Fantasy Art WIP by Shortcut

ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
edited August 2022 in Art Studio

Post edited by Shortcut on

Comments

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

I personally find when an image looks flat it's because no depth of field was used. Everything from a camera lenses to the human eye uses depth of field. If you hold your finger up at arms length from your face and focus on it, notice how everything behind it goes blurry....that's what depth of field in the camera settings does - blurs out things not on the focal plane and gives you DOF - depth of field 

Right now everything is in focus even the red flames in the background. If the focal point is the dragon then everything not on the same plane as the dragon should have varying degrees of blur.  

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited August 2022

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Welcome to the Art Thread! Daz most certainly has a huge learning curve lol.  The second image is definitely an improvement over the first one.  I'm terrible at lighting but you are right its super important. One place that is a huge fount information is the new user contest forum. As well as the previous threads in that forum.  I spent my first year here (last year) and it shortened my learing curve by half at least. Still a huge amount to learn but they gave me a great understanding of the basics. There are links in thread over there as well for tutorials, etc for that months theme. 

I will be watching with interest to see what you come up with and will chime in when I have something intelligent to say lol.

edited August 2022

edited August 2022
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

welcome back, you have a nice collection here and I like your experiments with postwork. that archer looks cozy warm in her coat. I'm a bit consued about where she looks though, its not to her aim and not at the camera (observer) which makes me wonder where does she look  :D

edited August 2022

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

he, yes all this bow grip posing tends to lead to endles discussiof of this and that expert who knows exactly how its done, to me that looks really well done.

The point at thingy with the eyes is something I stopped trusting. I had the weirdest results with that. sometimes it works good with creating a small primitive ( sphere) and make the eyes point at that and the position it a bit behind the camera but mostly I do it by hand spot render to see if they really give me the feel to look at me and if needed repeat

edited August 2022

Really like that archer, even if there are minor technicalities with the bow pose lol.  Glad to see you back!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Your poor Elf like lady is rather confused I think with her arrow being on the wrong side and where her eyes should be looking but all and all it is great render indeed!!

edited August 2022

Wow she looks amazing Shortcut!

edited August 2022

Practice makes perfect they say Shortcut!!

I think your practice is paying off!!

Amazing render yet again laugh

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

The translucent wings on that last one are absolutely stunning, Shortcut. I also love your archery elf, wrong side of the bow and all. I actually like her gaze a little off to the side as it is. I'm not always a fan of "look into the camera" pictures.

edited August 2022

Love the dragon and the fairy, its gorgeous!

• Shortcut said:

More experiments in creating scenes, playing with shaders, plus postwork. Not there yet, but I'm happy how this one turned out.

I see why you are happy!  You have come a long way in very little time.  Nice composition.  Well done.

edited August 2022

• These are looking amazing! The practice is really paying off. To make something more transparent go to your surface settings/editor click on the item/ or part of the item, you want more transparent in the editor menu. Look for "cutout" or type it into the search bar, it should be set to 1 for fully opaque and you can lower it from there to make the area more see through. 

edited August 2022

edited August 2022

edited August 2022

edited August 2022