Did Daz 4.10 kill my pooter?

music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
edited December 2017 in The Commons

Hi all, just a heads up...I was running Daz 4.9 just fine and I decided to upgrade to 4.10 after reviewing some new features. I downloaded it from here, I started installing it. It removed the 4.9 version, then started to install the new one. After a one hour wait and what seemed to be a download that had stopped, I canceled the download. I then restarted my pooter. I then got a blue screen with a message that said "inaccessible boot device", and it would not repair itself even (windows 10). I am having to do a complete restore to replace everything. I have done a complete restore and put everything back in and it is working nicely. Now my question is? When I put Daz back in...should I go with the 4.9 I am familiar with, or go with the 4.10 for a fresh download, not an update for 4.9.

Edited thread title to be a question rather than a statement

Post edited by music2u4u on

Comments

• That sounds like faulty hardware, not DAZ killing your computer.

Is it still under warranty?

• I think maybe what ever went wrong with your computer stuffed the install rather than the other way around devil

in BIOS can you see your boot device? is a cable loose?

• I had a loose cable on my SSD and got a similar message booting up after cleaning my tower out once, you can also try booting up with a Linux USB to see what is all accessable

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2017

Let's say you're driving your car, and it's really really cold outside. And suddenly your car dies. Did it die because it's really really cold out? Maybe you just ran out of gas smiley

Earlier this year I'd occasionally start my desktop and get the same "inaccessible boot drive" error message. And then I'd try again, and after 1 or 2 tries it would start fine. This happened occasionally for months. Maybe a couple of times a month I'd get the message. And I might have to try 2 or 3 times to start it. The drive tested fine, memory was fine, I could never pinpoint the problem. I thought maybe a bad Windows update or something. But it was only a minor annoyance a couple times a month. Finally one day I tried maybe 6 times to restart and it wouldn't. Turns out that all that time the hard drive was dying. 

I really doubt that D|S messes with the operating system stuff that boots the system. And the fact that the system appeared to lock up during download makes me wonder if that was a dead hard drive preventing the download from proceeding. 

After my drive died I learned a lesson, and now I have 2 backup computers on my network, and every day I automatically copy any new/updated files to the backups. So next time my system drive dies I can just go over to one of the backups and continue working like nothing happened. I suggest you consider something similar. Losing months of work is not the fault of the system, it's the fault of the user for not backing it all up. Because you should assume that bad stuff WILL happen to your computer, it's just a matter of time.   

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Sorry to say but you should edit or delete this post. Your drive died while you were downloading daz and you say that daz killed your computer? 

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2017

From my experience blue screen of death, usually indicates hard drive failing or failure. 

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955

As others have said it looks to be a hardware problem and not software since you were only downloading and installing 4.10 and not actually using it..

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    music2u4u said:

Hi all, just a heads up...I was running Daz 4.9 just fine and I decided to upgrade to 4.10 after reviewing some new features. I downloaded it from here, I started installing it. It removed the 4.9 version, then started to install the new one. After a one hour wait and what seemed to be a download that had stopped, I canceled the download. It stopped and it restarted my pooter. I then got a blue screen with a message that siad "inaccessible boot device", and it would not repair itself even (windows 10). So now my new pooter will not boot up thanks to Daz! WOW...that hurts! I am having to do a complete restore to replace sone things that are noe gone and I am loosing everything I had on this new pooter. Months of work. I am not happy!

Beware of canceling an hour long "content management" part of your download.

Just because your computer is new, does not make it immune to hardware failure.

As stated above, it could be something as simple as the HDD SATA cable is not seated completely.  Or if you have a M.2 SSD, it may have come loose in it's socket during transportation.

Please do not blame Daz Studio for your hardware issue.

• I've edited the thread title to be a question, which later posts have answered, rather than a statement.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2017

That is indeed a hardware fault....not anything at all to do with DS or the cancelling of the install thereof ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited December 2017

I still wouldn't discount a Windows/driver/update issue though...

Here's a recent news article about an October Windows 10 update causing some people to get the same "inaccessible boot device" error:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

When I had an "inaccessible" issue earlier this year I immediately thought it was a Windows issue, cuz Windows updates can do bad stuff sometimes. And more recently, I was having a lot of issues for a week or two after I got the Fall Creator's Update installed. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2017
    ebergerly said:

I still wouldn't discount a Windows/driver/update issue though...

