Carrara is a Zombie?

13»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,207

I was trying to find the still-shot that I took of the reason for the Vanguard ship crashing - the one in the gif above. It was attacked by a pair of Predatron's Moorland Dragons! Can't seem to find the darned image though :(

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Ivy wrote:

I really need to get the aniblock importer when it goes on sale

You should be able to Save your animations as a DS scene (bake to ds timeline) then open in Carrara to get the animation,. then select the figure and conver the animation to an NLA clip,. save to your browser (my clips).

The Aniblock importer is still handy, and relevant (for straight import),. but any animations brought into carrara, or created in carrara can also be saved as NLA clips (carrara's equivalent of aniblocks)

Carrara doesn't have the ability to import a series of individual aniblock clips, one after the other,. to create a more complex animation. (as you would do in DS)

it imports the aniblock at frame 0 ,. so if there's already animation there it will be overwritten.

NLA allows you to work with movable blocks (clips of animation) ....which is more like the DS aniblock workflow,.

Ditto on Dartanbeck's comments on using the "Beta" ... that's old, and shouldn't really be available,. since the final C8.5 version was officially released,. that should be in your account.

Enter your PRO serial number (you may need to "run as administrator" to get that to register).

as a "new" user, you should also download and insrall the additional "carrara native content" which gives you a bunch of example shaders, scenes, models, etc..

:)

3DAGE said:

Ivy wrote:

it imports the aniblock at frame 0 ,. so if there's already animation there it will be overwritten.

Just to clarify on this, if we have the scrubber in the timeline set somewhere other than 0:00 when we File > Import > aniBlock, the aniBlock data will begin where the scrubber is, not at frame 0:00. I do this all the time. I set my scrubber at, say, one second and import the aniBlock. I do this so that, if I need any of the joints to go abck to the pose I have set at frame 0:00, all I need to do is delete the keyframes for that joint from the aniBlock data. Works like a charm.

The one that doesn't pay attention to where we are on the scrubber is "Load Data from Clip" using Carrara's NLA clips. These will always apply the data where it was on the scrubber when stored to NLA Clip. Here's my example of this:

I'll import an aniBlock at frame 30 (1 second) and delete the frames I don't want, animate those joints accordingly, etc., then set the scene timeline range to only wrap around the needed data, starting at frame 30 (omitting the first 29 frames from the clip)

This NLA Clip works beautifully and as expected. Drag the clip into the timeline and move it to the proper position in time, loop it or stretch or constrict it, etc., works great.

If, however, I use "Load Data from Clip" the data will always load starting at frame 30, where it was recorded at. This isn't an issue for me because I am well aware of it - and I always do these operations anywhere except at frame 0:00. So after loading data from clip, I may easily select them all and move them around where I want them in time.

But let's say that I want the arms motions from one aniBlock and combine them with another complete block, but also want to leave the head blank so I can animate that by hand. Perhaps I want to add a Point-To modifier... whatever. Here's how easily I can do this using the aniBlock importer:

1. Set the timeline scrubber to frame 30
    2. Import the main aniBlock I want for the whole figure
    3. Select all keyframes for the head and arm joints and delete them
    4. Advance the time to a good margin past the end of the keyframes remaining
    5. Import the aniBlock containing the arms data I need
    6. Within the time period of the new aniBlock data, select all keyframes except for the arms and delete
    7. Select all of the new arms keyframes and slide them into place to where I need them to work with the other motion data

Now if I wish (I often do) I can save this motion data to a new NLA Clip - perhaps making some subtle tweaks first or whatever.

More often, I'll actually create a separate NLA Clip after preparing the main aniBlock data - deleting the keyframes for the head and arms. Then use the empty timeline to import the arms data and save that as a separate NLA Clip. This way I have the flexibility to use the armless, headless motion clip for other things than this particular arms/head use - same applies for the arms clip.

