Recommendations for Creating 3D Models?

PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello all,

I've been an avid DAZ user for awhile now, and have enjoyed the plethora of content that has been created by the talented 3D artists around here. But, it has come to the point where I would like to try making my own models.

I tried looking up information regarding this, and unfortunately there is perhaps too much information out there, and so many different programs.

So I was just curious if anyone has any personal recommendations on where to start? I downloaded Blender recently and, although complex at first, is generally highly rated - but how difficult would it be to make models in that and then use them in DAZ? Are there better programs to start with?

Thanks kindly for any advice!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

It's really up to you and what user interface works best. Most modelers to the same basic things. if you are doing clothing or things that need to be rigged, the modeling is only half the journey. I have seen that vendors here use Hexagon, Blender, Modo, Lightwave, 3DSMax, Zbrush, Mudbox, etc. i prefer 3DSMax, but it is costly, you should come to grip with Blender or Wings since they are free and then maybe Hexagon since it is less expensive or even Carrara.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

DAZ used Lightwave up through Gen 3. Modo for Gen 4 and up.

Apollo Max was done in Wings 3D.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited April 2013

It really also depends on your budget (Maya,3DS Max cost around $3000 US, while Wings3D and Blender are free)...
    What you intend to model most (humans/animals/creatures- Zbrush might do... vehicles-Modo might do... or simple hard props pretty much any modeler will do)...
    and what is your ultimate goal... Hobbyist, where you make good models and occasionally pick up some cash in the process or Professional where you do this strictly for money where the ultimate goal is to be employed by a studio or to run your own.
    If you are looking to start small and not really go much beyond hobbyist, then try out cheaper software to begin with, if you intend to be professional and eventually move beyond DAZ/Poser content creation, you should really focus on the high end software that you mostly will read about in the CGI mags like 3D Artist or 3D World... no studio will care how good you are at Wings if all they use is Autodesk products.
    Pick up some CGI magazines or go to their websites
    http://www.3dartistonline.com/
    http://www.3dworldmag.com/
    There are tutorials and tips for various software packages there that you can check out (you might have to register first)... if you narrow down your preferences, you can in many cases download PLEs (Personal Learning Editions) or 30 day trials of most of the major players and see if you like them.
    If you are not going major professional, Blender is a pretty good deal- Free with constant updates, a huge community, tons of tutorials and it can pretty much do anything the big boys can... BUT, as you probably noticed the GUI is pretty tough to pick up at first, although well worth learning.
    If you are not intent on working for ILM or running your own studio one day, its pretty much up to you what works best.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited April 2013

I use Blender to model, shade, morph, and displacement map. I hope to add Zbrush to my workflows this year, and possibly 3dCoat. I make clothes, props, and mesh utilities now (Blender is very adequate to that use) but would like to get into far-out characters, animals and creatures, and it's hard to beat these two programs for optimizing multirez workflows.

Hexagon is an easy one for many people to learn, including some PAs. I'm hearing that it may have some shortcomings in terms of the more complex deformations inherent in supermorphing clothing (I'm willing to be corrected on that by someone who uses it). The more expensive suites (Max, Maya, Modo) are of course highly regarded, and people do great work in them, but they are by no means mandatory to making a good living in this market.

Oh, and I texture in the GIMP. Many others user Photoshop. A good text editor such as Notepad++ is an indispensible time-saver working with objs and dufs on more advanced bone rigs (and that one is free).

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Hmm, a lot of what is being talked about is beyond my current level of understanding in terms of creating custom-content.

My goal is more of hobbyist at this point. I am quite adept at 2D art, and wanted to branch into 3D a bit, try to make my own type of models. The type of models I would ultimately like to make would be creatures and such (I am dying to make an Ettin - 2-headed giant). Blender seems like it might be able to do this, once I actually figure out how to do that :-)

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

Blender is a really good program, but has a very intimidating GUI. I suggest to see a few Hexagon tutorials on YouTube, just to see if you like GUI. And then look up the prize of Hexagon here in the store; you'll be surprised...

