Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! ..voting closed, WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Entry:  #13
    Title:  Joyce Pulls Off An Unexpected Encore
    Artist:  UnifiedBrain
    PR/ NPR/Halloween:  Halloween
    - classic smiley

Entry:  #15
    Title: Art Frahm Shops for Celery in Glasgow
    Artist:  Diomede (Ted Murphy)
    - tee hee giggle 

Entry:  #18
    Title: Queen of Moonlight
    Artist: Jonstark
    - muskle dudes (undead dudes?)

Entry: # 30
    Title: Waiting
    Artist: Jonstark
    -  her manga look heart

• My vote:

Entries

#18.

Ringo

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Really, really hard to choose, I've gone back and forth and since today is the last possible chance to vote, here's my choices:

Entry:  #1
    Title: Pooly Wrapped Mummy
    Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)
    PR/ NPR/Halloween: Halloween

Surely this was meant to be titled 'Poorly' and not 'Pooly'?  Am I right?  It's driving me crazy :)  Even though I'm usually not a fan of the Girl, I just love this piece, it's so dang cute.  For the casual viewer, look closer at the hieroglyphs on the wall - they're all pinups!  :)  Lighting is interesting and makes the whole scene even more intriguing, the pose is great, I just fell in love with this one.

Entry:  #7
    Title: Carrara Chalenge #36
    Artist: Stezza
    PR/ NPR/Halloween: NPR

Dang it Stezza, no proper title for this one?  It's too fantastic to go untitled, lol.  

Entry:  # 9
    Title: advertising
    Artist: magaremoto
    PR/ NPR/Halloween: PR

I could click to zoom in and out on this one all day, this is spectacular realism in skin texturing and lighting.  File this one under 'I can't believe it's not Octane!', because yes this is the Carrara native render engine in the hands of a master.  :)

Entry:  # 20
    Title: Oh ...... how many more shots?
    Artist: Dustrider

Superb, sexy, classy and fun all in one render. 

--------------

I also wanted to call out a few others that I also really loved:

Entry:  # 10
    Title: Date with a Wolf
    Artist:  Diomede (Ted Murphy)
    PR/ NPR/Halloween:  PR

Excellent skin shaders and hair, saucy expression that's perfectly matched to the dialogue, which is also classic noir, a superb render.  I also think the poem/ryhme of the dialogue is pretty great (if anyone missed or glossed over it, it's worth giving a second look), and don't miss out on the little details like the chocolates and the flowers on the little table.  There's a card there too, but I can't quite make out what it says, the print is too small for my eyes.

Entry:  #8
    Title: Captain Cupcake
    Artist: PhilW

That plane is a real beauty.  The pinup girl painted on the plane is a real beauty too.  And the girl in the pilot seat looking out the window as a real beauty as well!  (For those who didn't notice, zoom in and check out the pilot)

I think the concept for this is very clever, I never would have thought of it myself.  Also I wanted to point out that wgdjohn  came up with a similar concept in a sci-fi theme:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2987921/#Comment_2987921 ; Although apparently wgdjohn never did submit his final entry to the challenge, I still was impressed and wanted to point it out too.

Entry:  #3
    Title: 007: A Woman to Die For
    Artist: Namtar 

Really good work on that custom morph, the face/body really does look like Liv Tyler.  Great expression and pose too.  A beautiful render, iconic James Bond style, and it was neat to see in the wip how to make that 'shutter' effect so famous from all the Bond movie intros.

Entry:  #13
    Title:  Joyce Pulls Off An Unexpected Encore
    Artist:  UnifiedBrain

Hilarious  :)  Made me chuckle.

