PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
edited December 1969 in New Users

It never seems to light anything.

Why is that?

Thanks

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The OpenGL viewport will only Support 8 lights at a time. All lights will render when a Full 3Delight render is done.

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
    edited December 1969

Hello,

that means that when I am building a scene I will only see the first 8 lights I put in the scene?

Is there a way to increase this number?

edited December 1969

Nope, but you can look through a light and SEE what it is pointing at. It's in the Same Drop down as the Perspective view and Cameras.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

Strictly, the first seven lights as one is reserved for the default "headlamp". Only a better video card would offer more preview lights, and even the best doesn't go above 16 as far as I know.

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys.

Do you know which cards offer more lights, or where I can get such info?

edited December 1969

You got me. I didn't even know 8 was not the top possible.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

If you go to Help>Troubleshooting>About Your Video Card it will tell you how many lights are supported. Mine, a GeForce GT 640, only supports 8 (including the headlamp, I guess). Don't know which ones will go higher, though.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2013

Yippee, mine is 16. But what the heck is a pixel buffer size? Mine says not enabled. Should I be an enabler?
    EDIT- this my Samsung laptop. It's an older one, too, so I was suprised. Not OLD, about when Windows 7 came out a few years ago. Go Samsung! Now I'm curious as to what's on my Dell.

Current OpenGL Version:
    2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Features:

MultiTexturing
    Supported

Shadow Map
    Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
    Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
    Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
    4096 x 4096

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

And is 8 high or low for number of texture units? (and what does THAT mean?)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

Don't know what it means... But mine is 4, so I'd say yours is probably on the high side. Interesting...integrated graphics cards are usually not recommended, but I guess they have some advantages too...or at least the variety you have. :) (The reason they aren't recommended is that they share the computer's memory, whereas dedicated graphics cards have their own memory)
    edited December 1969

Aside from OpenGL version and the maximum image size your card has better numbers than mine - though how much that means is open to question.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Yippee, mine is 16. But what the heck is a pixel buffer size? Mine says not enabled. Should I be an enabler?
    EDIT- this my Samsung laptop. It's an older one, too, so I was suprised. Not OLD, about when Windows 7 came out a few years ago. Go Samsung! Now I'm curious as to what's on my Dell.

Current OpenGL Version:
    2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Features:

MultiTexturing
    Supported

Shadow Map
    Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
    Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
    Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
    4096 x 4096

nya na na nya na!!!!
    you get more lights, my textures are bigger!!!
    mine.jpg
    456 x 553 - 44K
    edited December 1969

Oh, BE that way. :) But I see you're "deprived" of that same pixel buffer size thingie, which I still have no idea what that is. And of course, the texture stuff either, lol!

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    It's Gaming thing, 8 Full textures up to the File size can be loaded at one time for Fast Rendering in 3D games. Should translate to more in your Viewport in DS as well.
  • SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

From further down the screen:

Number of Texture Units:
    The maximum number of texture units that can be active on the card. This is the maximum number of images that can be used when drawing a single material. For example, a texture map would require a unit, a transparency map would require a unit, a shadow map would require a unit, and a bump map would require a unit - totalling 4 texture units - if your card supports less than this number, than some of these maps will not be applied in the interactive view, or hardware renders.

That sounds like pretty much all the maps we use but my question is does that mean just the various maps for 1 mesh or does having enough for 4 maps cover the various maps for each of your objects? In other words you have all 4 maps on your Genesis character and all 4 maps on his shirt. Is that 8 maps or 4? If it's 8 then what about the pants?

edited December 1969

It's per material, so it would allow four maps for the face, four maps for the lips, for maps for the back of the head, etc.

edited December 1969

Yep, as Richard says its Total Maps per material zone for each item in the scene. But keep this in mind as well, as Graphic Ram is used to hold the textures cards will auto reduce the display quality of the textures and size of the files depending on the Depth of the view port. Far items do not need the detail that Closer items do in a OpenGL viewport. That is why items can look flat until you Render and send the Full texture and Settings to the DS Render Engine 3DeLight.