HU - little change for the Free items

124»

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info folks. It's a pity. I have most of the files myself, but they were such a great resource for new users...

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

The self censorship imposed by the fear of instantaneous slander based lawsuits would prevent that these days, even though there was actually nothing negative being said.
    There's more to it than that-- they don't want to lose advertisers-- that's probably an even bigger incentive than lawsuits in the case of Rooney. You've got all these near-monopolies these days. I remember over a decade ago MSNBC (back when they were called that) lost Amtrack's business because of all the trainwreck jokes Jay Leno made. Which is pretty damn petty, I mean, I know Jay made Amtrack jokes almost nightly, but it's still a damn comedy. Not sure why it was a big loss anyway-- I've never seen an Amtrack commercial or ad banner in my entire life. Now, if that bad been say-- Kraft, Disney, or Nabisco, NBC would have been in serious trouble (granted, they would have given Leno the can in that case without batting an eyelash)

• MechRMechR Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Is "free with purchase" gone now too? Now the newsletter just lists them as "PC freebies".

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

MechR said:
    Is "free with purchase" gone now too? Now the newsletter just lists them as "PC freebies".

No the freebie page still has free with purchase for the freebies for non-members. I don't get the newsletters [?why but] ... so not sure, is it possibly a PC newsletter in which case the purchase requirement doesn't apply.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Maybe they renamed them because they got kicked for naming them just "freebies"?
    As in: "if I have to buy something to get it free it is not free"
    So now they are PC freebies, as they are free for PC members.

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Mystery solved, I wondered where the free had gone, I don't religiously drop in for the free, I forget. I paid into my PC membership diligently until one day Daz took three times the amount they should have and I told them to refund me the difference so they cancelled my membership. I never looked back.
    I miss the free it was a nice link into other products that it served to demonstrate and made me think "I need that" and spend way more money on the virtual than on the reality of life.
    I am disappointed that the free has gone, but I thank DAZ for taking away the free because now I won't be tempted to buy any additional items that the free object encouraged me to buy. Thanks for saving me money. I am certainly not going to buy it just because if I buy something I get the free, free, wow thats as clever as my Prime Ministers budget.
    Not buy one get one free but buy this and you can have your free, free, great idea, must be how our Government manages so succinctly.

Also saying that PC members still get the free, free is not in the least enticement to draw me back to the my PC membership. Wouldn't mind so much if March Madness which used to be fantastic fun, and the Members Month in November had something new to offer. Now DAZ is so far off the scale with its technological improvements and genesis and lord knows what my poor computer is growling to a halt with one render.

I hanker back to the days of DAZ when it was for the customer and YOU cared about your customers and our opinions mattered.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I hanker back to the days of DAZ when it was for the customer and YOU cared about your customers and our opinions mattered.

You're not alone....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

You're not alone....
    ...seconded.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You're not alone....

...seconded.

Yeah. Daz Studio isn't professional-grade software; it's hobbyist-grade. Since they're pushing Daz Studio instead of Bryce or Cararra, their target market is hobbyists - a group who wants their products but does not need their products. On the other hand, they need our money to stay afloat. Somebody at DAZ3D really needs to hire - and pay attention to - a business consultant who understands luxury-goods markets. (That, or start promoting Cararra and draw in professionals who actually do need their products.)

Oh, and getting back to the original topic ... Since one now has to buy something (even a PC membership costs money) to get the extra items at no charge, the word DAZ3D is looking for to describe them is "bonus", not "free".

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Yeah I think "bonus" would come across better.

For those with slower machines ... don't forget that D/S uses all the processing cores [if I have my terminology correct] and if you go into the task manager, select the D/S exe, right-click and then via 'set affinity' zilch one or two [assuming one has more than one], you'll get some stuff back for your computer's OS to work with.

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Man, I was hoping that this whole thing was just a fluke with their store or something. Like a lot of others have mentioned, I probably wouldn't have even gotten started in 3D if it hadn't been for all their original freebies. At first I just did stuff w/ the freebies (anyone remember V3 as a fairy in the forest...?), but once I got hooked, I started actually spending money on things here, mostly $5-15, but occasionally around $80 or so. I think that most of the regulars around here (like me) will just be disappointed and shrug it off, but new people who come across the site will probably be less likely to get started, since perusing the "free" section shows a bunch of stuff that *gasp* costs money and isn't actually free! I used to recommend people to come here, letting them know there was some free stuff to get them started and see if they liked it, but I don't reckon I'll be doing that any more. :( They used to be free "indefinitely," then they were free for a limited time, which was okay but not as great, and now, well...they're not really free anymore.

