ISO: No nostrils morph for M4/H4/Gen4

mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Probably a long shot asking this, but has anyone seen such an animal?

I've seen earless morphs, package morphs, toe morphs, finger-hiding morphs and so forth, but I haven't run across a no nostrils morph, and I'd really like to have one for toon/anime-style characters. Sometimes the character looks fine with nostrils, but other times the holes gotta go.

Hiro4 has a "nose triangle" dial, but even at 100% it still leaves nostrils. They're little tiny dots, but they're still there.

I can edit out the little dots in postwork (as shown below) but it would be nice to skip that extra step, if at all possible.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

yes http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-morphs which have a large number of Nostril adjustments as shown below

Taken form http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/7878

InjDeltas.PHMNoseBridgeDepth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseBridgeHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseBridgeThickness.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseBridgeWidth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseBump.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseDefine.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseDepth.pz2

InjDeltas.PHMNoseFleshFull.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseLargeWidth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNosePinch.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseRidgeWidth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseRound.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseSeptumHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseSeptumWidth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseSide-Side.pz2

InjDeltas.PHMNoseSize.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseSlope.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseTipDepth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseTipHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseTipUp-Down.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseTwist.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNoseWidth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsCreaseDepth.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsFleshSize.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsHoleHeight.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsHoleSize.pz2
    InjDeltas.PHMNostrilsWidth.pz2

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I honest don't know if these will fill the gaps until the are almost invisable but to really get rid of them is to make a morph in a modelling program.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Szark. I do have M4's morphs and I used some of the nostril options to try and eliminate them, but wasn't able to quite do so. I was also using CDI's Morphus, which has some useful nose controls, but, alas, no nostril banishing ones.

Attached images are what I ended up with, before I edited in postwork. I came pretty close.

Since I do a lot of postwork anyway, that's going to be easier for me than modeling something in a modeling program (I wouldn't even know where to begin.) I was just hoping someone had made a no nostrils morph, like a no ears morph or whatever, since anime and manga style characters are popular.

nostrils03.png
    631 x 756 - 496K
    nostrils02.png
    578 x 643 - 401K
    nostrils01.png
    543 x 641 - 364K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Oops, guess I should have read better. I banged out this no nostrils morph for Genesis in about ten minutes. I suppose I can do one for M4 and company and V4 and company if people would like. Someone will have to walk me the process of legally distributing them though.

Genesis_NoNostrils.jpg
    328 x 418 - 18K
    edited December 1969

That looks great!

jestmart said:
    I suppose I can do one for M4 and company and V4 and company if people would like. Someone will have to walk me the process of legally distributing them though.

Well, obviously I would like! :lol: I can't get DS4 to run properly on my computer, so I can't use Genesis. I'm sure there are some Poser-only people who'd find a morph like that useful too.

No idea about the distribution stuff, but I'm sure someone around here can explain the particulars.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

My question for YOU is, how did you get Xena Hair to work on H4? Also, what manner of skin texture be that? :)

edited December 1969

My question for YOU is, how did you get Xena Hair to work on H4? Also, what manner of skin texture be that? :)

I don't own any Xena Hair. If you mean the pointy hair on the toony guy, that's from a set of hair props for Animedoll that I downloaded here at Deviantart.

As for the textures, they're from my freebie Toon Tones for Sadie and Sam, which I just applied to H4, and then (mostly) used the Animeeyes A4H4 for the eyes, brows, and lashes.

I'm working on making my Sadie/Sam set more Poser-friendly, and I'm also working on adapting it, with toon eyes, lashes, brows, etc., to the Gen4 characters. But it's a little slow going because I've been busy with a few other projects.

edited December 1969

Well I had M4 all done only to realize that I hadn't zeroed him before exporting from Studio.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:

I don't own any Xena Hair. If you mean the pointy hair on the toony guy, that's from a set of hair props for Animedoll that I downloaded here at Deviantart.

As for the textures, they're from my freebie Toon Tones for Sadie and Sam, which I just applied to H4, and then (mostly) used the Animeeyes A4H4 for the eyes, brows, and lashes.

I'm working on making my Sadie/Sam set more Poser-friendly, and I'm also working on adapting it, with toon eyes, lashes, brows, etc., to the Gen4 characters. But it's a little slow going because I've been busy with a few other projects.
    The Anime Eyes I knew about already, but my! I'm loving what I'm seeing with the others! :)

• edited April 2013

I created a no-nostril morph for the base H4. This will not work for M4 and I can't guarantee how it will work with all nose morphs for H4. If it doesn't work for the character you have, you can send me dial settings and I'll try to customize it for you. (This affects nostrils only; I did not change the nose shape at all.)

Download here. Put in the Pose folder of your runtime -- I didn't include the runtime folder tree.

h4_nostrils.jpg
    400 x 400 - 15K
    Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    I created a no-nostril morph for the base H4. This will not work for M4 and I can't guarantee how it will work with all nose morphs for H4. If it doesn't work for the character you have, you can send me dial settings and I'll try to customize it for you. (This affects nostrils only; I did not change the nose shape at all.)

Download here. Put in the Pose folder of your runtime -- I didn't include the runtime folder tree.

