No Daz Free Models?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

DId Daz stop doing free models? like absolutely free? Because it seems the only free models out anymore require you to buy something else first, which kinda defeats the purpose of "free".

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

As it is right now, there is no "completely free" freebies at DAZ3D but if you PC member, you get all weekly freebies without a need of purchase, and additionally an extra monthly freebie with no need of purchase.

• edited December 1969

Nah, I'm never doing PC again. I went through hell with support over my membership. Even with evidence supporting that I should have had a membership, they decided to essentially call me a liar and cancel it anyway. Way to make a customer feel valued there. I guess I'll just save my money and wait and hope they decide to do something for non PC in he future. though doubtful.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2013

The PC has new management, new practices, and new policies. After a technically disrupted year I think you will find this is not the. P C of yesteryear. Its getting better every day

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

You do get Genesis with DS4.5. I know, I know. Genesis is pretty much tied to DS but after having a conversation with someone in Marketing (not DAZ but my own employers) you would be amazed at how convoluted some of their reasoning is.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

icprncss said:
    You do get Genesis with DS4.5. I know, I know. Genesis is pretty much tied to DS but after having a conversation with someone in Marketing (not DAZ but my own employers) you would be amazed at how convoluted some of their reasoning is.

The reasoning is reasonably straightforward: give away the first trial item (in this case, Genesis) and make money on the add-ons for that item.

(Or "the first hit's free" - there's a reason some people here call themselves "Dazaholics"...)

It would be nice if they'd do the same with some of the other items. For example, I know the Morphing Fantasy Dress is $1.99 if you're in the Platinum Club, but that isn't the same as free... (and I wouldn't care anyway, since I already have most versions of the MFD).

Post edited by robkelk on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited May 2013

The PC has new management, new practices, and new policies. After a technically disrupted year I think you will find this is not the. P C of yesteryear. Its getting better every day

I agree with "not the P C of yesteryear" statement, but it applies to DAZ in total too. However, the "getting better every day" platitude begs the question "for whom"?

Who doesn't realize that DAZ has been plugging all the money leaks, by upping prices, reducing service, not worrying about forum functionality losses and essentially ignoring Bryce, Mimic, Hexagon, and Carrara. While we angry villagers with torches and pitchforks were beating on the gates of the old DAZdom it was conquered through the back door by a corporate mentality and turned into marketing zombies. I'm not so sure I want in, anymore. 8-o

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Without any insight to DAZ's business beyond what I have observed here past few years, it seems to me that Genesis and DS 4 was a massive investment in R&D and the follow on strategy to grow the market (by giving away the DS Bryce and Hexagon) was a expense that required the company to concentrate its resources.The company also spent R&D money and embraced in its "competition" by sharing technology and establishing interfaces with third party 3D applications. If the strategy worked should be in a good posture to benefit from and renew R&D broader scope (to include Carrara and Hex) supported by a larger consumer base.
    The enthusiasm and concern voiced n the forums on the topic ultimately emphasizes to that company "that we too are stakeholders in DAZ success".

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

The only thing I have seen so far is making the non-PC pay for what used to be weekly freebies, or fork out an x amount per month to get them. I've been a PC member for quite some time, but had to stop doing so due to my health and reduced income because of it.

Sorry for being more then sceptical here, as they ONLY reward those here that keep the money coming in.

The boards are in dire need of colour scheme's, instead of this icky white crap and support is at an absolute minimum from the looks of it.
    Until they start addressing those shortcomings, I certainly will not rejoin.

edited December 1969

You think the PC Members need to have customizable skins for the forum? I'm old school I just plaster a sheet of this stuff on my screen when I dont want to see icky white crap.

2192331470_c75f5a1d36[1].jpg
    460 x 395 - 96K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited May 2013

...the simple solutions are usually the best. :cheese:

That's how they "colourised" some of the early video games.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

You mean my trusty Vectrex? Its been banged and bruised, sits dusty in my garage but 30 years later the dang thing still ticks when my timex gave out long ago ;)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the simple solutions are usually the best. :cheese:

That's how they "colourised" some of the early video games.

