Hiding Parts of Figures

I have scenes where I want to hide parts of Figure bodies so that the Camera isn't blocked. I know how to click the eye in the Scene Pane to make them invisible, however their eyes and mouths remain visible. I don't see how to hide them. Any tips for doing this?

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Select the head in the scene tab, and click on the small triangle in front of it. That should open the figure bone hierachy, so you can then see the eyes and teeth. Just click the eye in front of them and they should vanish.

• With the more recent figures that can be a lot of parts - what I would do is select the head, right-click on it in the Scene pane and select Expand>Expand from Seelcted, shift-click on the last bone (so all from the head to the last bit of tongue, or whatever comes last, were selected), then go to the Parameters pane and use the Visible button there to hide them all.

• For both of these responses it sounds like you are expecting there to be additional bones under the Head in the Scene tab. For the "small triangle", do you mean the one that you normally would use to expand the heads tree in the Scene tab?

There is nothing beneath the Head in the scene tab. Please see attached picture.

Head in Scene Tab.png
    501 x 235 - 12K
  • poorman_65poorman_65 Posts: 140
    edited December 2017

Never mind! My bad! I had used the word "head" to get to the head in the tree which caused all of the elements below it to dissapear. I wish there was a way to go to the bone that you want without filtering the way that the search does.

Post edited by poorman_65 on
  • What figure is this?

• It is with a G8 Male. 

• Then you certainly should have those extra bones. Have you customised the figure or is this just loaded from the library using the default preset?

• Once I discovered my mistake with the filter, I am able to see all of the bones below the head. I can now hide the head. What I am doing isto stick a camera in place of the head for first person shots. It seems to work ok but I wish I could actually attach the camera in place of the head so that I don't have to reposition every time my Charactermoves.

• You should be able to parent the camera to the head. Make sure that Parent in Place is checked in the Scene pane option memu (if using drag and drop) or in the Change Parent dialogue.

• A couple of tips for anyone that reads this later.

1) For making things invisible, you can Create a Group and parent things into it. Then you can change the visibility of the Group and it works on everything in the Group. I am using this now for my Characters which was my problem that originated this thread, but also I have created Groups for various things in my scene and then put all of those Groups except for "Lights" into one "Environment Group". I use this to hide everything except Lights when I render my Figures animations and then hide my figure and make the environment visible to render a background image with proper lighting affects.

2) mCasual has a script that actually creates, parents and positions a camera to a Figures head accounting for the nose. The script is called mcjMakeHeadCam. He has a lot of scripts that have already saved me a lot of time in just a week of work.

• You should be able to parent the camera to the head. Make sure that Parent in Place is checked in the Scene pane option memu (if using drag and drop) or in the Change Parent dialogue.

What I do is a two step process:

1. Create a new camera, move it to X=0, Y=0, Z=0, X-rotate=0, Y-rotate=180, Z-rotate=0

2. Parent it to one of the character's eyes. Make sure that Parent in Place is NOT checked.

This makes a camera that sees exactly what that eye would see.

• Will that work if your Character is not in the middle of the Scene??  

• Will that work if your Character is not in the middle of the Scene??  

Yes, turning off Parent in Place snaps the origin of the child to the origin of the parent

• What I do is a two step process:

1. Create a new camera, move it to X=0, Y=0, Z=0, X-rotate=0, Y-rotate=180, Z-rotate=0

2. Parent it to one of the character's eyes. Make sure that Parent in Place is NOT checked.

Omg, that sounds so simple and yet I never thought to do that. Just tried it out on a simple scene and it stunningly works. Making the chars looking down at themselfs and at each other... Damn, all those months of rendered scenes. Now I think of all those characters and need to re-open those old scenes, wonder how all that would look like, a whole new world... Sorry, thousands of ideas crossing my mind, thanks a lot. :))

• KlaudMKlaudM Posts: 68

You should be able to parent the camera to the head. Make sure that Parent in Place is checked in the Scene pane option memu (if using drag and drop) or in the Change Parent dialogue.

What I do is a two step process:

It's very easy and works very good but I'd like to go closer to a realistic pov camera, I think there's something totally wrong with some setting, for example if I move my arms forward (90°) I'm able to see almost up to the shoulders, instead in DAZ I don't even see the hands (using the method above and AR 16:9).

I also tried to play with Focal Lenght and Frame Witdth but I get too much distortion.

Do you have any advice?