I'm thankful for all the freebies they've released so far, but I'm disappointed to see them go. There were some really nice ones. :\

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You're not alone....

...seconded.
    Thirded.
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

You're not alone....

...seconded.
    Thirded.

Fourthed.
    It's a shadow of it's former self and that's a shame.

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Even though I haven't been here as long, I agree with you all as I had seen enough of how much better DAZ handled their customers before the recent changes. I've voiced my dissatisfaction through the zendesk. So keep doing that, too. And maybe, just maybe, they'll get a clue.

• drucdruc Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

When I first started to dabble in 3D it was with Poser 5. I then found Victoria 4 and Michael 4 as free base version avatars at Daz3D. The story going around was they were the most supported avatars on the internet (V4 in particular). I thought V4 was so superior to the female avatar in poser 5, she became my main female avatar with M4 as her support figure.

At that time and for a long time after, I thought Daz3D had the perfect business plan. Supply V4 and M4 base figures free and reap the rewards with "value added products". Because V4 and M4 were free and worked in multiple applications content providers saw a growing market for their products. This resulted in V4 being the most widely supported avatar across multiple platforms.

Daz3D had a unique business plan. In the world of commerce you need to have a unique product that is required or a unique business plan to succeed. Daz3D had this. Added to the free avatars, Daz3D also had a weekly freebie and a freebie archive (if you could find it). This gave the newbie a free taste and I am sure fostered future purchases. For example, V4 base figure was a free download so the potential customer could check how good she was compared to the competition, and would then buy Morphs ++, then hair then maybe clothes etc. All good and according to plan.

Unfortunately, something has gone wrong. The business plan is still valid and unique. I would hazard a guess and say it was in the marketing area. Daz3D was not able to attract enough vendors to sustain or meet expected profits.

I am concerned the recent changes, starting back when V4 etc. ceased being free, have resulted in the "baby being thrown out with the bathwater".

As an addendum, I have recently purchased Poser Pro 2012. I do like Genesis. I think it will revolutionise 3D for the next period of time (once Daz3D sort out the issue of animation). So I am re-learning Poser and moving further away for Daz3D. Might I suggest that Daz3D look at making a high poly Genesis, without the need for Subdivision levels for animation and a (current) version that uses subdivision. This would be like Poser, supplying a high resolution avatar and a low resolution avatar.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Even though I haven't been here as long, I agree with you all as I had seen enough of how much better DAZ handled their customers before the recent changes. I've voiced my dissatisfaction through the zendesk. So keep doing that, too. And maybe, just maybe, they'll get a clue.

Funny that you would bring this up, I just was wondering about that being the proper route to send customer feedback. Too bad it is not more of a separate department... I thought it used to be, but as we've all noticed, things change.
    The disappointing thing is that given the number of product support issues, unless there is someone specifically tasked to read these feedback observations, they would most likely seem to fall pretty far down on the priority list.
  • ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Yeah. The zendesk has "General Feedback" as one of the options. I have sent a few and gotten responses of appreciation and it would be forwarded to their marketing or such and such department. It might be just scripted answers, but at least I know I did something and maybe get a response if luck is with me. A longshot, but you never know.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

I can't even figure how those "bonus" items are supposed to work - I was purchasing a fast grab item today and tried adding the DVDs that appear at the top of the "freebie" list to the cart - but it didn't show up as free. What could I be doing wrong? Not that I want those DVDs that badly, but who knows, maybe one day I'm going to need the current "bonus" item too...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I can't even figure how those "bonus" items are supposed to work - I was purchasing a fast grab item today and tried adding the DVDs that appear at the top of the "freebie" list to the cart - but it didn't show up as free. What could I be doing wrong? Not that I want those DVDs that badly, but who knows, maybe one day I'm going to need the current "bonus" item too...

It won't show up in the Quick Cart -- from the Quick Cart click on "Go to Shopping Cart" and see if the discount shows up there.

• celticarchiecelticarchie Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

What’s happened to the Daz Weekly Freebie? :ohh:

I keep seeing things being advertised as FREE in the news letters and things like Hot Promotions >

shows this http://www.daz3d.com/technopolis/ as being free…but when you click on the actual product…it’s not?

:red: What’s going on?

Si :grrr:

Gee, really Daz? The Weekly Freebie was like the worm on the hook, it’s gets the customer to browse and spot stuff they’d buy along with the Freebie. Forcing people to buy something first so they get a Freebie is more likely to make people say, oh I can do without and wander by. That’s basic common sense.