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I learned on truespace, then Hex and Carrara. Now I'm learning Modo.

All of them are great programs. I would recommend starting with something less expensive, like Hexagon or some of the free programs. You can always move up later when you need to.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

SuperGJ said:
    Hmm, a lot of what is being talked about is beyond my current level of understanding in terms of creating custom-content.

My goal is more of hobbyist at this point. I am quite adept at 2D art, and wanted to branch into 3D a bit, try to make my own type of models. The type of models I would ultimately like to make would be creatures and such (I am dying to make an Ettin - 2-headed giant). Blender seems like it might be able to do this, once I actually figure out how to do that :-)

I'll just make one recommendation. Start simple.

It's easy to get carried away trying grandiose projects, but if you genuinely want to improve, make sure you've got the basics nailed down first. Start with a cube and make shapes out of it. Extrude it, make a different shape and so on. Learn UV mapping with simple objects and then build up to more complex shapes. Then you can look at some of the more intermediate stuff as you progress.

For a freebie, you could do worse than Blender. It's quite a powerful tool and some of its features rival even 3DS Max in terms for modelers. It's well worth your time to learn it, and there are countless tutorials for information as well as their own forums if you have specific queries. Start with the basics and you'll be a modeling master in no time.

For my part I use 3D Studio Max, Blender and Hexagon, but I'm no expert modeler. I tend to manipulate existing objects for the most part. I'm currently working on remapping the Basic Suit's UV's. At the moment, they kind of suck.

• BubbleCloudBubbleCloud Posts: 58
    edited April 2013

I use blender and it's suprisely good, considering it's a free program.
    There's nothing Blender can't do, comparing to all other expensive modeling programs.
    Plus, there are many tutorials on the internet and a very helpful community,
    for any questions you might have. ;)

I only model objects at the moment, I 'm slowly learning and I bring them in daz
    using the .pp2 exporter (i don't now how to export them for DS 4.5 though - yet).

Post edited by BubbleCloud on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Hey HeraldofFire, I am working on remapping the basic suit also. Got the seams all defined but am wonder how people would like it laid out and which material zone connected or on the same texture map. Perhaps need to start a thread about this, assuming can find a way to make the new UVs available without breaking copyright.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

I use blender and it's suprisely good, considering it's a free program.
    There's nothing Blender can't do, comparing to all other expensive modeling programs.
    Plus, there are many tutorials on the internet and a very helpful community,
    for any questions you might have. ;)

I only model objects at the moment, I 'm slowly learning and I bring them in daz
    using the .pp2 exporter (i don't now how to export them for DS 4.5 though - yet).

And yet people will go far out of their way to avoid using it. :D

Sometimes I feel like when I say "I use Blender" I get the same response I get when I say "adding morphs is the best solution to your problem" - people put their hands over their ears and go LALALALA.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited December 1969

SuperGJ said:

I'm not sure how much help this may be, but a while ago at the old DAZ site, I put together a glossary of CGI/3D/Model Making/CAD terms... I thought it went POOF with the old site, but apparently it was reposted by DAZ_bfurner... I recently came across it again, so in case you are interested, here is the link to the page:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/
    It is an eclectic collection, but might be useful if you are unfamiliar with some terms.
    Good luck!
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2013

SuperGJ said:

May I recommend Silo to you?

http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/

I use Silo for modeling and personally its the best, no nonsense modeler out there.

Since you want to do creatures, i highly recommend you take a look at videos by Glen Southern. There are 4 video series of his on Youtube where he shows how to model creatures in Silo. These four videos below are the first in each

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoxZuNQPcQs (teaches basic tools too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH__2wmvm6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRPzGObmWFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-dHdu2GPA

You can buy Silo from here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/100400/ - for the least amount of money but you will need Steam installed and running in the background.

i highly recommend you grab the demo from Nevercenter and try it out.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    DAZ used Lightwave up through Gen 3. Modo for Gen 4 and up.

Apollo Max was done in Wings 3D.

I LUST AFTER MODO!!!