How to put caps on cylinders?

How to put caps on cylinders?

Thanks

Mic

Comments

• Ok I found out that they have to be put on, on creation.

Mic

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2017

This came up before, and because I still have the pics I thought I'd re-post the image, you never know someone might find it useful :)

There are a few ways you can close a hole, the screen grab I had stored shows two.

close hole.jpg
    1919 x 1008 - 534K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • edited December 2017

Thanks for the reply John

In a dedicated modeler should it not just be select the edges and have a fill command?

Its how itst done in Carrara

Mic

Post edited by michael-kristensen_e59faa8f72 on
  • Yes, but when you as smoothing you will come into problems, also you have problems with Ngons. To be on the safe side I always aim for a face made up of 4 points.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

After you set the height for the cylinder, click the "A" .  The white highlighted ends will be capped. The "A" or close function is available in some other operations as well.

hex close.jpg
    906 x 634 - 106K
  • cdordoni said:

After you set the height for the cylinder, click the "A" .  The white highlighted ends will be capped. The "A" or close function is available in some other operations as well.

Thanks cdordoni

Yes... but only at creation

Mic

• You still have the Close option in the Vertex Modeling tab. But as I stated earlier, you may have trouble with Ngons.

• odd I created a cylinder in Hexagon beta to see for myself, I clicked the edge and it filled with an ngon immeadiately so I went to tools tab, vertex modelling and clicked quad tesselation and all was done yes

one annoying thing missing in Hexagon is a lathe tool, just thought I'd bring that up, had to make wine glass from a cylinder instead.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    th3Digit said:

odd I created a cylinder in Hexagon beta to see for myself, I clicked the edge and it filled with an ngon immeadiately so I went to tools tab, vertex modelling and clicked quad tesselation and all was done yes

one annoying thing missing in Hexagon is a lathe tool, just thought I'd bring that up, had to make wine glass from a cylinder instead.

Extrude Line under Surface modeling is made to do that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 2017
    DzFire said:
    th3Digit said:

odd I created a cylinder in Hexagon beta to see for myself, I clicked the edge and it filled with an ngon immeadiately so I went to tools tab, vertex modelling and clicked quad tesselation and all was done yes

yes that extrudes it but lathe, a Carrara fuction I use a lot takes an edge and models a solid object around it in the polyline shape,

I see on Youtube 3D studio MAX also has this modifier

its great for making vessels of all shapes like weird bottles, bowls and chess pieces

I know I was frustrated not finding a similar tool in Blender which I am painfully trying to learn too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2017

I have not tried Carrara but I think DzFire is recommending the correct tool for the job. All it is doing is taking a profile and running a curve along it to make the object.

Here's a quick example, I don't normally do videos and I have not finished adding my short cuts hence me staring at the screen looking for the tools :) 

Sorry no audio or subtitles, I can add the latter if you wish.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017
    th3Digit said:
    DzFire said:
    th3Digit said:

yes that extrudes it but lathe, a Carrara fuction I use a lot takes an edge and models a solid object around it in the polyline shape,

I see on Youtube 3D studio MAX also has this modifier

its great for making vessels of all shapes like weird bottles, bowls and chess pieces

I know I was frustrated not finding a similar tool in Blender which I am painfully trying to learn too.

Hexagon has that as well. One of its earliest features.

And used in Amapi long before Hexagon.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • it is a bit different, more steps but also it appears more options 

I must try it