You should probably stop advertising things for FREE which aren’t…as that is false advertising. (Bad business ethics) You could label them as SPECIALS to let folks know they can get them for free with a purchase or if they are PC members.

OR even better, you could reverse this terrible decision and become COOL again. :-)

Si :lol: < hopeful ain’t I…sheeh!

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Whilst I understand some of the reasoning behind the change in the obtaining of 'Freebies' (I have been guilty in the past of just picking up the weekly freebie without actually buying anything for months at a time), it has had the effect of reducing the number of purchases made & saving me money.

I no longer impulse buy - If I see something I want, I check to see what the 'free' product is. If I don't like it, or can't think of a use for it, I then wait to see what the next 'free' product is.

This gives me a cooling off period to re-evaluate if I actually needed the original product. By the time a 'freebie' that I want turns up, I find that the original product is not needed, not on sale anymore or something else has caught my eye.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,172
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    That's not a "little" change. That's the single most effective thing DAZ could possibly do to discourage new users. I can say for certain that if the freebies hadn't actually been free two years ago, I wouldn't be spending far too much of my money on 3D content now.
    ...if "freebies" required a cash money purchase of another product when I started in this, I probably wouldn't have bothered with 3D at all. For months I existed pretty much on freebie content as I evaluated whether or not this was something I would like to continue to the point of sinking my hard earned money into it.

This is not a good thing and I agree, a discouragement to newcomers.

That's not a "little" change. That's the single most effective thing DAZ could possibly do to discourage new users. I can say for certain that if the freebies hadn't actually been free two years ago, I wouldn't be spending far too much of my money on 3D content now.

I agree. We are being weaned from mother's milk. It's been a long deliberate trend to eliminate the model freebies. The effect though is to kill the incentives that brought and keep many of us here. Perhaps the cutbacks are necessary to help DAZ survive, but in my humble opinion (oy!) this is just another nail in the coffin. I've said it before, I'll say it again. The DAZ that we knew and loved is gone. :-( Eaten by corporate mindset. Now DAZ is just another bean in the pot, lorded over by bean counters.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • celticarchiecelticarchie Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Daz has had a Weekly Freebie since just after I joined in 2005. It was the mark that Daz was a cool company, that respected it's customers, to give something of quality away for free with no underlying requirements.

Recently it's been the only incentive to visit the store once a week to see if there is anything any good. Sometimes you strike lucky and sometimes you don't, but there was that consolation of getting the freebie which might be good for something someday.

Now my 99% favourite vendors are making Genesis stuff, which I don't use, and if Daz gets their hands on those that still support Generation 4 figures...I'm essentially buggered. No incentive for me to come to Daz shopping.

Si >:(

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

*sigh* No more weekly freebies for me now. My membership officially ended March 12th (but their side told me I had paid another year even though I hadn't)... somebody finally realized their error and I'm not a PC member as of today anymore... No more weekly or monthly freebie for me *sigh*

I'm very mad about the change as well. It was the main reason that I joined the site to begin with... to get those weekly freebies (and then I later became a PC member). I have absolutely no interest in buying from the store just to get a freebie, so I guess one I make my final purchases during the PA sale, I have no real reason to keep me here at Daz anymore and I may end up leaving, I don't know yet. If the freebies hadn't changed, it would be kept me here though....

• Fuzzy_TrollFuzzy_Troll Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I have also noticed that the regular newsletter freebie has become free with purchase, but the free to platinum members has been there a while. If this trend continues and becomes permanent I might just have to cancel my subscription to the newsletter. Sure I enjoyed seeing whats new, but I am so poor these days that the only times i get models of any worth are the free ones. I do purchase from time to time when I do have the money and see something I just have to have but these days spare funds are getting rare.

Please bring back the newsletter freebie, PLEASE.

• edited December 1969

I haven't bought a single thing here since this place has changed so vastly & I probably won't buy much of anything here anymore. It's a shameful thing & bad business. If I did this stuff to my customers I'd be out of business in a month. The change isn't one for the better I'm afraid. You've lost the respect of your client base & that's going to hurt you in the long run.
    Sorry to say, I won't be spending much time or money here anymore. I think I visited over 2 months ago & don't come around here much anymore. The only thing I see is corporate greed & that's what screwed this country up in the first place.
    I have absolutely no need for Genesis nor will I invest my money in a company that acts this way. :( It's a sad day.