Creating Road Signs, Highways and Landscapes in Hexagon?

EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,062
edited November 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

I plan on downloading the free Hexagon software this evening, after learning it is free supposedly for a limited time.

I do have one question: Is it possible to create road signs, highways, and landscapes (with hills) in Hexagon?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on

Comments

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Yes

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    JonSea31 said:

I plan on downloading the free Hexagon software this evening, after learning it is free supposedly for a limited time.

FWIW, All recent references seem to indicate that it will be permanently free. I'm not sure how DAZ can sell Hexagon Add-Ons they way their traditional content supports DAZ Studio (textures?, maybe plugins someday ala substance?). If its bridge/integration keeps folks using DAZ Studio, that's a win for everyone here. Regardless, I'm quite glad they've decided to take this route. I like the tool, even if the UV tools are less refined than some of the dedicated UV mapping tools. All good in my book.

JonSea31 said:

I do have one question: Is it possible to create road signs, highways, and landscapes (with hills) in Hexagon?

It would be quite good for road-signs, and given that roads and terrains are simply meshes, it will certainly work for them as well. You might consider using Bryce to generate the starting terrains, as it has a clever terrain editor in it (and it's practically free too), and you can export those terrains as OBJ files, which can be imported and fine-tuned in Hex if you wish.

cheers,

--ms

• I've made just about everything in my products using Hexagon 2.5.

• JonSea31 said:

I use it for modeling everything.

• I have started to learn how to use Hexagon yesterday evening, creating road signs.  I apparently know how to design a cylindrical sign post, so that's out of the way.

I have created a cube in Hexagon, and resized by a certain axes, but I'd like to know, how do I add an image to the front face of the sign?

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017

Many ways to do it. One would be to use a "cube" mapping for the object's UV. Then save out a texture map image for the object that you can edit in a paint/photo editor and place the image in one of the squares.

Or paint the image on the object after UV mapping it.

Or extract that square/hexagon face from the object (creating two objects then). And UV mapping just that square for painting on.

And there are still other ways. There may be YouTube vids showing how to paint on object faces. 

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • mach25mach25 Posts: 256

bryce is great tool to prefer to make a base for your landscape,but the window you edit terrain has a small interface for make more detailed terrain so export/import greyscale map together with 2d paint program gets you more control of detail,bryce also can export bumpmaps that add some details for its terrains and also can export textures that are different based on what height pixels are in terrainmap