DAZ Invents New, Amusing, And Very Useful Adverb For Sarcastic People

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited October 2017 in The Commons

It's at the bottom of your 'My Account' page, in the 'Looking For Install Manager?' box. Of course in these days when proffreading seems to have become a lost art it could just be a mistake or a typo. But I personally think that it's a wonderful new adverb, and we should all try to use it as much as we can in our day to day lives.

seem·less·ly

ˈsēmləslē/

adverb

adverb: seemlessly

1. without seeming to. Not.

E.g. (spoken sarcastically) "well that worked seemlessly didn't it?" meaning "well that didn't seem to work, did it?"

*Yes, if you spotted it that was a little proofreading joke...

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2017

In case you can't find it your 'My Account' page is here https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account and here's a sceenshot:

Edit: just realized that the example given in the previous definition needs expansion:

E.g. (spoken sarcastically) "well that worked seemlessly didn't it?" meaning "well that didn't seem to work, did it?" or "well that worked without seeming to, didn't it"

The second interpretation is a more interesting one I think...

WithoutSeemingTo.png
    1083 x 167 - 28K
  • LOL good spot

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited October 2017

There are those of us out here who have been floundering in a sea of misused or misspelled words, but have learned to float, and now only shout warnings when a big wave threatens civilization. indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

typos happen but when they are amusing it’s good for a laugh, better than being a grumpy pedantic about everything 

life is too short to be a grammar Nazi.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Grumpy pedant or grumpy and pedantic? Ha ha ha . . . stick it to the Aussies. Godda' be done.

edited October 2017

An unspun gyroscope leads the ship astray.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Set your course by the stars, not by the light of every giant radioactive octopus that passes. -Omar Bradley

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

seem·less·ly

ˈsēmləslē/

adverb

E.g. (spoken sarcastically) "well that worked seemlessly didn't it?" meaning "well that didn't seem to work, did it?"

i like it.  maybe it'll catch on. 

:)

j

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...well, considering how lame the spell checking is here on the forums, it doesn't surprise me that was missed.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

Given the nature of the OP's post, sorry, but I have to. ;)

ahem.PNG
    1317 x 249 - 63K
  • Vaskania said:

I believe that was intentional:

edited October 2017
    Vaskania said:

I believe that was intentional:

Indeed it was. I think Vaskania gets the special custard pie prize for falling for that one ! I hope you like vanilla (or brandy). laugh

Unfortunately the forum software considered that adding two commas to the thread title constituted an edit to the first post, and added the orange "Post edited by 3dcheapskate on October 17", which suggested that I added the footnote later. Rather spoilt my little footnote joke I thought.

In hindsight it would also have worked better if the footnote had used the same spelling as the main text, i.e.

*Yes, if you spotted it that was a little proffreading joke...

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2017

It's at the bottom of your 'My Account' page, in the 'Looking For Install Manager?' box. Of course in these days when proffreading seems to have become a lost art it could just be a mistake or a typo. But I personally think that it's a wonderful new adverb, and we should all try to use it as much as we can in our day to day lives.

seem·less·ly

ˈsēmləslē/

adverb

LOL...we all make mistakes ;). When I was a proofreader, I had a very hard time explaining to the graphic artist that the term was "ICED tea", not "ice" tea. :P He kind of had the same problem with Brussels sprouts. LOL Personally, I make mistakes very frequently...I figure in the internet age we've all become very adept at reading typo (or typosese if you prefer).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094

Lately I've been seeing 'Are you getting hype about this upcoming new movie?' instead of "hyped."  I guess we are at the point where we are dropping endings off words.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Good idea. You may have seemlessly coined a word. BTW, there should be a comma (or even a colon) between "it" and "that" for comprehension.

xyer0 said:

Good idea. You may have seemlessly coined a word. BTW, there should be a comma (or even a colon) between "it" and "that" for comprehension.

a colon? now you are just being anal cheeky

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

and surely a semi colon rather than a colon in that instance.

edited October 2017

How about an exclamation mark, a little dash, or even a then then ?

I prefer a little dash - it rhymes with panache*

And on second thoughts - scrub the exclamation mark !

*the Cyrano de Bergerac one (not the sore kitchenware one that rhymes with cake)

How about an exclamation mark, a little dash, or even a then then ?

I prefer a little dash - it rhymes with panache*

And on second thoughts - scrub the exclamation mark !

*the Cyrano de Bergerac one (not the sore kitchenware one that rhymes with cake)

Touché

th3Digit said:
    xyer0 said:

a colon? now you are just being anal cheeky

Ha! But not retentive, unless there's a blockage of some sort.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    th3Digit said:

typos happen but when they are amusing it’s good for a laugh, better than being a grumpy pedantic about everything 

life is too short to be a grammar Nazi.

I think that should be a grumpy pedant, or am I being too pedantic?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

soooo would I be a pain in butt to meantion that "seemlessly" should actually be spelt "seamlessly" ........

edited October 2017
    carrie58 said:

soooo would I be a pain in butt to meantion that "seemlessly" should actually be spelt "seamlessly" ........

It always helps to point out the obvious in these situations, because unfortunately, these days, it isn't obvious to many people.  And then there are those who just don't care and use whatever rationalization first comes to mind to excuse it and belittle the "grammar Nazis" who point it out.

Well not trying to be a grammar Nazis but I'm thinking alot of younger people don't realize that "seamlessly" actually means "without a seam" as in the two parts were sewn together with the patterns matching so well as to look seamless ......

• carrie58 said:

That's the entire joke of the thread.

okay so color me thick ..... I'll just go ...... umm wander off  somewhere ....... and cluck .........

no I don’t care laugh

when you read Shakesphere and the like and see how the language has evolved and in more modern times look at American English spelling, the new words being added to dictionaries and new ways of using old words you realise languages are living evolving things like the people who use them, the concept of grammar and spelling was actually invented, not all that long ago relatively speaking either.

Like art, fashion, music breaking the rules for some becomes mandatory.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2017

I'm not really too bad when people say something I think doesn't sound right, but for some reason the term "on accident" really makes me nutty. LOL. Like people have forgotten that things happen BY accident, not ON it. LMAO. Saying "pled guilty" rather than "pleaded guilty" sounds wrong to me as well. Pleaded IS the past tense of plead...there is no pled (except here in America where no one cares about grammar anymore - even the legal profession...lol). But like th3Digit has said - language evolves over time.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • And everybody dies so why bother taking care of our bodies?

• And everybody dies so why bother taking care of our bodies?

Exactly! I'm going to need you to teach me your Old English skills though, I'm a bit rusty.