Oso Master Shader1 for Iray [Commercial]

I am excited to announce the imminent release of Oso Master Shader1 for Iray.

This is the culmination of two years of experiments and effort, creating a sophisticated new shader. It started as a noise-based layering shader, where a controllable noise map masks two different layers. But it does so much more.

There's a noise generator to mask two different sets of parameters: metallicity, translucency, diffuse color, refraction, luminosity, and much more.

There's also the ability to add a direct image map to mask the two layers, either in combination with noise or by itself.

Displacement normally won't properly 'engrave' surfaces; if the max displacement is .1, the depth of displacement is capped to the same value. With OMS1, that's changed -- you can deeply engrave surfaces.

Rotate the two layers.

And more...

There are a bunch of presets for different characteristics, like volume parameters. There are full presets, but also presets for the base or overlay layer, so you can mix and match as you like.

In addition to all of that, here's an interesting preset I developed... Fantom! Once exclusive to 3DL, now... you can create Fantom effects in Iray.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Sounds ... er, confusinf as heck?  Sounds liek something I'd like to play with, but I honestly don't undertand a word of what you said!!!!  Ok, that's a lie, I follow the Fantom stuff, but all that masking layers malrakey?  Oh, understand the rotating bit too, well I'd have to be able to, my head is spinning at teh moment cheeky

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

The presets should make actual use pretty easy, sort of a learn by doing thing.

Like 'silver and gold... ok. Done.'

This is one of the promos showing basic capabilities.

Popup_5.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 287K

I can live with 'monkey see, monkey do', but sometimes I also liek ot have a clue of a bit of what goes on underneath the covers.  I get the general idea, but would it be possible to, say, show 3 spheres, 1 with base texture A, one with base texture B, and one showing how they end up when mixed/layered/whatevered by your shaders?

Here's another promo.

There is a map parameter called 'Overlay Magnitude Map.' You can use it to overtly mask how much the overlay map is applied. In the promo, there's a simple map of a bunch of dots to mask the effect.

The top right Overlay layer has displacement noise. Where the overlay layer shows, that noise kicks in. Where it doesn't... it doesn't.

Popup_4.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 272K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Oso3D said:

Here's another promo.

There is a map parameter called 'Overlay Magnitude Map.' You can use it to overtly mask how much the overlay map is applied. In the promo, there's a simple map of a bunch of dots to mask the effect.

The top right Overlay layer has displacement noise. Where the overlay layer shows, that noise kicks in. Where it doesn't... it doesn't.

That's pretty neat so I could use this to make decent looking shirt buttons for example? 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

This looks kind of amazing - are you going to leak any more promos? The second one looks really interesting (the one with the red glow or the black lumpy stuff overlaid on shiny places) And is the fantom image for real? That should really sell it. Good luck with the release, whenever it will be.

• Cool! More stuff to give us more flexibility. Hope it comes out soon, Will!

• Awesome!

Nonesuch: I suppose?

I'm going to try to whip up some images from now until whenever, though I'm hard at work on more stuff. ;)

One of the things I'm really happy about is that while the current Iray Uber shader lets you vary diffuse color, you can do wild things like having cloth and glass or metal and flesh or... whatever, all in one surface. There are some skin settings to help convert regular skins so you can make bits glow or be metal or... so much more.

• "My God; it's full of stars"...

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

That's great looking stuff, Will! Good luck with the release! So you solved the Fantom thing, well done, will it be ghost opacity next?

I've been trying, but no luck so far. ;)

• Is ghost opacity what pwGhost did?

I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.

It's trivial to set up somewhat ghostly stuff in Iray, but you have the 'xray' problem of seeing back surfaces and so on. Getting only the 'facing surface' to appear and then be translucent is... tricky. I'm not sure it's possible in Iray. But then I didn't think Fantom was, either.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017

Yeah, I can get the fresnel edges fine, but culling the "normally" hidden faces? No idea how right now.

Post edited by agent unawares on

Is ghost opacity what pwGhost did?

Lol, still does!

• Is ghost opacity what pwGhost did?

Lol, still does!

Doesn't for those of use who don't want to be pinned to 3DL.

Let's not have that fight here. ;)

Anyhoo, this is kind of a weird render, but it highlights something I'm very happy about and proud of in this product, which is the ability to have fairly convincing smoke and cloud effects. Where this exceeds other attempts is the procedural displacement, which helps create that rippling effect, plus some variation in refraction to capture more surface qualities to give it dimension.

Anyway, here you go.

Smoke and bone.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 171K

I love ityes

• Looksa awesome.

• pdspds Posts: 593

Looks intriguing, Will! I'm a sucker for new and unique IRay shaders. It will be exciting to see what people can do with it once it drops. I'm glad you've become a PA!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

This looks really great Will, I'm dying to try it out :)

Laurie

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

Looks great.  Hopefully it will come out in January when my finances have started to recover.  :)

More fun layering possibilities.

There are several skin options so you can 'convert' existing figures and then add ... weird stuff.

Burning.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 352K
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Okay this is the sort of stuff that I hold on to 3DL for.  Well, this and ghosts and shadowless objects... but I'll take what I can get. :)  Looks really cool.

• Looks like this is one of those products that I will buy and figure out how and when and why to use it later.

I STILL don't know what it does, but I'll be applying it as a shader- with different settings and seeing what happens.

Bring it, you wizard.

It’s live it’s live wooo!

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-master-shader1-for-iray

Enjoy!

Grabbed it right away smiley

Nice looking promos, congrats!!!

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

FYI: The Metadata is messed up; all the shaders show up in Lost and Found under Oso Master Shader1 for Iray.

That said, now that I found them, let's make some magic!