Carrara 8 Pro V.S. 8.5 Pro, is it worth the upgrade?

I rarely touch 3D modeling and animation anymore, unless I have a small or special project to work on. I started out with carrar 3 before Daz aquired it starting with Carrara 6 or 7. Anyhow, I just recently upgraded my mac os to 10.13.1 High Sierra. Last time I used Carrara 8 pro I rendered out a small project no problem; that was before I installed a mac os upgrade. Now I try to render something small, and the program crashes. I wonder if I should uninstall carrara then reinstall it and hopefully that will cure this problem. If not, I read in past forums that upgrading to 8.5 pro resolved a few different crash issues. I just don't want to upgrade any carrara software just yet unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts, ideas, solutions may help. I also wonder if there's any other significant difference between Pro 8 and pro 8.5 to make it worth while?

Post edited by Artistic Touch Multimedia Art and Design on

Comments

• So I notice there were 21 views since I posted this about seven hours ago. I guess some don't have an answer for my questions yet. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and purchase the 8.5 pro upgrade with the quarterly plat discount using a gift card so i won't be  charged automatically for plat club the next quarter. It only ended up costing little over $46.00 for the upgrade. I haven't installed 8.5 pro yet, hoping this fixes the current problem. I already uninstalled 8 pro last night.

• Update: It looks like uninstalling 8 pro then installing upgrade to 8.5 pro fixed the render crashing problem. Now I need to figure out how to install the program in Root mode using my mac, because installing it under admin with password is not working. It will continue to ask me for serial number every time I want to start up carrara if I don't install in root mode otherwise. Does anyone have step by step walk throughs on how to install Carrara through Root mode on a mac?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

welcome to 8.5 smiley

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 2017

Double post

Post edited by DUDU on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 2017
    DUDU said:

Serial number:

I have this problem when I open carrara by double clic on a project icon rather than to load it when carrara is already open.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • I use Windows hence my lack of reply.

8.5 has the advantage of being able to load most not all DAZ 3D duf files which nearly all new DAZ content is if you use that, the exception being the Genesis 3 and 8 figures as is, Misty’s fix from Renderosity is needed for that as DAZ was not interested in making them Carrara compatible, genesis and genesis 2 figures work.

So I can fully understand if you are not interested in buying DAZ content as they are not interested in selling it to Carrara users cheeky

There are however other fixes in 8.5 including the FBX import and soft body bullet physics has more parameters.

FBX will import most meshes with bone rigging from other apps well, ironically not DAZ studio but certainly iClone and some Mixamo / Fuse stuff it, depends on how it was exported I found ones I did from one version worked another was a mess, have not got Adobe cloud installed now to test further.

Makehuman imports well as does Unity game engine figures 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

I never liked using shape lights until they got their upgrades in 8.5

There are many other things I love about 8.5 over 8 as well

Sorry, I am also a Windows user, so couldn't help with the actual question

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

yep.. Windows user here as well so I can't help

I think the Mac users go on holiday December 1 devil

• OH just remembered, did they ever fix the absence of the FBX extension in the Mac version?
    I believe you had to contact customer support to get it

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I have a Mac and I've never used Root Mode. In fact until the High Sierra root bug a few weeks ago, I didn't even know how to invoke it.

I simply downloaded Carrara via DIM, allowed DIM to install it, and it worked fine. Once that's done you need to configire DIM with the install location (cos it's a bit, er, dim) so it installs the content files correctly. Job done.

It MIGHT need DS installed for some of the  smart content database handling, but I have DS installed anyway so that wasn't an issue. I only rebuilt my Mac a month ago, and the reinstall of Carrara, DS and content was smooth and flawless as can be.

Wendy, you are correct - I still had to install the FBX dll from the email support sent me a while back.

• Thanks for everyone's feedback. I hope everyone is having a nice holiday season.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I hope everyone is having a nice holiday season.

Wishing you Happy Holidays as well! yes

Thanks!

• Update: It looks like uninstalling 8 pro then installing upgrade to 8.5 pro fixed the render crashing problem. Now I need to figure out how to install the program in Root mode using my mac, because installing it under admin with password is not working. It will continue to ask me for serial number every time I want to start up carrara if I don't install in root mode otherwise. Does anyone have step by step walk throughs on how to install Carrara through Root mode on a mac?

You shouldn't need to install it under Root. You might just need to have it in Root mode to enter the serial number. And before the Windows users get too smug, Carrara had the same issue with security permissions for you guys at one point as well. cheeky 

• evilproducer said:

Update: It looks like uninstalling 8 pro then installing upgrade to 8.5 pro fixed the render crashing problem. Now I need to figure out how to install the program in Root mode using my mac, because installing it under admin with password is not working. It will continue to ask me for serial number every time I want to start up carrara if I don't install in root mode otherwise. Does anyone have step by step walk throughs on how to install Carrara through Root mode on a mac?

You shouldn't need to install it under Root. You might just need to have it in Root mode to enter the serial number. And before the Windows users get too smug, Carrara had the same issue with security permissions for you guys at one point as well. cheeky 

Yeah I tried uninstalling C 8.5, then reinstalling it in root mode including registering it under root mode with the serial number. Still running into the same issue. I can always try it again and see if that fixes the problem. Odd though.