The "Go Back and Do It Again" Challenge

On those occasions when I am stuck for inspiration, I sometimes go back to older images and try to do them again but in a different way.

Recently though, I decided to back to the first renders using Daz products that I was actually happy with, and then see how much I could improve on the original image using newer figures, software and hopefully a better level of skill than I possessed back them.

Here is the challenge:

Pick an image from when you first started using Daz products, and update it using any software, figures or postwork techniques that you possess now.  Post the original here in the thread along with your updated version.

Comments

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited October 2017

This original image is from 2004.  At the time, it was one of the first "completed" images that I had done and I was quite proud of it.  It took a fair while to render in Poser 5.  The figure is Vicki 3, using the cyclorama as the background.

The updated image also uses the cyclorama to give some consistency.  Figure is Vicki 8.  Rendered in DS 4.9.

Deadly Beauty 2004.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 313K
    Deadly Beauty 2017.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 202K
    Post edited by Dim Reaper on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Nice idea, I haven't been using daz long enough to want to redo any yet, but I have done this idea with other forms of art and it's a fantastic way to see how much you have improved. 

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Great idea for a challenge! Interestingly, I just redid a couple dozen old renders as part of my Tarot project. I did dozens of renders for it - probably in the neighborhood of 80 - and by the time I got the the last few, I had to go back and redo a bunch that were inconsistent with the feel/style I'd developed while I worked.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

I am sorely tempted, because this sounds like fun!  And what with the RRRR winding down....

I recently ran across my very first 3D render (done in Poser 6); it was your stereotypical NVIATWAS (except, in this case, it was a graveyard), and it was absolutely dreadful!  Fortunately for me, it violates the DAZ TOS, so nobody will ever have to see it!

But, I'll try to scare up -- and I probably mean that literally! -- something more TOS-friendly, but every bit as amateurish and crappy...!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have a whole folder of stuff I want to redo lol.  Will post as I have time to do them.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,475

I like the concept!

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

I like going back and did a few remakes along the way.. Let's see if I come across something that could do with an update :D

edited November 2017

I finally had a chance to go back and play with this. The original was one of the first cards that I did for my Tarot deck, and was actually the reason I reopened DAZ Studio after not touching any sort of rendering for years - I had been working strictly in digital collage, but I couldn't find figures in the pose I wanted, so I decided to set them up and render them myself. Everything else was assembled in GIMP.

In the new render, I retextured and slightly changed the shape of the goblet from The Church Props, used David and Victoria 5 with lightly adjusted poses, added a cyclorama background (LB Summer Sunset Skies). The lighting is a combination of a three-point setup and sun-sky in the iRay render settings. No postwork...

37-pots-two.png
    1850 x 1126 - 8M
    2-pots-tarot.png
    873 x 948 - 1M
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • Chameo said:

I finally had a chance to go back and play with this. The original was one of the first cards that I did for my Tarot deck, and was actually the reason I reopened DAZ Studio after not touching any sort of rendering for years - I had been working strictly in digital collage, but I couldn't find figures in the pose I wanted, so I decided to set them up and render them myself. Everything else was assembled in GIMP.

In the new render, I retextured and slightly changed the shape of the goblet from The Church Props, used David and Victoria 5 with lightly adjusted poses, added a cyclorama background (LB Summer Sunset Skies). The lighting is a combination of a three-point setup and sun-sky in the iRay render settings. No postwork...

Wonderful.  Your "then" and "Now" images have a very different style.  I like both of them because of their different styles.  Your new image has huge improvements on the water, sky and the metal.  Thank you for sharing.

Just remembered I did a remake about a month ago.  Will post it later this afternoon, have to take the dog for a run in a couple of minutes.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow I really like this challenge there are a few renders I would like to go back and redo from when I first started using Daz Studio 4.7!!

I will be back real soon with my very first render and it's improvements!!

Okay here is a redo.  I did the first one at least a year ago and redid it last month.

Okay here is a redo.  I did the first one at least a year ago and redid it last month.

Wow, what a difference! The lighting and changes to the fog really bring this to life.

Thank you very much!  its amazing what a difference a year makes lol!

• Okay here is a redo.  I did the first one at least a year ago and redid it last month.

Wonderful.  I always think that seeing such images shows how an artist develops over time.

• I'll have to pull the hard drive from my old PC and see if I can recover one of my older scenes for this, as I have several that I would like to do this with.

Wonderful.  I always think that seeing such images shows how an artist develops over time.

Thank you!  Its fun to do and see an older idea get closer to what was intended in the first place.

Here is my redo project, I changed the lighting and added a charactor to it also I redid the textures on the outfit of the fathers.

I think it changed the image dramaticly when I changed up the lights to Latino's night time lights.

Here is another redo render for "Car Lover", yet again I changed up the lights to Litinos night time lights increased the size of the car but still rendered in 3Delight with no postwork.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Here is another redo render for "Car Lover", yet again I changed up the lights to Litinos night time lights increased the size of the car but still rendered in 3Delight with no postwork.

Quite an improvement Saphire! Nice one!

Great job on both of those redo's Saphire! I agree, its really fun to see how far we have come!

Quite an improvement Saphire! Nice one!

Thanks Sven for the nice comments.

Great job on both of those redo's Saphire! I agree, its really fun to see how far we have come!

It sure is especially me where I was so stuggling along at first.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited November 2017

The first one is the first finished render I ever did, in 2011 using DS and 3Delight. The second one I rearranged the scene a year later and did some postwork. I am going to recreate it again hopefully and do an Iray render and some newer characters. These were all Genesis and a couple of Lorenzo LoRez. 

This is a fun challenge, Dim Reaper. I have to look on my old computer to see what other old stuff I have.

circus drama.jpg
    1126 x 744 - 644K
    circus drama 2.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 482K
    Post edited by luci45 on