Introduction + rant

j_mk_5290j_mk_5290 Posts: 0
edited June 2014 in New Users

Hi.

My name is spacezoomer. But I prefer to go by Red Blood Cel. I am 22 years old as I type this, going on 23. I live in Houston, Texas and I love to animate. I have no experience in 3D animation, only cel animation, hence Red Blood Cel. I have a strong affinity for non-photorealistic rendering, and rotoscoping. I hope, with your help, to create a cel-shaded mo-cap film, or even a clip. I just love cel-shading. I find computer animation is a lot more appealing when it's doing it's own thing, rather than trying to be state-of-the-art, and super real. That's why I like cel animation and cel shading so much. It's simple. It is it's own thing. I never saw Rise of the Guardians, but I did see How to Train Your Dragon, and I can't help but wonder what it might have looked like if it was cel shaded.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just talking out of my butt. I don't mean to bash CGI. This is just what I think. Oh well. I hope you like me anyway.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited December 1969

I don't like you and yes you're talking out of your butt :-)

• j_mk_5290j_mk_5290 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:

:down: You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

no, farting, OUT HIS BUTT!!!
    Think you will like 3DU toon generations and props somehow %-P
    you might also like Smithmicro's Anime studio
    but even high poly detailed Daz models can be toon rendered
    play with the software and enjoy!

edited December 1969

no, farting, OUT HIS BUTT!!!
    Think you will like 3DU toon generations and props somehow %-P
    you might also like Smithmicro's Anime studio
    but even high poly detailed Daz models can be toon rendered
    play with the software and enjoy!

Thank you. I'll check those wares out. But I knew you could do toon shading in DAZ. I also want to know if you can do mo-cap. Like I said, I want to make a cel-shaded mo-cap clip. With whatever is or can be readily available to me (not to mention affordable.)
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited April 2013

Is cel-shaded mocap not also known as "rotoscoping?"

I'm not sure DS/Poser is the best tool set for that.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Rotoscoping is hand-drawn. I already know how to do that. But I'm sure I could find some way to make it work. If not, I'll just fiddle about with the software until I make the character I want. I've already got realistic proportions. If I can't do mo-cap, can I at least compose my own character models in DAZ?
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

j_mk_5290 said:

Rotoscoping is hand-drawn. I already know how to do that. But I'm sure I could find some way to make it work. If not, I'll just fiddle about with the software until I make the character I want. I've already got realistic proportions. If I can't do mo-cap, can I at least compose my own character models in DAZ?

No. DAZ Studio is a rigging, rendering and animation tool. Modeling has to be done in another program first. I use Blender, others use Hexagon, advanced artists often incorporate Zbrush, etc.

edited December 1969

j_mk_5290 said:

No. DAZ Studio is a rigging, rendering and animation tool. Modeling has to be done in another program first. I use Blender, others use Hexagon, advanced artists often incorporate Zbrush, etc.
    Ah. Darn. But that makes sense anyway. Thanks very much. I'll look that up as well. This was very helpful to me. I think I'm gonna like it here.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited December 1969

j_mk_5290 said:
    cridgit said:

:down: You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

Yes of course - that's why I put that laughing face. I realize re-reading my post that it could easily have come across different, so I'm glad you didn't take offense :-)
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

No jokes here, just a simple welcome! Surf The Commons and the New User Thread and you'll get a better feel for what you can do in DS. (Daz Studio) Have fun!

• blargyblueblargyblue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think old school, hand drawn, cel shaded, rotoscoped, stuff is great. I know less about doing it than you do. Just saying. Lol

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2013

Well just to clarify, that's what rotoscoping means in animation, and is it's original definition from what I understand. However, it has been appropriated by the video industry and there refers to hand touching up frame by frame an image. So, in non hand-drawn animations it could also refer to cleaning up tweens. As to the comment about 3D art sticking to ... well you do realize Hollywood couldn't exist as it is without 3D effects, most of which you nor pretty much anyone else could discern from real world effects they replace. You would have a hard time finding any movie that doesn't incorporate 3D effects, even those that don't appear to have any special effects at all.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Didn't know it also meant tweening or cleanup. I think of it in its original context. It also helped Prince of Persia become an early best selling game, rotoscoping. It added reality to the animation.

Animated film was pretty much dying out due to the cost and labor intensiveness of hand drawn cels. Until computer art came along. I still can't help but love old school stuff.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Yes, I really enjoy and appreciate the artistic aspect of hand done Japanese Anime. My point earlier was that computer effects most often go totally unnoticed (actual quote from interview with ... don't remember exactly atm but was someone like Stephen Spielberg, George Lucas... ) So the comment about not liking the look of it is by definition based on a limited view of poorly executed cg.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

j_mk_5290 said:

I don't know what you mean by mocap. MoCap is Motion Capture. Live Action motion captured to, most often, recreate joint rotations from a live actor on a 3D figure. If you can produce BVH files, you can use those in D|S or Poser or a variety of other software packages. There's also a way to do it with XBox Kinect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJjGARddmlo http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=uLF6C3D6xfg
    So far as cel rendering. That's a function of shaders and rendering.

edited December 1969

The old hand painted animation is awesome. I love that stuff. Much prefer it to computer animation although computer animation can likely be credited for reviving the financial viability of animation. It simply was too expensive to create new films any more the old way. (or so they said)

Rotoscoping is painting directly over a frame of 35mm film if I understand correctly. Painting over a photograph but on each frame of film and the end result is animation.

Oh if only I'd had money when the original cels were first making the round for sale back in the stone age...of course today those go for thousands of dollars. 4 digits and up. Back then in 2 digits. Or they were even tossing them into dumpsters.

Anyway...cel shaded computer animation sounds good and I hope this person keeps trying it.

This discussion has been closed.