Here's a recent news article about an October Windows 10 update causing some people to get the same "inaccessible boot device" error:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

When I had an "inaccessible" issue earlier this year I immediately thought it was a Windows issue, cuz Windows updates can do bad stuff sometimes. And more recently, I was having a lot of issues for a week or two after I got the Fall Creator's Update installed. 

Sometimes I think Windows 10 IS the error...lol. Still on Windows 8 and never seem to have any serious problems (knock wood) ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437

Your pooter killed DAZ

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 2017

there have been a few incidences of BSOD after upgrading to 4.10 I read around the some of the different forums  . But most of those BSOD seem to be solved with graphic driver being updated.  I was getting BSOD after I upgraded to 4.10 as well, I could not even get daz to open for me.   I was like great my SSD is dying. ( I just burned up 2 12 gig ram sticks )  But it turned out what solve my problem was a graphic driver update, .  I know you said you have W10, do you have it set to update your graphic drivers with your w/updates?   I don't know what kind of graphic card you have,   but I would check to make sure you have the latest driver update and reinstall daz again. I always do a driver update before  update daz.   since iray came out. I hada  couple of issues after installing daz thats were graphic driver related.   

I will say its a good thing you have your things backed up , you would not believe how many people don't back up their system.   I hope you get it straighten out.

Good luck

Post edited by Ivy on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

As others have noted, this was most likely a hardware error, and from your description, a drive error. Definitely not a problem with DS. The long attempted install time coupled with the boot device error is the smoking gun in this case. The drive was failing (or as th3Digit noted possibly a lose cable), and that is why it took so long for the attempted install. It was trying repeatedly to read (and possibly write) corrupt/weak sectors on your disk. Unless it is a lose cable, at this point re-installing everything is probably not a good idea,  and may push your drive past the point where you can recover anything off of it. If you doubt the suggestions here, download a drive analysis software (many free utilities are available) and run it. Of course, if it is failing,, the analysis will use up some of the available life left in it, but you will then know for sure.

If I had this problem, I would stop using the computer, and immediately get a new drive. Clone the drive in question to the new drive (you can find free and very affordable software to do this, some drive manufacturers provide it free for their drives). Then make the new drive the boot drive, and then run drive diagnostics on the old drive to determine if it is still serviceable. But check your cable first to make sure that isn't the problem.

I've seen drives with similar issues last for weeks to months before failure, and others go on the next boot attempt (I used to "baby sit" about 500 computers, so I've seen it many times). Most decent drive diagnostic and monitoring software will give you a good idea on the drive health. I actually had one with similar issues once that just "out of the blue" developed a series of bad clusters (probably either a minor head crash, or more likely a disk defect that took a while to materialize). I used diagnostic/monitoring software from the manufacturer, and once the problem was solved, it looked to be quite serviceable. I used it for a short while as a back up drive, but then quit using it because I just didn't trust it any more.

As a side note, typically the "lost data" on a drive exhibiting the symptoms you noted can be recovered with the proper data recovery software (the last time I had to recover data off of one of my personal drives, the software cost about $80 US, but there are a few free utilities that might work). However, if you re-install software, replace lost data, or create new files on your drive, the chances of recovering lost data decline with every new or replaced file, because you re-write data to clusters that had the "lost" data on them. Using the recovery software is pretty easy, and I've had really good success recovering data on drives that still "work" (a dead drive would need to be sent to a company that specializes in it, and can be rather expensive)

As egerberly noted, it could also be a driver issue, but from your description it really sounds more like a failing disk drive, or at least a disk drive with some serious problems.

Good luck, drive failures are a real PITA.

DustRider said:

If I had this problem, I would stop using the computer, and immediately get a new drive. Clone the drive in question to the new drive (you can find free and very affordable software to do this, some drive manufacturers provide it free for their drives). Then make the new drive the boot drive, and then run drive diagnostics on the old drive to determine if it is still serviceable. But check your cable first to make sure that isn't the problem.

I'd be very wary of cloning a possibly failing drive, mainly because I'd worry that it was making errors in the data it was transferring, thereby replacing one problem with another. Personally, I've found that it's easier to just use an ISO to make a fresh system drive (really easy with W10 since the registration is tied to your motherboard...no secret code required), then going thru my downloads one-by-one and re-installing everything. It's a surprisingly fast process in my experience. And most software we own nowadays is available directly online, so just download and go.

And as far as your personal data...yeah, if none of it is backed up I guess you choice is to try and copy from the bad drive and hope for the best. When it happened to me, as I recall, I copied a bunch of folders to a new drive, but when I tried to open them a bunch weren't there. Weird.   ​