My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I am the last person to know what must go into modeling a character - maybe down the road - but Brash looks fantastic!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

Thank you, Vyusur and UnifiedBrain

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Awesome Brash! Wow, he's really looking great!

I love all of your notes regarding the process too... this thread is such a valuable resource to anyone endeavoring to try their hand at figure-making. Very cool!

Diomede said:

Thanks, Mike.  Has been a great learning exercise.  Your modeling tutorial helped a lot.  https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-modeling-tutorials

Me too! Although I'm not one whom looks upon our vertex modeler as taboo... I love watching these for fresh tips. I bought them knowing that I'd learn from them and I was right to do so. Great stuff!

• A lot to marinate on, lol

You speak true! yes

edited November 2017

While the Brash mesh and base morphs are nearly complete, Moxie is not yet ready for prime time.  I will be doing the mesh for Moxie over again to get better edge flow in the figure and reduce the base polygons in the face - before also converting for a higher res version.  Here is the current version alongside Brash. 

Moxie and Brash Render Ugh.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Yes, Brash has better topology than Moxie.

Awesome Diomede! He's really come a long way. 

Aslo, Moxie does look great! not refined like Brash, but wow, what a face! 

edited November 2017

Moxie 2.  Actually, I'm not sure what happened above.  I had made and saved Moxie back in February/March.  That figure above looks like I wrote/saved a quick toon figure over the Moxie.  Not sure.  Doesnt matter.  Here is Moxie 2.0.  I say 2.0 because I'm not satisfied yet, but I think further mesh changes can be minor.  The edge loops and flow are much better again.  After a few more touch ups, additional changes can be done with morphs.

aa01 moxie edge loops revised.JPG
    1450 x 1033 - 182K
    aa02 edge loops body.JPG
    940 x 957 - 102K

She's fantastic, Sir! Absolutely! yes

edited November 2017

And here is Moxie compared to the base G2F.  

moxie compared.jpg
    800 x 600 - 30K
    edited November 2017

Thanks, Dart.  No eyebrows yet for Moxie 2.0, but I will wait on that until I know that the mesh is final.

edited November 2017

And here is Moxie 2.0 next to Brash. With Moxie slightly shorter than genesis and Brash slightly taller, the height difference of the base figures is probably about what would be expected for a typical pulp hero and heroine.

zz01 moxie and brash.jpg
    800 x 600 - 31K

Yeah. Dartanbeck hero figure is 6'2", while Rosie Heroine is 5'4"

James Cagney is listed as 5'5"

James_cagney_promo_photo.jpg
    1054 x 1414 - 494K

Emilia Clarke (Danerys Stormborn) - 5'2"

Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) - 6'4"

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work on this Diomede!

edited November 2017

Thanks for the encouragement, PhilW.  It is all your fault.  Ever since I saw you rig the insect man in your tutorials I have wanted to create my own toon figures.  I will get there someday.

Here is another Moxie2 test.    The test here was for the eyebrows,  They are Carrara dynamic hair grown on the figure mesh.  Still no eyelashes though.  Her skin is just the default organic skin shader that comes with Carrara.  The eyeballs' shaders are based on the maps for Victoria 6.

Wanted a different cheekbone structure than I normally do.  Now I may regret it, but that kind of thing can be addressed with morphs.

moxie portrait yes eyebrows no lips or eyelashes.jpg
    800 x 800 - 31K

Awesome! She's looking great! yes

Thanks, Dart.  Almost the time of year for the source of all inspiration.

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Diomede,  Great modeling once again.  

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

You really are doing some great work Diomede!

He's Mr. Ice Sickle, He's Mr. Snow!

Diomede said:

Thanks for the encouragement, PhilW.  It is all your fault.  Ever since I saw you rig the insect man in your tutorials I have wanted to create my own toon figures.  I will get there someday.

My work on that rigging was very basic, you have taken things to a whole new level!

PhilW said:
    Diomede said:

My work on that rigging was very basic, you have taken things to a whole new level!

Well... sure. But it shows the process, which is the magic of it all. You've really packed a LOT of great How-To material in that one product. I love it!

Kind of you to say so - again!

edited November 2017

And here is a version of Moxie with the Face and lips UVs adjusted to accept genesis 2 female texture maps.  This is with Victoria 6 maps.  Forgot the nostrils and still no eyelashes.  blush

moxie with v6 shaders.jpg
    800 x 800 - 45K
    edited November 2017

Oh, forgot to mention.  The version immediately above has the painted on eyebrows of the V6 texture map.  Can compare to a version with no painted eyebrows, but instead uses dynamic hair for brows (about 8 or 9 posts above).  I have some skin map merchant resources such as those from Forbidden Whispers, and I want the option to have do the eyebrows either way.

Invite comments on eyebrows (or anything else).

of above two Moxie images

In this case the painted eyebrows seem to fit better. She doesn't seem to have eyelids, or only slight ones? I know you said you have yet to add eyelashes.