Thank you, thank you! I won't get a chance to test this out until later tonight, but when I do, I'll report back.

• edited December 1969

I should have posted an image without the default M4 texture, which has some nose/nostril shading. Here's another render without a texture -- you can still see a tiny little dimple in the nose. I hate to go much further with it as I don't want to distort the nose at all.

h4_no-nostril.jpg
    400 x 400 - 7K
    edited December 1969

I got my done today but when testing I encountered something odd. Loaded a fresh H4 to verify, I thing my H4 is broken, this is what I get when I set American1 to 100%

H4_American1_100percent.jpg
    434 x 547 - 40K
    edited April 2013

jestmart said:
    I got my done today but when testing I encountered something odd. Loaded a fresh H4 to verify, I thing my H4 is broken, this is what I get when I set American1 to 100%

Ha! I know what's wrong. You have both the Hiro default face and the Hiro American face dialed at 100%. If you zero out the H4 default face, he won't look quite so scary. :)

Okay, I've had a chance to do some quick testing.

The no nostrils morphs works very well on the default H4 nose. (first image)

When I applied it to my HiroToon #03 (second image), which is the one that uses the "nose triangle" dial, the nostrils popped way out. When I dialed the morph down to .10 rather than 1.0, the nostrils were no longer popped out. The "before" (left) and "after" (right) doesn't show much of a difference, though the after is a bit smaller. It also helped some when I switched the nostril color from black back to the tone texture I was using for the figure.

Then I tried it out on my HiroToon #02, which doesn't use the "nose triangle" dial. Applying the no nostrils morph did a pretty good job of getting rid of them, as shown in the last before/after picture.

So I think your no-nostril morph and the nose triangle dial might kind of cancel each other out.

nostrils-hirotoon2-beforeafter.png
    786 x 633 - 328K
    nostrils-hirotoon3-beforeafter.png
    875 x 598 - 238K
    nostrils-origh4.png
    512 x 340 - 130K
    Post edited by mmalbert on
    edited December 1969

Also wanted to add that HiroToon #02 actually uses more nose morphs than #03 (both loaded with M4++, Hiro4, and CDI's Morphus.)

• edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    Also wanted to add that HiroToon #02 actually uses more nose morphs than #03 (both loaded with M4++, Hiro4, and CDI's Morphus.)

The nostril morph pretty much needs to be done after you've created your character, if you aren't using the base H4. I found that playing with the M4++ nose morphs that many of them distort the nostril area and ruin the no-nostril morph.

I own all the products you listed, so if you can make me a dial pose injection if you know how (or even just pm me a list of the dial settings if you don't want to list them here), then I'll create a couple custom nostril morphs for you. The morphs are easy -- the hardest part is creating the injection files and pngs. :-)

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    mmalbert said:

The nostril morph pretty much needs to be done after you've created your character, if you aren't using the base H4. I found that playing with the M4++ nose morphs that many of them distort the nostril area and ruin the no-nostril morph.

Yeah, I've always been a little frustrated by the lack of morphs for the nose tip and nostrils area, which has a lot of variety in humans but the shaping dials are limited. As for the no-nostril thing with anime/manga-styled characters, the nose triangle dial is useful, but not quite there. Fortunately, there's always postwork.

I own all the products you listed, so if you can make me a dial pose injection if you know how (or even just pm me a list of the dial settings if you don't want to list them here), then I'll create a couple custom nostril morphs for you. The morphs are easy -- the hardest part is creating the injection files and pngs. :-)

Thank you! I'll PM you, and hope it's not too much trouble. Like I said, cloning or editing out a dot is a lot easier than actual nostrils. :lol:

edited December 1969

Thanks for setting me straight on the head morphs. Pretty much had the same results as fivecat, it just isn't possible to make a general purpose no nostril morph. Even the M4 and Genesis ones I made would distort as more basic shaping morphs where used. The more a morph or series of morphs changed the base shape the no nostrils morphs was made for the greater the distortion. Of course you all could learn Blender, with its multitudes of mesh editing and sculpt tools it is fast and easy to make any custom no nostril morph needed. Sorry, always have to get an endorsement for Blender in whenever the opportunity presents itself.

• edited December 1969

@mmalbert: got your zip and will work on it today.

@jestmart: I have Blender on my linux desktop but haven't tried it yet.

• edited December 1969

I sent you a pm with the zips.

I had fun adding an extra triangle nose morph for the first hiro toon.

h4_triangle_full.jpg
    400 x 400 - 10K
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    I sent you a pm with the zips.

I had fun adding an extra triangle nose morph for the first hiro toon.

Got it! Many thanks again. The picture you just posted looks great! Much better than anything I was able to get with the regular dials.

I admit I have little desire (or time) to try and learn something like Blender. For me, renders are a lot like stock photos, and postwork is a given.

Still, I do like to save myself as much work as possible. :red:

edited December 1969

Success! Again, I love the triangle nose option for HiroToon #02. The teeny dimples weren't really noticeable, and after I ran the test images through my usual postwork filters it's truly nostril free. Yay!

Thank you so much for your help. :lol:

HiroToon03-NewNosePW02sm.jpg
    828 x 900 - 320K
    HiroToon02-NewNosePW02sm.jpg
    996 x 900 - 274K