Can you create a cube and then separately uv map each surface?

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Comments

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:

Im sure there is a way in carrara but as im kinda new to it i use this ...

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx

;)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Using Cubic Projection to uv map a cube is a rather trivial exercise in Hexagon that does not require an external program, Orion_Uk.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

in Carrara I would just create a new shading domain on each side and flat map it, in the shader room as well picking that face.
    otherwise a cube is usually 6 pictures on a 3x2 sqaure unwrapped depending on what uv mapping is applied to the obj
    so just shuffle and rotate your clipboard piccys using irfanview's panorama function or paint's area select until they go where you want.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Ascania said:
    Using Cubic Projection to uv map a cube is a rather trivial exercise in Hexagon that does not require an external program, Orion_Uk.

My bad..lol.

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

in Carrara I would just create a new shading domain on each side and flat map it

You can do the same in Hex - just hide the faces not being mapped.

Seems pretty pointless on a simple cube, but is a handy method for something more complicated.

• edited May 2012

BlitzMan said:

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "surface".

If by "each surface" you mean "each face", when you UV map a mesh, every vertex gets laid out on a plane. I know of no method or program that will allow you to, say, map a single face and its 4 vertices on a cube while not mapping the other vertices (and their associated faces).

You could manually delete any "unwanted" vertices/faces (if these are what you mean by "surfaces"?) from the OBJ file with a text editor, but that gets complicated and I don't know what purpose it would serve.

Now once you map a cube into its 6 faces, you can easily apply a texture to a single face and no others (althiugh the "untextured" faces will assume the background color of the texture map you apply).

OTOH, as Wendy♥catz and Roygee intimate, you may mean "shading domain" when you say "surface". If this is the case, then yes, using hexagon you can assign separate shading domains to various faces and apply separate texture maps to each of them.
    Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • eyelinereyeliner Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Following this topic, I stumbled upon this one: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc15

I export my cube to a 3DS file, and textures do not appear. Not in Bryce, not in Daz, not in my game engine, not in Wings3D. Can someone tell me if there's any special setting I need to set up.

Thanks be to you.

edited December 1969

I'm no expert on the .3DS format, not needing it much, but it appears that Hex does not write shading domains or a texture file when exporting in that format.

However, if you export as .obj, or .car, open in Carrara and export as .3ds, Carrara does export shading and textures - as far as I can tell, DS does not import .3ds

edited December 1969

Carrara... You serious? Surely you jest, my lord. The software you so distinctly write about has quite a steep price tag for a scoundrel such as I. I thank you for thy advice, and hereby posit my thanks.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

afreaginname:

Just as it is possible to assign a separate Material/Shader Zone to each and every facet of a mesh, one can assign separate UV's to each facet (separated/non-stitched facets) in UV space. It surely can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it (for usual mapping).

I don't do it as a rule, but it can easily be done in Wings3D, and I have done it on a default sphere in W3D as a test before. You can also auto-single facet map using W3D "Snap Image" function as well.

There, now you know of at least one software that can do this. You should give it a try. It is great fun.

Take care all...
    Ken

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2012

A fairly easy way to get the result you want is to use the unfold tool in the UV & Paint tab, Select edges then press CTRL & A, then in the UV view click on the + key and the little face. This will give separate the faces for you, all you have to do is rotate and scale them (keeping things with-in the grid).

I would recommend using UVmapper (free) to scale the map.

cube-faces.jpg
    600 x 471 - 47K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

eyeliner said:
    Carrara... You serious? Surely you jest, my lord. The software you so distinctly write about has quite a steep price tag for a scoundrel such as I. I thank you for thy advice, and hereby posit my thanks.

lol! I just said what I would do in Carrara as it is the software I am familiar with using it since C5pro
    have Hexagon too and assume you can do the same thing, just never tried it.
    as a result I have no idea how but guess you select polys on each face in turn and create domains you can apply planar uv mapping to, or box mapping since it is a cube!
    with the latter the seperate texture maps would have 5 empty squares and an image for each surface in the corresponding 6th or just one map of 3x2 images,
    unwrapping which I definately can't do would mean you could move those images to where they make sense for you, ie four walls in a row ceiling on top floor below or whatever you are doing.
    edited December 1969

Carrara… You serious? Surely you jest, my lord. The software you so distinctly write about has quite a steep price tag for a scoundrel such as I. I thank you for thy advice, and hereby posit my thanks.

Be of good cheer, young scoundrel - cyberspace is teeming with free applications waiting upon your command to do the conversion - Anim8or, Wings3D, Blender and the grandpappy of all, MeshLab.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

eyeliner said:

lol! I just said what I would do in Carrara as it is the software I am familiar with using it since C5pro
    have Hexagon too and assume you can do the same thing, just never tried it.
    as a result I have no idea how but guess you select polys on each face in turn and create domains you can apply planar uv mapping to, or box mapping since it is a cube!
    with the latter the seperate texture maps would have 5 empty squares and an image for each surface in the corresponding 6th or just one map of 3x2 images,
    Wrong! Box mapping allows you to have all sides overlap and have each one fill the complete UV map. Combined with separate shading domains for the sides there is absolutely no need to fiddle with empty squares.
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Carrara… You serious? Surely you jest, my lord. The software you so distinctly write about has quite a steep price tag for a scoundrel such as I. I thank you for thy advice, and hereby posit my thanks.

Be of good cheer, young scoundrel - cyberspace is teeming with free applications waiting upon your command to do the conversion - Anim8or, Wings3D, Blender and the grandpappy of all, MeshLab.I agree with your reasoning and use Wings3D plentifully to a good measure of success.

I dived on that cyberspace scenario and got me a recent version of that Blender stuff. How convoluted it is. Either way, I came to figure that Hexagon makes this task also. Not Wings3D simple, but fairly close.

Praise be thy helpful souls, my friends.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 276
    Roygee said:
    You can do the same in Hex - just hide the faces not being mapped.

When I saw this comment from Roygee, I thought "You beauty - exacly what I need" - but I haven't been able to make it work.  I have a simple model with 2 material zones and I want to remap one of those materials but not the other.  As far as I've been able to make it happen, whenever I remap, it remaps the entire Hex object, whether all faces are selected or not and whether any of the faces are hidden or not.

Have I missed something?