Entry:  #25
    Title: Friday
    Artist: Philemo

This one brings a lot of nostalgia for my mispent youth.  I used to skip school and walk to the local library so I could spend all day reading pulp fantasy and sci-fi, which is what this one evokes for me.  :)

Entry:  # 26
    Title: Bad Vicky
    Artist: Bunyip02
    PR/ NPR/Halloween: Halloween

I was originally planning on using the exact same throne prop (Mort Augur) but switched to using the Skeleton Throne set instead because I didn't want to be a copycat.  :)  I'm a big fan of this style, and there are lots of nice details to appreciate, the color pallette is right on and the lava looks terrific.  Vicky is very good at being oh so bad.  :)

Entry: # 27
    Title: «White Swan pinup»
    Artist: Vyusur

Elegant, sensual, natural.  The feather is such a nice touch.  Looks like a real photo shoot, probably because it was actually inspired by a real photo shoot, as Vyusur mentioned in her wip.  Love the languid and sensuous pose, and the lighting and texturing is spot on.

Entry:  #32
    Title: Water Sport Monthly - Issue November 2017
    Artist: Dartanbeck

It's the little things in this one that make it really awesome.  Those ripples!  In the water, right where her legs hit the water surface, I can't believe how realistic that makes the whole scene look, and such a simple and inventive solution you mentioned in the wip for this (I definitely will be ripping off that idea in future renders, seeing how well this works)  :)

• Jonstark said:

Surely this was meant to be titled 'Poorly' and not 'Pooly'?  Am I right?  It's driving me crazy :) 

LOL - yes. I fixed have it now, no need to go crazy. laugh 

• I thought that the spelling was part of its charm.smiley

Thanks everyone, for the last flurry of votes.  Whatever happens in the next two hours, we now have enough.

One note - Ringo has asked me to award the PA prizes.  I'm going to do it mechanically, based on results rather than my personal taste.  The awards will go to1) the artist with the most overall votes, and to 2) the artist who has the most votes on a single render.

Results will be announced tomorrow!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027

With our global community spanning so many time zones, how will I know if it is tomorrow?  laugh

Great job, UB. 

Congratulations everyone. Spectacular slate of entries.  I wish more folks could be recognized. 

• Diomede said:

I wish more folks could be recognized. 

I would recognize you anywhere - the cyclopstrich gives you away! cheeky

I am, obviously, a sentient stack of wooden children's blocks, so I should be pretty easy to recognize if you see me out somewhere as well.

• Thanks Diomede.

Voting is now CLOSED.

Results will be announced shortly.

edited November 2017

I really need to release the Studio-rigged version of the cyclopstritch as a freebie.

Off the immediate topic, but Mark, you once posted a sample file structure for Carrara/Studio projects, with separate files for WIPs, UVMap templates, etc.  I succeded once with a tree and once with a poseable book, but I can't reproduce it.  Now, when I try to create a DUF file in Studio, and then load back in Carrara, I am getting lost files and other problems.  It might be that I am creating too many content subfolders instead of letting Studio create them.  Or maybe I am not adding the files folders to the Studio content database correctly.

Can you point me to that post with the help guide? 

MDO2010 said:
    Diomede said:

I would recognize you anywhere - the cyclopstrich gives you away! cheeky

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2017
    Diomede said:

Off the immediate topic, but Mark, you once posted a sample file structure for Carrara/Studio projects, with separate files for WIPs, UVMap templates, etc.  I succeded once with a tree and once with a poseable book, but I can't reproduce it.  Now, when I try to create a DUF file in Studio, and then load back in Carrara, I am getting lost files and other problems.  It might be that I am creating too many content subfolders instead of letting Studio create them.  Or maybe I am not adding the files folders to the Studio content database correctly.

I remember that, but I'm actually not sure where it is. I browsed through my old posts and found some related things - was it one of these maybe?

I posted a couple dropbox links in the second one but I'm not at home right now so I can't check if they still work - let me know if not and I'll try to find the things I had at them and put them back up.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Thanks.  I bet the first post has what I need.  And I will be tracking down the file in the second link.  I've downloaded it before and just need to find where I stored it.

MDO2010 said:
    Diomede said:

I remember that, but I'm actually not sure where it is. I browsed through my old posts and found some related things - was it one of these maybe?

I posted a couple dropbox links in the second one but I'm not at home right now so I can't check if they still work - let me know if not and I'll try to find the things I had at them and put them back up.

