Puffy Jackets?

Hi I've bought Autumn Jackets for Genesis 3 from the store but wondering is there is a puffa jacket/down jacket/coat that undoes as the one I have does not?

thanks.

Comments

• Pet Peeve #1: Clothing you can't open. And they have the nerve to ask money for it. They should at least be required to state up-front that it cannot be opened. Not in the Features List, but the first line of the description, in bold letters.

But to answer your question, for some stupid reason I can't find one n the Daz store when searching for Jacket or Coat.

• is rare clothing does open, it is the exception rather than the rule so rather if it did I would expect a morph to be listed not otherwise

• And I expect progress from the content creation community, especially the ones using Marvelous Designer, since the morph to open is as simple as unstitching the zipper or buttons. But alas, after 20 years, tops that open fully are still the exception. A 5 second operation apparently translates to a $4000 price increase.

• load two jackets

hide half of each with the geometry editor

use a Dformer to open it

(do not ask ne how I use Carrara and the vertex room but that is how you can do the same)

• Most clothing (even some oldies from Vicky 4 era) have morphs that allow you to expand or contract an object, open it perhaps. Don't these have it as well? You can find the controls in the shaping section.

I know, maybe not quite the same effect, but close enough.

• And I expect progress from the content creation community, especially the ones using Marvelous Designer, since the morph to open is as simple as unstitching the zipper or buttons. But alas, after 20 years, tops that open fully are still the exception. A 5 second operation apparently translates to a $4000 price increase.

Do you know where I can get a tutorial to learn how to do such things please?

• In Marvelous Designer, when you stitch the two front pieces together with either buttons or a zipper, you export that OBJ as the Closed morph. Then, unstitch the closure and run the simulation in MD. When it finishes, it should be fully open. Export that OBJ as the Open morph.

If its something you've already got, the only way I can think of to do it in DS is to cut it open with the Geometry Editor, as th3digit suggested, and apply dForce to it. Select the polygons where the front closes on both halves, hide the selected polygons, then Delete Hidden Polygons. Once you apply dForce, these two sections won't be attached to each other and should open. By using various primitives to constrain the pieces, you can give it some shape, such as another figure reaching into the jacket.

Or you can contact the vendor and ask them to add some degree of functionality to their product.

• glennblackphotosglennblackphotos Posts: 160
    edited December 2017

Any ideas how I contact the vendor? 

In Marvelous Designer, when you stitch the two front pieces together with either buttons or a zipper, you export that OBJ as the Closed morph. Then, unstitch the closure and run the simulation in MD. When it finishes, it should be fully open. Export that OBJ as the Open morph.

If its something you've already got, the only way I can think of to do it in DS is to cut it open with the Geometry Editor, as th3digit suggested, and apply dForce to it. Select the polygons where the front closes on both halves, hide the selected polygons, then Delete Hidden Polygons. Once you apply dForce, these two sections won't be attached to each other and should open. By using various primitives to constrain the pieces, you can give it some shape, such as another figure reaching into the jacket.

Or you can contact the vendor and ask them to add some degree of functionality to their product.

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Any ideas how I contact the vendor? 

Contact Customer Service with a request to send a message to the PA in question, plus suggest that they alter requirements for clothing that people feel must open if the real world garment does.

How many copies would they sell of a jacket for example to make it worth their while to do these extra things?

• How many pass on an item because it does not illustrate these extra things in the promo images? I've passed on a lot of content that looks nice but doesn't illustrate a wide range of functionality, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• How many pass on an item because it does not illustrate these extra things in the promo images? I've passed on a lot of content that looks nice but doesn't illustrate a wide range of functionality, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

DAZ expects the PAs to provide images of any included textures and supported body shapes, plus at least one promo image of the untextured version of the outfit, so in general that's what is supplied for the store page. Anything not covered in the promo images will be list in the text underneath.
  • I do read the features lists, because images usually only tell half the story, or only tell "the good parts". I almost bought the Women's Suit A For G2F. It looks like a nice piece. Then I read the features list and was completely underwhelmed and driven away from it due to the stated limted functionality.

It's extremely difficult to animate clothed figures when you can't find the assets that you need to bring a story to life. What little fully-functional content I do have either implements the functionality morphs improperly (a jacket that opens and closes but passes through the figure to get from one state to the other) or the author modeled pose-based folds into it because that's what they wanted to see themselves, which means it's only good for the one scene they made it for. You can walk around all day with a wrinkled shirt, but no one can go 5 minutes in a shirt that is twisted.

• I do read the features lists, because images usually only tell half the story, or only tell "the good parts". I almost bought the Women's Suit A For G2F. It looks like a nice piece. Then I read the features list and was completely underwhelmed and driven away from it due to the stated limted functionality.

It's extremely difficult to animate clothed figures when you can't find the assets that you need to bring a story to life. What little fully-functional content I do have either implements the functionality morphs improperly (a jacket that opens and closes but passes through the figure to get from one state to the other) or the author modeled pose-based folds into it because that's what they wanted to see themselves, which means it's only good for the one scene they made it for. You can walk around all day with a wrinkled shirt, but no one can go 5 minutes in a shirt that is twisted.

Animators are a small but growing number of the potential customer base. The majority of buyers are satisfied with the modeled in wrinkles and less than accurate morphs, since most folks probably don't even use them if they exist.