Learning about backgrounds

jathatch_2238341jathatch_2238341 Posts: 0
edited April 2013 in New Users

Hello, I have a quick question about backgrounds--where may I find some useful, generic outdoor backdrops and where are they stored in the DAZ folders? Do I need to use Bryce or can I just use a jpeg?

Thanks!

Post edited by jathatch_2238341 on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

jathatch said:
    Hello, I have a quick question about backgrounds--where may I find some useful, generic outdoor backdrops and where are they stored in the DAZ folders? Do I need to use Bryce or can I just use a jpeg?

Thanks!

I assume you mean in DAZ Studio? You can just use a jpeg, and wherever you store it, you should be able to browse to it (Edit>Backdrop...). You can certainly use one you rendered in Bryce or another 3D program, but you can also use a photo or something else. You can also buy backdrops in the store (there are some packs of backdrops, and certain lighting products contain matching backdrops).

Aside from backdrop images, you can also use something like a skydome to provide a sky and perhaps other background details. Either way works...depends on personal preference and/or what you want to accomplish.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is kind of a open ended question. We have many ways to add BG's to our Renders. As Scott said it all depends on what you wish to do. Could we have a example of what you would like to do in your on words? That would help us help you better.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Guys, I have a question relating to that. What size should a jpeg be if you are using one for a backdrop? (A minimum size- I would think it depends on whether you are doing a closeup portrait vs a scene, etc) And do you need 300 dpi or what?

Take a look at the cycloramas- there are many scenarios for those. I used Heart Of The Jungle for my first render background, it had waterfalls and tropical plants, not your "typical" outdoors. But the cycloramas have walls, southwestern, etc. A nice variety.

edited December 1969

The best way to (to me) to use a Image as a Back Ground is to load it into any 2D art program and check it's size. Then in DS set your Render size to the same. That way the pixel's are the proper size at render time. So small jpg's are not the best to use.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2013

I was kinda thinking along those lines- all my jpgs are large in size when I create them so I have more options- so I'll probably see what render dimensions look good then crop whatever I need to fit it. Thanks Jaderail! :)

Next question- is it required, or just best, to use a jpg? Instead of a png or gif? (Does it have something to do with channels, which I am not familiar with, I think in Photoshop CS's? (We have the latest CS version but learning DAZ first before doing postwork.)

I sure hope I'm not boring anyone with all these questions that everyone else already knows! (or it feels that way at times.)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/831/#7468 answers that.

Post edited by Novica on
  • jathatch_2238341jathatch_2238341 Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Yes, that was a vey open ended question...I am using DAZ studio and so far just use edit--> backdrop. I would like to get started on skydomes--how do you load one into a scene and add a texture to it?

Thanks!

Post edited by jathatch_2238341 on
    edited December 1969

Okay, you can use any Image format as a BG. The Render type you use can cause the BG to be a Alpha channel, the png and tiff save as options will save the BG as a transparent Alpha channel. The Jpg format for a DS render save will not have the Alpha channel. Some, not all, 2D Art programs will let you MERGE the alpha channel as a RGB (color) layer. So it's not what type of File you load as the BG but the file type you save as when you render that you need to understand.

As for Skydomes, many sets come with them and load a texture by default. The Andoria City set in the Daz3D store is a great example.

edited December 1969

Thanks! I've almost got it down, but how do you actually load the skydome into a scene? Ridht now, when I select a preset dome I get the message "This action requires an item in the scene to be selected." What "item" am I missing?

• larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 94
    edited April 2013

And continuing along those lines, I saw a program called Sky Dome Pro 2. It looks like an interesting program, BUT the demo is on DAZ 2.3. Using an old DAZ makes me kinda suspicious. I have two almost completed images but I need a background and would prefer a sky dome.

Any suggestions??

Post edited by larrygilman on
    edited December 1969

Light Dome Pro 2 will not work in DS4 or DS4.5, I have it, but this one does. http://www.daz3d.com/light-dome-le-for-d-s

edited December 1969

Ok, so I start with a fresh scene, nothing loaded. I wish to load a SkyDome. I try to load one from my content folder and I get the message “This action requires an item in the scene to be selected.” What step am I missing?

edited December 1969

Your trying to load the Texture, you must load the Prop or Figure first (Read the readme) and select it to apply the texture.

edited December 1969

Yes, that makes sense. Funny thing is, I can't find whatever prop or fugure the texture is supposed to go onto. I guess what I'm asking is, there a way to load some generic geometric dome shape and add a texture to it?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Ok, that was a stupid question; I just made a big sphere and pasted a texture on it. I've seen some panoramic skies for sale for like 30 bucks (yikes!). Is Cloud 9 worth getting for quick outdoor renders?

edited December 1969

I use Cloud Nine in about 80% of all my renders. It is my DS4.5 go to set.

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

Try this: go to Google Images, (not standard Google) in the search field type what you are looking for: 'clouds', 'sky', 'fantasy', whatever...
    Optionally you can define the image format. Or go to deviantART and search in the section 'stock images'. (don't forget to credit the publisher then.)