issues with things not showing up in the renders all of a sudden.  Like my Aguja Mermaid's eye textures just would not render.  I applied the SSS shader that came with the character and that seemed to fix it, but it was rendering "clear" before I put that other shader on.  

Does anyone know how long before 4.11 is officially released?  I might try to get the beta to see if that helps..but with all these sales my HD space is getting low! :) 

Thanks.       

Select the figure, open the Surfaces pane, go to its Editor tab, click the little arrow to exapnd the entries under the figure, click Skin, type type in the filter box and you should see the button for SSS Type - it will be set to Chromatic on Mono (assuming all the skin surfaces use the same setting).

• PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 8

Draw dome to On fixed it for me. I had white dots on skin only. More appeared towards the end of the render.

edited March 2019
    This creates an interesting question...we have a lot of PAs designing ONLY for Daz 4.11. A lot of of new figures use this chromatic SSS, and very few offer a mono option in their material presets. This strikes me very strange. Sure, its fairly easy to install the beta, but this detail is never included on the product description. I don't think I've ever seen a product actually list Daz 4.11 under requirements. How is the average user supposed to know this?

Users can check in the surface settings, but that is after they already purchased and installed the product. You should be better about this, Daz. People need to be informed of what they are purchasing BEFORE they purchase.

And release the official 4.11 already. What's taking so long?
    Post edited by outrider42 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I like to switch from Chromatic to Mono because it makes less trouble even with latest 4.11 beta, plus my eyes don't see the big difference since I typically only do way less than 2000 iterations on a render.

• This creates an interesting question...we have a lot of PAs designing ONLY for Daz 4.11. A lot of of new figures use this chromatic SSS, and very few offer a mono option in their material presets. This strikes me very strange. Sure, its fairly easy to install the beta, but this detail is never included on the product description. I don't think I've ever seen a product actually list Daz 4.11 under requirements. How is the average user supposed to know this?

Users can check in the surface settings, but that is after they already purchased and installed the product. You should be better about this, Daz. People need to be informed of what they are purchasing BEFORE they purchase.

And release the official 4.11 already. What's taking so long?

Don't forget that the Chromatic SSS works normally if Draw Dome is on even in 4.10.x.x