• And now we reach the conclusion of the very first pinup Challenge for Carrara.  Let's do it again sometime down the road, OK?

Before announcing the winners, please indulge me a few comments.

You artists quickly got into the pinup spirit and really stepped up your game.  Kudos to you! 

Some here have suggested that in terms of entries and quality, this Challenge may have been the best ever.  Yes, the creativity and standards here have been very high, and I am grateful to have been part of this amazing effort.  However, lest we forget, challenge #27 (Give Us a Sign) is still the standard by which all other Challenges shall be judged:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110486/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-entry-thread-winners-announced/p1

I'd like to thank all the "old hands" who rarely enter a Challenge, that popped in here and really enhanced the proceedings with their participation.  You know who you are!

As always, thanks to DAZ for sponsoring the Challenge once again.  Thirty-six straight!

Also a big "thank you" to Ringo Monfort for being the PA sponsor.  Besides his fantastic products, I've learned a lot from him, and hope to learn more in the future.

And now for the featured presentation.

"Where's the paper? ...  Waddaya mean you lost it?"

Just kidding.  Need a drum roll, Dart.

The results were clear and unambiguous (no ties!).

The awards in Carrara Challenge # 36 go to:

Best Participation:  Jonstark (#30 and #18), $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best Photorealistic Pinup:  Dartanbeck (#32), $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best NonPhotorealistic Pinup:  Stezza (#7), $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best Halloween pinup:  MDO2010 (#1), $45.00 in DAZ prizes

And in addition, the Carrara PA award prizes go to:

Best Artist (combined):  Jonstark, an item from RingoMonfort's store.

Best Picture (overall):  MDO2010 (#1), an item from RingoMonfort's store.

Congratulations to all!!  I will send a PM to all the winners with instructions, hopefully today.

What follows is the order of ascension to the throne for hosting Carrara Challenge #37.  If the heir apparent  (Jonstark ) declines for whatever reason, the next in line is asked, and so on.

Best Participation - Jonstark

Best PR pinup - Dartanbeck

Best NPR pinup - Stezza

Best Halloween pinup - MDO2010

Jonstark, the universe trembles in anticipation of your next move!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2017

Jonstark, the universe trembles in anticipation of your next move!

Indeed!!!   Well done to all winners and entrants... it was a smorgasboard, an amazing buffet of art.   yes 

Great for choosing if it's all you can eat, not so good when you can only have 4!  cheeky

Wonderful hosting, UB... surely contributes to the many entries.  heart

laugh Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Quick comments -

Jon's win was largely powered by a universal response to his NPR pinup.  Very cool to see that.  I tells me that most of us have a soft spot in our hearts for NPR, and why HW's NPR thread is so active.

This was also Magaremoto's very first Challenge, and he was barely edged out by Dart for the PR prize.  Well done, Magaremoto!

• Thank you, Silene!  Your encouragement for the past year has been apprecated more than you know.

edited November 2017

Congratulations, Jonstark, Dartanbeck, Stezza, and MDO2010.  Well done.  Can't wait to see what Jonstark comes up with, or whomever accepts coordinatorship.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited November 2017

congratulations to all the challengers, winners and not, and thanks to UB, for having exhibit love for carrara, talent in many fields of 3d graphics and above all to be (edit to add: part of) a great community,

Now, Jon I wouldn't be in your shoes laugh

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Wowza and Yowza, what a great bunch of images - thanks so much again UB and again Ringo and again Daz,.

UB, I think you have entered the CARRARA HALL OF FAME -  as supersuperlative host :)

and of course congrats to the winners!!!!!!!!!!!! we are all winners because we get to enjoy your work (and learn :) )

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

to be selected amongst such amazing talent is an honour... thankyou

thanks UB for your hosting, Daz and Ringo for sponsoring..

and congrats to all the challenge participants and prize winners... done good

yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited November 2017

Congrats to the winners and kudos to UB for superb hosting!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 237

Congratulations to all the winners, i love this challenge :D 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Congratulations to the winners! UnifiedBrain, I always enjoy your hosting.