In fact, in the 50's and early 60's you could even buy colored plastic sheets to paste over your early B/W TV screens. The sheets had three color stripes. You put the bluish stripe at the top and the greenish stripe at the bottom to simulate sky and ground. Good solution for viewing the original B/W broadcasts of "Rawhide" or old John Wayne movies. But kinda wierd for most everything else. 8-o

To take the idea to it's completion, the early CBS method* of broadcasting analog color TV used three color filters (Red, Blue, Green) on a rotating wheel in front of the small B/W TV screen. The wheel was kept in synchronization with a similar wheel in front of the live TV camera in the studio. It worked (sort of) but had irritating problems of its own. It was quickly replaced by the all electronic NBC method (we know it as NTSC) by the late 50s that was used here in the US until just a couple of years ago when we migrated away from analog transmission and went all digital.

* http://colortelevision.info/CBS_Chronology_rev_h_edit.htm

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/pop_mech_5-51.pdf

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    The boards are in dire need of colour scheme's, instead of this icky white crap and support is at an absolute minimum from the looks of it.

I rather like the simplicity of the white colour scheme... but I liked the cover to The Beatles' "White Album", too.

And I'd rather see functioning galleries than a way to change the background colour...

• edited December 1969

Well, we also seem to have the usual problem of folks not really communicating with each other. Tonight, a particular item shows on the store page at 100% off. Go to the item in question and it's tagged 50%. Maybe there's some additional thing you're supposed to do, but it's not mentioned anywhere, so I can only account this to being yet another store mishap.

(And yes, sent a support ticket about this — but this is in case anyone else discovered this anomaly.)

Screen_shot_2013-05-04_at_10.26_.53_PM_(2)_.png
    1280 x 800 - 603K
    edited December 1969

Seems to be fixed, it now shows as 50% off....

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Well, we also seem to have the usual problem of folks not really communicating with each other. Tonight, a particular item shows on the store page at 100% off. Go to the item in question and it's tagged 50%. Maybe there's some additional thing you're supposed to do, but it's not mentioned anywhere, so I can only account this to being yet another store mishap.

(And yes, sent a support ticket about this — but this is in case anyone else discovered this anomaly.)

It's only free for PC members or with a purchase.

• edited May 2013

Is this hidden somewhere? Because it sure isnt on the store page, and it's not on the specific item page. If anything, the store page has now been changed to 50%.

EDIT: And now it's back up to 100% — and there's still nothing, anywhere, that says this is a PC item.

Post edited by seanmartindesign_64d900c7bd on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is this hidden somewhere? Because it sure isnt on the store page, and it's not on the specific item page. If anything, the store page has now been changed to 50%.

http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content

• edited May 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content

WOULD IT KILL YOU TO PUT THAT INFORMATION ON THE PRODUCT PAGE??? I mean, honestly how difficult is that? You put something on a vnedor's page that says 100%, I take it to mean 100%, not "100% if you buy something else" SINCE THAT'S NOT SAID ANYWHERE BUT ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PAGE THAT'S NOT LINKED ANYWHERE ON EITHER THE STORE OR THE PRODUCT IN QUESTION.

This is just freaking stupid, I'm sorry.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

WOULD IT KILL YOU TO PUT THAT INFORMATION ON THE PRODUCT PAGE??? I mean, honestly how difficult is that? You put something on a vnedor's page that says 100%, I take it to mean 100%, not "100% if you buy something else" SINCE THAT'S NOT SAID ANYWHERE BUT ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PAGE THAT'S NOT LINKED ANYWHERE ON EITHER THE STORE OR THE PRODUCT IN QUESTION.

This is just freaking stupid, I'm sorry.

It is in this section of the store http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content and thus free, providing you purchase another product. So if you look for Free products on the index it is easy to find the information.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited May 2013

Sorry, but you dont get that as a pass.

If I come to the store and I see (1) a vendor's store on special, then (2) a store page that says a certain item is 100% off with no additional verbage about "buy something, then you get it free" on the specific item page:, then I bloody well expect it, like any *normal* consumer would, to be 100% off, pure and simple. Just because your store minions are too lazy to put that info on the item page is no excuse. Just because you expect everyone who comes to the store to know where you put store policy is no excuse, There was nothing to tie this to your usual thing of "gotta get somethig else": it was plainly and simply marked — as that screen shot shows — to be a freebie, not a freebie with a string attached.

