Black eyes in Gen 2

I've been away from Carrara for a while. Amazing what I have forgotten. One of the problems which I know I have run into the past is the black eyes in Genesis 2.  I thought Phil had covered it in his tutorials - if he did I can't find it.  A search on the forum has not brought anything up either - Perhaps the the wrong question?  

Thanks for any your time and attention.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2017

Starboard - welcome back and hello.  Some pretty exciting stuff recently.  Via Albeto, there is potentially a new plugin on the way for fluids which you may be particularly interested in.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/202391/fluids-in-carrara-and-a-plugin-by-alberto-is-coming/p1

Regarding the eyes, the problem is likely the result of the default Studio textures for the cornea and similar stuff over the eye.  Dartanbeck, PhilW, etc. have much more detailed suggestions for getting that realistic reflection and highlight.  However, to get started, I would recommend just loading the Genesis M5 character.  While the default load will have the black eye problem, it does ship with a Carrara shader.  In the shader browser, there should be a set of shaders for M5 and V5 under the skin : genesis folder.  Load the Michael 5 genesis character.  Click and drag the global skin shader to the big multicolored sphere in the shader tab.  Check out the shader tree for the cornea.  There are at least three places to check including the alpha settings, and the highlight settings, and the reflection settings.  When you load a default Genesis, it is common for the diffuse map to load, but maps in these other shader channels (also bump fails to load) because the defaults are for Studio and not translated properly for Carrara.

I think that a Michael 6 Carrara shader also ships with C8.5, but I am less sure.  I may have gotten that from Ringo.  But you should check to see if your shader browser has an M6 shader in the folder Skin : Michael 6 Shader.  If you have it, check the settings for eye reflection, tear, cornea, and other eye characteristics.  When you load a Genesis 2 figure, many of these settings will not be optimized. You have to click and drag the Michael 6 Shader from the browser to the globe in the shader tab.  

Bottom line: to get up and running, you can copy the eye settings from shaders for Genesis M5 (and maybe genesis 2 M6) that ship from Carrara. From there, you can get more optimized advice from Dart, PhilW, etc.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193

Also, make sure "Light Through Transparency" is turned on in the render room.

Another Quick Fix for the cornea would be to simply drop the Glass Clear shader preset into that domain - or any other suitably transparent shader.

• https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50941/carrera-black-eye-it-must-be-me-it-can-t-be-designed-this-way/p1

I always use Google for searches, not the forum.  In this case, since I knew that you had asked it before, the search was for Carrara black eyes starboard.

• Thanks everybody.

UnifiedBrain put me back to the original post - yikes back  in2015. It is strange to read your own posts from a couple of years ago...I was, obviously,  smarter back then, and still could not figure it out. 

Dart solved it back then; simply drop the colored iris channel on top of the extra black channel.  

Thanks for the quick response..Back to doing something constructive.

Thanks Diomede, for the fluid link.  I like the fluid simulation, you can see the potential. It is too bad that you have to go into Blender first. From what I have gathered Blender is far too obtuse a program for my brain to make sense of.  Hoping lightning strikes, there really is a Santa Claus, and Carrara gets updated .  With of course,  native fluid simulation, such as Houdini's wave generator. Until that time, I will use Carrara's water combined with real footage of waves in After Effects.  I can live with this. I love the rendering and modeling of Carrara as it is - just need to upgrade my brain to the next brain OS so as to take advantage of it all.

Thanks everybody for the great help

• starboard said:

Thanks Diomede, for the fluid link.  I like the fluid simulation, you can see the potential. It is too bad that you have to go into Blender first.

Unless I have wildly misunderstood something, the fluid plugin that is under development by Alberto does not require any other programs - it will work right inside Carrara.

• Thia is probably a question that shows how little I know about such things, but could this be a way to a future for Carrara, in that there are numerous plugins which constantly add features? If DAZ is not going to develop it further, might individuals step in and use it as a base structure to build onto. Apparently adding plugins does not infringe on the  patent and copywrites.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791
    edited November 2017
    MDO2010 said:
    starboard said:

Thanks Diomede, for the fluid link.  I like the fluid simulation, you can see the potential. It is too bad that you have to go into Blender first.

Unless I have wildly misunderstood something, the fluid plugin that is under development by Alberto does not require any other programs - it will work right inside Carrara.

that was a thread started by me about getting Blender fluids into Carrara

then Alberto posted about his plugin so I ammended the title to draw attention to his plugin.

I shall edit a bit more ....

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on