Carrara User switching to DAZ Studio???

Seasons Greetings Everyone!

I have been a Carrara user since 2013, and I love the interface and the power provided by Carrara Pro.  The renderer has always been better and much faster than the 3Delight renderer in DAZ Studio, and I like the workflow in Carrara much better.  However, when DAZ released Genesis 3, they seemed to forget about Carrara.  There were a couple of posts more than a year ago that seemed to indicate that DAZ was working on adding support for Genesis 3 to Carrara, but nothing...  So, I have resigned myself to start to use DAZ Studio more.  I have spent (too much) time using tools like Generation X and Blender to get Genesis 3 characters into Carrara to some success, but it takes a lot of work.  I miss the days where I could pose, and setup a character in Studio, and then import into Carrara and use the powerful shaders and rendering engine.  Exporting as Object, just doesn't work the same.  Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to use shaders, cameras, and other renderign intracies in Studio?  Thanks!

Rich S.

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921

Iray is a boon because it is much faster (If you have an Nvidia GPU) and much more realistic than Carrara's renderer as it uses physically-based light, and here is some excellent NON VIDEO tutorialsfrom Daz studio's Iray Deviant art page! Hope this helps, and welcome! 

• Actually Carrara has a great renderer that give fantastic results, yes, it's CPU based but on the other hand, if you have a scene that does not fit in GPU memory the Carrara renderer will run circles around iray (and just to be very very picky, almost all renderers including 3DL, Carrara, iray and yes even OpenGL use "physically based lights" smiley ) , and Carrara also works with Luxrender (if you want an "unbiased" renderer, and no! there is no such thing as an unbiased renderer), working with shaders in DS is like jumping in a pile of mud if you are used to Carrara shaders, on the other hand DS can actually save stuff without taking 5 minutes to save something to a .car file.

But yes, if you need G3 Carrara will be of little use.

On the other hand, if you use rigging tools, more advanced shaders, create your own geometry, use bullet or other features in Carrara that DS is missing, DS will not be of much use for you.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166

Thanks mikael-aronsson and takezo_3001,

All the new stuff is coming out for Genesis 3, and I have a sneaky suspision that Genesis 4 is right around the corner.  DAZ seems to be leaving Carrara in the dust.  I don't plan on completley abandonign it, but I am going to try put the majorrity of my efforts into DAZ Studio for the mean time.  I have purchased tons of stuff for Genesis 3, and have spent way too much time converting Genesis 3 assets into Geness 2, with mixed results.  I am still hopeful that DAZ does something with Carrara, but I want to use all the new cool stuff!  Plus, my primary system now has an nVIdia GTX 1070 with 8 GBs of VRAM, and I am kind of excited to see how that does with iRay. But the workflow is sufficiantly different between Studio and Carrara, that I am expecting a huge learning curve here...  

My biggest "gripes" with Studio are the lack of a shaders room, I am sure there is something similar, perhaps surfaces, but I haven't found it.  Plus I have to figure out how to get more screen real-estate.  The default pseudo-HighDPI setting don't leave much room for the viewport.

Thanks!

Rich S.

• Yea around the corner in 4 years, Daz is very slow in releasing anything 

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166

Just a quick update....  I completed a scene in Carrara, and it took around 20 minutes to render (character, bikini, backdrop and a few lights).  I did a test scene in Studio 4.9 (beta) with the same character, bikini, but no backdrop and the default light) and the iRay renderere took about 40 minutes to complete.  I just did the same scene on my nVidia GTX 1070 rig, and it took less than 3 minutes!  That was the fastest render time I have scene on my own systems.  The render quality of iRay default settings looks excelelnt as well.  This effort looks promising.  Thanks everyone for the advice.

Morigan Iray PC Test Bikini 2.png
    2100 x 1680 - 2M
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited December 2016

Actually Carrara has a great renderer that give fantastic results, yes, it's CPU based but on the other hand, if you have a scene that does not fit in GPU memory the Carrara renderer will run circles around iray (and just to be very very picky, almost all renderers including 3DL, Carrara, iray and yes even OpenGL use "physically based lights" smiley ) , and Carrara also works with Luxrender (if you want an "unbiased" renderer, and no! there is no such thing as an unbiased renderer), working with shaders in DS is like jumping in a pile of mud if you are used to Carrara shaders, on the other hand DS can actually save stuff without taking 5 minutes to save something to a .car file.

But yes, if you need G3 Carrara will be of little use.

On the other hand, if you use rigging tools, more advanced shaders, create your own geometry, use bullet or other features in Carrara that DS is missing, DS will not be of much use for you.

No, the renderer is ancient (The reason it's quicker because it's doing less calculations as the shaders haven't been upgraded in a long while) and yes, luxus/reality is great which is what you will need in order get a realistic result, the rigging/geometry/bullet time is obviously Carrara's strength, and it really doesn't matter how advanced the shaders are if the renderer is still stuck in the past!

It has shown it's age, (There is no such thing as antique software appreciating in value, it just becomes obsolete) Daz abandoned it, and it will never come back...I would like Daz to prove me wrong, so the ball is in their court.

As a side note, I like my Carrara, and the only gripes I have is the non-support of genesis 3 as the renderer is moot as I have Luxus for carrara already!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • LinkRS said:

snip

My biggest "gripes" with Studio are the lack of a shaders room, I am sure there is something similar, perhaps surfaces, but I haven't found it.

Thanks!

Rich S.

Windows Tabs Shadermixer

hope you like bricks and spaghetti nodes

• i used Daz Studio from the start and than later switched to Carrara, i often used both as i have set the figure in Daz Studio and loaded it into Carrara but the last times i've got strange errors like that Carrara crashes while loading a scene (no G3 or above related content) or that some morphs i did on Daz Studio wasn't applied into Carrara after loading a scene like the morphs are missing but when i load the figure directly to carrara and do the settings everything is just fine, so thats the reason why i use Daz Studio less and less for setting up a scene and do all the work now in Carrara.