Let's be completely clear about the chain of events. Im at FastGrab, and there's a slide show. Slideshow shows vendor's store is half off, takes you directly to vendor's page. Vendor's page shows an item 100% off. Nothing else, 100% off. But item page says 50& off. You made a mistake. Try, for once in your life, to man up and admit it, with some kind of vague promise youll try not to do it again in the future. But do NOT blame the customer just because *you* didnt provide all the correct information.

You really want to send people away from this store? Keep it up with that attitude. I guarantee, it will work.

• PoacherPoacher Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I don't understand, who is it you are talking to. I thought these forums were for members to use, not the Daz people per se.

• edited December 1969

Poacher2 said:
    I don't understand, who is it you are talking to. I thought these forums were for members to use, not the Daz people per se.

I'm talking to a mod who apparently finds it inconceivable to consider the possibility of saying "Oh yeah, maybe they should have done that. Sorry about that; I'll pass the word on to the PTB so they dont do it again." A ticket has been sent to Customer Service, but I originally posted so that other members wouldnt fall into the same trap.

Are we clear now?

• PoacherPoacher Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Poacher2 said:

I'm talking to a mod who apparently finds it inconceivable to consider the possibility of saying "Oh yeah, maybe they should have done that. Sorry about that; I'll pass the word on to the PTB so they dont do it again." A ticket has been sent to Customer Service, but I originally posted so that other members wouldnt fall into the same trap.

Are we clear now?

As the glitch seems to have been sorted out now and the item is no longer showing as a free item in the ordinary store, as noted above, it does seem that the problem was reported and thus your comments are somewhat unnecessary.

• edited December 1969

Poacher2 said:
    Poacher2 said:

Are we clear now?

As the glitch seems to have been sorted out now and the item is no longer showing as a free item in the ordinary store, as noted above, it does seem that the problem was reported and thus your comments are somewhat unnecessary.

It was necessary when it was originally posted. And apparently, the mods cannot lower themselves to admit that, yeah. maybe it was a glitch, possibly even a full-fledged mistake. Instead, by not knowing about additional page not noted anywhere in the chain of events, they preferred to rush to the conclusion that the customer must have been wrong, not DAZ.

Hmm.

Anything else?

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

It used to be that we could post in the forum about an issue that is going on and the CORPORATE people would be watching, reply, and be able to resolve issues - you've not been around long enough to remember when that happened as the rule, not the rare exception, Poacher.

I am pretty sure that the item Sean is referring to is this one:

http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content/cargo-units-1

It is a weekly freebie for PC members and free with purchase for non-members. The product page should be showing it as 100% off ONLY TO PC members, and clearly there was some glitch in the system that was having it show up as free on the product page to non-members as well, or he wouldn't have seen it (assuming he is not a PC member). I believe that is the frustration - that he was sort of told that he should be able to figure out that it's not really free, rather than being told "oh, that shouldn't say 100% off if you're not a pc member, we'll let Daz know there's something wrong"

Perhaps the mods didn't understand what was being said, because to reply that you can go here or here to find out if things are free is not the issue at all - the issue is that the product page was wrong. It is up to Daz to fix things like that, not up to the customer to figure out that "oh, it can't be free because it's on the free for PC members only page".

That's certainly something that SHOULD be brought up in the forums, rather than in a support ticket which could take days to resolve, so that someone can fix it and not have a lot of people confused and/or upset about seeing something that says it's free when it isn't.

I feel for people like Sean and many of us who are so very frustrated about the way Daz is operating these days, and I also feel for the mods who have spent the last year dealing with all the frustration...

edited December 1969

Exactly Alisa.

It is frustrating enough that as a registered member and customer I'd be forced to get PC or buy other stuff just to get freebies now, other then from the wonderful folks at the freepository. It's so great to be treated as something to be scraped off a shoe for the spending I have done over the years...