The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

phew!
    ..just got done saving out 252 entries...will try and get some time tomorrow to upload everything to a new thread where we can start voting..sorry for the delays

oh my awhole lot of images entered!!! very cool

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

phew!
    ..just got done saving out 252 entries...will try and get some time tomorrow to upload everything to a new thread where we can start voting..sorry for the delays

Thanks for the update. Take your time. That's a lot to deal with.

• WildscarWildscar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

phew!

That's a lot. Good luck to everyone.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

I am really excited to see the official voting thread with all official images alone! There were so many great entries and even great non-entries!

Good luck everyone and thanks to all for their inspirations. So many of the entries were just amazing to me!

edited December 1969

This is totally unrelated to the contest, but I just wanted to share this fun news:

So a render I made this week using Stonemason's Dark Places Back Alley called Predator Vs. The Zombie Apocalypse is getting a ton of traffic on FB. Someone had reposted my image (fortunately giving me credit) on Stan Winston's School of Character Arts official page. 1300 likes and climbing! https://www.facebook.com/StanWinstonSchool

This is the biggest exposure I have gotten with any of the art, music or video editing I have done so I am super happy and grateful! Thank you to Stonemason once again for his amazing work. This new picture wouldn't have even been possible with out his amazing 3D architecture.

Thanks.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    This is totally unrelated to the contest, but I just wanted to share this fun news:

So a render I made this week using Stonemason's Dark Places Back Alley called Predator Vs. The Zombie Apocalypse is getting a ton of traffic on FB. Someone had reposted my image (fortunately giving me credit) on Stan Winston's School of Character Arts official page. 1300 likes and climbing! https://www.facebook.com/StanWinstonSchool

This is the biggest exposure I have gotten with any of the art, music or video editing I have done so I am super happy and grateful! Thank you to Stonemason once again for his amazing work. This new picture wouldn't have even been possible with out his amazing 3D architecture.

Thanks.

just gave the 1308 like ;)

edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

Thank you so much Isikol!

edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

that's awesome man. Gratz. I as well just gave 1538. so its still growing.

edited December 1969

Wildscar said:
    Isikol said:
    Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

Thanks man! I just checked today and it jumped up to 1700! I wish they had shared my original deviantart posting though because it cites all the credits for things used such as Stonemason, Swidhelm and Smay.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...I'd check it myself but FB is blocked on my system. Do you have a DA account?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I'd check it myself but FB is blocked on my system. Do you have a DA account?

Yes it is in my signature but you can search for geminii23.deviantart.com

edited December 1969

...thanks for the link. Excellent.

Also love the Easter bunny one.

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Wildscar said:
    Isikol said:
    Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

Thanks man! I just checked today and it jumped up to 1700! I wish they had shared my original deviantart posting though because it cites all the credits for things used such as Stonemason, Swidhelm and Smay.

yeah I hate Facebook for that reason. I have tried to just post links to my images on Facebook and noted they don't get as many likes if I post them right to Facebook. and that sucks cause Facebook resizes them not making them look as good.

Gratz again on the recognition.

• J GugliuzzaJ Gugliuzza Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Hey Geminii23, I just checked it out, awesome, way to go!!

edited December 1969

Hey Geminii23, I just checked it out, awesome, way to go!!

Thank you!

• BnomSandyBnomSandy Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

As a huge fan of both the Predator franchise and zombie movies, I am totally digging this. Very Cool.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

hey guys..so sorry this is taking so long,. .I've been trying to find an easy way to get these images in a place we can all easily vote on.. apparently the forum software wont handle so many images as part of a poll. which means I'll need to manually upload each image.. which is going to take some time. anyone who has uploaded more than one image to these forums will know what I'm up against

if anyone knows of some simple html code for image voting I could put it up on my site, or even another site I could upload them to that already has a voting function,? otherwise I'll put Sunday night aside and upload everything manually

or alternatively we could just vote on the images as they are.?

thanks
    Stefan

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited April 2013

Well you could put the images on another site with an 'ID' number so they would be easy for people to view and sort through, then have the voting/poll here, although DAZ has been killing any polls and I'm not sure their polling feature would even accomodate such a large number of items.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

How about a list of the links to the specific post pages?

Then if someone wants to vote, they have to quote the line of that link?

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I think I have already evaluated the entries and know which ones to vote for.

The question I have is: do we vote for just one or do we vote for the top 5, or 6, or what, with the order of winners determined by the total number of votes?

And who can vote, only those who submitted entries or the community members at large?

And If you, Stefan, have made your picks, are those winners still eligible for the community portion of the contest?

No matter what, any voting thread should be restricted to votes...no comments, no extraneous talk, no extra images...just votes.

• gero_1478aba0a9gero_1478aba0a9 Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Googled "polling website" and got a bunch of links for different types of online polls available.

This free one seems to allow you to build the poll mechanic here:

http://pollcode.com/

Googled "gallery website" for gallery code.:

http://galleryproject.org/

You'd just want something that allows you to upload all the pics in one go without any fuss. I guess they'd have an option for basic numbering.

Cheers

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Coppermine gallery web image system has a plugin for voting. I don't know anything about it though

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=62496.0

edited April 2013

Hi Stefan,

I am not sure if you use Wordpress for your website, but there is a plugin called Simple Photo Contest that might work for you.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/simple-photos-contest/

I use Wordpress and am definitely willing to help out. I could also set up a temp word press site that you could administrate for the contest if that will help as well.

Post edited by Geminii23 on
    edited December 1969

...but is it compatible with Magento and Daz Forums?

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Here is a possible idea?.? Since you have such an amazing turnout in your contest, maybe you could consider throwing more prizes into the mix. And, if you would use a pre-judging method to separate the entries into three distinct voting categories (similar to how Daz previews images that it allows to be posted on the facebook page), you could create the 'quality entry' category which would be eligible for the prizes already mentioned for the community vote. Then you could split the remaining images into the beginner group and the intermediate group, providing additional prizes at these levels. In this way those of us who believe we had no chance of winning actually get a chance to walk away with a prize.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...but is it compatible with Magento and Daz Forums?

Well, no. But I believe that that is the main issue that Stefan is having is the limitations on the DAZ forums. So this would be a seperate Wordpress site that we could setup and then we would need to register the 252 people via emails to do the voting.

This suggestion was only an alternative to Stefan having to do this on his own website on the chance that he doesn't use Wordpress.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Actually, quite a few less than 252 since that was the number of entries and most people entered twice.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    Actually, quite a few less than 252 since that was the number of entries and most people entered twice.

Good point. Although I only entered once as when I was half done with my second render I took a look at some of the other entries and decided it would be a wasted effort..

The prizes are just too good, they drew everyone out of the woodwork..

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

I think we are a close enough community that whatever is easiest for you and quickest at this point.
    If you want to leave it as is and start the voting. I think we can pull that off. :)
    If it's just too much or too difficult you could just choose all the winners yourself.
    I'm easy. :)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

I don't want to sound negative, but one thing does concern me.

Moving the voting off the "neutral" forum site makes the chance for abuse increase.

If things get out of hand, then this will turn to an even bigger logistical nightmare.