So with that in mind, I save these partial clips to my Clips browser, making special folders to sort them easily:

Like for V4 based figures:

My Clips > V4

• Body No Arms
    • Body No Arms Head (means no arms and no head data)
    • Arms
    • V4 > Head
    • Full
    • Expressions

So those individual folders will reside in my My Clips > V4 folder. I do the same for M4 and Genesis

3DAGE said:

Ivy wrote:

as a "new" user, you should also download and insrall the additional "carrara native content" which gives you a bunch of example shaders, scenes, models, etc..

:)

Right. There will be both Carrara 8.5 Native Content as well as Carrara 8 Native Content. You want both!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 2017

Thanks guys I'll just redownload load everything but all the genesis content that was included that i already have installed. So which is better  8.5 or 8?

Capture.JPG
    1916 x 982 - 109K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • if you get the Carrara aniblock importer you can indeed string several aniblocks moving scrubber to import the next one but you must check the zero translation option if you do so.

It is often on sale and if you have the Poser one and also save walk designer pz2 you can always load those too as an option as well as any baked and saved DAZ studio ones, what might be handy is Fenric’s pz2/bvh exporter as I find creating animation in Carrara easier with its full keyframe editor to export to DAZ studio.

edited December 2017
    Ivy said:

Thanks guys I'll just redownload load everything but all the genesis content that was included that i already have installed. So which is better  8.5 or 8?

At the very least, these. Uninstall the beta and install this one (bottom of list) instead.

Install BOTH native content. No actual Genesis items involved, just the Carrara shaders for them (8.5 Native) and Carrara 8 Native Content contains all of the main Carrara example files, like skies, landscapes, shaders, modifiers, lighting scenes, all manner fo awesomeness!

Edit: Carrara Hair Caps, at the top of the shown list, is awesome for growing dynamic hair onto figures

Down a ways is the one for Genesis 1 and 2. (Installs to your Genesis > Hair libraries for Genesis 1 and 2)

I'd also install the elite shaders and HDRI as well - but that's me ;)

Necessities.jpg
    459 x 734 - 156K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    th3Digit said:

if you get the Carrara aniblock importer you can indeed string several aniblocks moving scrubber to import the next one but you must check the zero translation option if you do so.

Good point. And then once we save the motions to NLA Clips, we can joint them one after the next to match beginning to end positions.

To help avoid confusion, what she's talking about isn't the stuff I was saying for replacing arm movements and such, but to add, say, one walk to another walk. That just won't work right by simply loading one aniBlock after the next directly to the timeline because both will start the figure walking from the same place in 3d space. So to add one walk to another, we must first save them each individually as NLA clips first. 

Note: this all probably sounds headachy. It's not, once you do it once or twice. It's harder to write and to read than it is to simply do.

Watch how easy it is

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    khris205 said:
    0oseven said:

Checked out the cloth sim for Daz Studio - found it is called DForce coming with a new version  4.9 of studio

I think the version dForce comes with is the 4.10.      YES CORRECT !

I thought I was running latest  DS THEN discovered V10 was available but had not been put in my library for download ??? Any way installed V10 but didnt get far - Just cant relate to Studio's interface - like turning my head 90 degrees to read tabs.and a hundred other things I find awkward to use. From some posts above I gather Dforce is not 'that ' wonderful ?- at least for Carrara users.

Another reason for not trying Dforce is that I was waylaid  trying a new standalone animation package that would not run on my PC. Tried all sorts of things including reloading windows which means I've had to install Carrara , Daz etc etc again!!  The program is   AKEYTSU  but once again, such a busy interface with miniscule icons all over the place [ floating panels] .With patience, which i do not have, it may be a useful tool with stuff like onion skinning. I had little trouble getting V4 and Genesis in via FBX . Some of you may want to take a look.     https://www.nukeygara.com  .

I did feel a relief going back to Carrara's animation tools - well maybe that's because I know them pretty well now.wink and also decided , why bother with Dforce as I have VWD with plugin for Carrara yes