Congratulations to all the other winners and in fact congratulations to everyone who participated, this challenge was really great and filled with stellar entries (I'm still second-guessing my votes, that's how freakin' hard it was to decide, because the quality was just sky-high).  And thank you very much for the votes, I'm honored and humbled (and maybe a little alarmed) that somehow a doofus like me can end up in the position of picking the next theme.

Well shoot, didn't expect this. That dang NPR entry was supposed to be a quick throwaway lol, now it's landed me in a pickle.  I have no idea what's involved in hosting or even what to do.  I guess, pick a theme and then promote the wip thread consistantly?  Who do you talk to in Daz to see if they'll continue supporting prizes?  What sort of behind-the-scenes stuff goes on?  What have I let myself in for?  :) 

UnifiedBrain, I wanted to especially thank you for your hosting, you really made this challenge a treat and did a tremendous job thoughout.   I had a total blast  :)  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

don't panic @Jonstark ..... yet

UB will I'm sure fill you in with the procedures of being a 'Supweme Weader' umm... hoster for the challenge yes

just check your PMs

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Well done everyone; it's been a really entertaining and enlightening contest! yes

• Jon, as Stezza said, I've sent all the winners a PM.  But until you and Dart check your PM's we are pretty much stuck. smiley

And fear not.  I've prepared extensive instructions, specifically aimed at new hosts.

• Magaremoto, HW, Stezza, PhilW, Namtar3d, Vyusur - thank you all for the very nice words!  Hosting is a bit of work, but the rewards far outweigh the hassles, at least for me.

Every person here should have the experience of hosting a Challenge, at least once.  It's fun, and a way of giving back to the community.

I continue to believe that the Challenge keeps the community vital, and by extension it helps to keep Carrara vital.

I never tire of giving Headwax credit for starting the Challenges.  Just a brilliant idea.

He was also the prototype host.  Just go back and look at the past Challenges, and you will see what I mean.

Head Wax is brilliant.  Have to admit that one of my favorte challenges was being forced to dive into the free models that come in Carrara's native content browser and update one.

And so we have our second challenge:

QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS

PRIMARY AIM: to produce a Quirky , Humorous and/or Action Packed Render in Carrara.

In this Challenge You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) '

2) ONE item of non "humanoid" CONTENT can appear in your render.

3) ANYTHING you made yourself, in any quantity. You can do ANYTHING to whatever you make yourself.

CONTENT:

1) The CONTENT element is optional.

2) It CANNOT be any figure meant to represent a human being, or human like creature.

You can, however, use any figure's skeleton to rig something you find in the Carrara Objects folder.

3) Content that has Multi Element Objects like an Aircraft Carrier with ten different Kinds of Lifeboats, an entire Medieval Town., a Blacksmith's with an entire array of furniture and tools etc should be avoided.

I'll leave it up to the individual artist to make a distinction.

4) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene - (optical reflections aside)

5) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder.

6) Anything you made yourself is NOT content.

THE CARRARA OBJECTS

If you look in the HELP>OBJECT CATALOGUE drop down menu in the top bar of your Carrara, will find a link to a PDF that outlines all the Objects that come with Carrara. In your browser you will find them under Objects (Aircraft to Writer)

They are mostly spline objects and perhaps some Primitives. None of them seem to have UV co-ords. They come with colours but no textures.

• Diomede said:

Head Wax is brilliant.  Have to admit that one of my favorte challenges was being forced to dive into the free models that come in Carrara's native content browser and update one.

I really liked that one too.

I know we really stripped down the requirements on these to encourage more people to enter, and I think that after several months that we can definitely say it is working, so I'd hate to go back the other direction, but I do find that having to work with some particular piece of Carrara's functions for a challenge really encourages creativity and exploration of features I might not otherwise use. 

I only just figured out where to check PMs, I was completely looking in the wrong place.  I've responded now at long last, sorry for the delay.  I'm also kicking myself because I missed a lot of PMs for the last couple of years, much to my chagrin.