gtx 1070 ti or gtx 1080

Hello daz people ,I have been reading some threads here and you guys really know what you are talking about with computers.So my graphic card died AMD R9 270 2GB and I have ordered a Zotac mini 1070 ti but I just seen a Zotac mini 1080 for £40 more should I change for a 1080 any advice or experience would be helpful.I have a 460w PSU will I need a better one.

Also has anyone any experience of buying from Novatech I have not ordered from them before.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

It's genreally better to ask these kinds of question before you buy rather than after.

Number of CUDA cores and amount of VRAM are the main Video card  factors in Iray performance.

• Hi Fastbike1 I have ordered it of amazon but it wont be in stock until 18th so I do have time to change my mind ,with the cores there is not much difference between the 2 cards, teh 1070ti 8gb vram 1080 10gb vram would it make much difference for Iray. Most of the information on the web is for gaming so it is hard to understand for iray

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Hi Fastbike1 I have ordered it of amazon but it wont be in stock until 18th so I do have time to change my mind ,with the cores there is not much difference between the 2 cards, teh 1070ti 8gb vram 1080 10gb vram would it make much difference for Iray. Most of the information on the web is for gaming so it is hard to understand for iray

Huh?  Regular GTX 1080 has 8GB of RAM.  Maybe you confused that with the speed, 10 GBps?

Slightly more cores, 2560 vs. 2432.  Same core clock speed and little bit faster RAM throughput, so it should be a little bit faster with Iray.  Really if that little bit is worth the price difference is up to you.

Just off the top of my head PSU seems a little light, better to put your system into a PSU calculator and see:

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2017
    I havent seen benchmark Iray times for a 1070ti (not sure anyone here has one), but a 10 minute render with a 1070 is about a 7 minute render with a 1080ti. So I'm guessing a 10 minute render on a 1070ti is about a 9 minute render on a 1080. Is that worth 40 pounds? I think theyre both 8GB VRAM?
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • Thanks Scott you are right I confused the ram with the speed. Thanks for the PSU info I think I will do an upgrade.

• Thanks ebergerly that is interesting and very helpful for 1 -2 minutes difference it is probulary not worth £40 at the minute renders are about couple of hours ,but i usally just fix it in photoshop so i think anything is going to make a big difference for me I think i will put the £40 towards a new PSU .

• Also has anyone any experience of buying from Novatech I have not ordered from them before.

Hi,

I've used Novatech quite a few times, for both my own stuff as well as their generic laptops for a suite at work. They have always been very good, and I've not had any issues at all. 

HTH :-)

• Thanks dawnydawny Novatech are a fair bit cheaper than amazon but I was not sure about them ,nice to know they are good because they actually have these cards in stock now and I could get it saturday  i have been about 3 weeks without a computer and I am having withdrawals lol I am manageing to run with no graphics card for the minute ,better than nothing.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2017

Oof, for about fiddy dollars if you can get it now that would get me to buy now since you're dead in the water.  Not like it is spent on nothing, it is a little faster.

Now to really twist ya up, the 1080 Ti rocks!  laugh

Seriously though, if you want to do the bigger made scenes here at the store and a number of Genesis 3 or 8 figures, then 8GB of VRAM starts falling short (maybe 3 or more?).  Otherwise you are probably OK... others that stay within 8 GB can probably chime in what they can do with that.

Post edited by Gator on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...yeah for my often "epic"sized scenes (9, 10 , a dozen figures with a big Stonemason set and volumetric effects rendered at a high resolution) a 1070Ti or 1080 would be insufficient.  Some may even challenge a 1080Ti or Titan Xp.

May need to do a GoFundMe for at least a Quadro P5000.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,426

and I do iray with cpu only ... it takes awhile for sure ... cant afford one of those newfangled cuda things. but if i quit buying so much content here i could buy a couple 180 boards for sure

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2017

...to get optimum performance needed from the new GPUs, I would need a newer more up to date system an I have and that is an even bigger expense than I can afford (I'm still running DDR3 with PCIe 2.0 slots and a first generation i7).  This system was a beast for 3DL, but Iray makes it more like a newborn kitten.  Simply slapping in a 1070 or 1080 Ti isn't the answer.

I've been moving back to 3DL partly because it suits my illustration work better, but also because it renders much quicker (as long as I use AoA's lights and not UE).  Photoreal is all nice and that, but it is not the "be all and end all".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • well the 1080 sold out just as I decided to get it so I got the gtx 1070 ti Zotac mini.  My new card should be here by wednesday I  just hope I dont need any more updates to my PC to make it work.The 1080 ti does look amazing but I have gone overboard budget wise with the one I ordered. Thanks for the help everyone.

• well the 1080 sold out just as I decided to get it so I got the gtx 1070 ti Zotac mini.  My new card should be here by wednesday I  just hope I dont need any more updates to my PC to make it work.The 1080 ti does look amazing but I have gone overboard budget wise with the one I ordered. Thanks for the help everyone.

How's the 1070? I'm looking to upgrade from my 970 but I'm seriously lacking funds!