Is it possible....

edited December 1969 in New Users

I was wondering if it's possible to take dynamic clothing from poser and convert it into dynamic clothing that can be used in Daz Studio.

I haven't gotten into dynamic cloth because the choices seem pretty limited for Studio. But I would love to take some of my conforming clothing, convert it to dynamic cloth in poser, and then somehow get it back into Studio. It's the getting it back into Studio I'm not too sure about. I've found a tutorial on converting conforming clothing to dynamic clothing in Poser, though.

Since today's the last day of the Poser sale, I figured it was definitely time to ask the question.

Also, if this is whole dynamic conversion thing is possible, would I get Poser 9 or Poser 2012?

Thanks!

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2013

So-called dynamic cloth works in Poser because it has the cloth room for draping. Unfortunately there's no such function in Daz Studio, so it wouldn't convert at all. The only dynamic clothing available in Daz Studio is created by Optifex via their own plugin. They have some free downloadable dynamic clothes on their site as well as paid for ones, but without their paid-for plugin, you'll have no real control over how the drape functions beyond very simple manipulations.

It's one of the reasons I still have Poser. I usually run the drape in Poser and export it as an OBJ file for re-importing to Daz Studio. Not ideal, perhaps, but it works well enough for my purposes.

As far as I'm aware there is no way for the end user to create their own dynamic clothing, even with the Optitex plugin.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • edited December 1969

What version of poser do you have?

If needed, I would buy the plugin from Optifex. It sounds like what you're saying is that there is no way to convert the poser dynamic cloth to Optitex dynamic cloth. Is that right?

If I draped the piece of cloth in poser, then exported it into Studio as an obj., would it act as a conforming piece of clothing would? This is the part I'm a bit fuzzy on.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No, it would be a single POSE object only. Your figure would need to be in the Drape pose so it matched the Poser Drape.

The Full Dynamic plugin for DS only works for the Draping of Opti meshes. The engine is not avaliable to us DS users.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

sikeus said:

If I draped the piece of cloth in poser, then exported it into Studio as an obj., would it act as a conforming piece of clothing would? This is the part I'm a bit fuzzy on.

I use that method quite often.
    The exported OBJ is a static prop. The Figure in DS has to have the same pose and shape as the one that was used in Poser. If you making any changes, the process has to be repeated.

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    No, it would be a single POSE object only. Your figure would need to be in the Drape pose so it matched the Poser Drape.

The Full Dynamic plugin for DS only works for the Draping of Opti meshes. The engine is not avaliable to us DS users.

When you say the engine isn't available, does that mean the plugin, or the process of making the dynamic cloth?

Thanks.

• edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    sikeus said:

I use that method quite often.
    The exported OBJ is a static prop. The Figure in DS has to have the same pose and shape as the one that was used in Poser. If you making any changes, the process has to be repeated.

This is good to know. I use Genesis exclusively, so it may be a bit of work to go through the process. But if it drapes and fold once I've converted the conforming piece of clothing to dynamic, it could be worth it.

Do I need Poser 2012 for it, or will Poser 9 work just as well? I have Poser Debut, but I'm guessing it doesn't have the cloth room.

Thanks everyone for your help!

edited March 2013

sikeus said:
    Jaderail said:

When you say the engine isn't available, does that mean the plugin, or the process of making the dynamic cloth?

Thanks.The Process of making them. Let me re-state that, it is available but costs $12,000 plus US to get it.

The Full Dynamic Plugin is in the Daz3D store.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    sikeus said:
    Jaderail said:

Thanks.

The Process of making them. Let me re-state that, it is available but costs $12,000 plus US to get it.

The Full Dynamic Plugin is in the Daz3D store.

My eyes bugged out when I saw the price. Wow!

edited December 1969

It is owned my the Optitex company. We get our Dynamic items for DS from a employee for them who is allowed to sale the Items to Daz3D to support the Dynamic Plugin they sell here at Daz3D.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

sikeus said:
    Jaderail said:
    Let me re-state that, it is available but costs $12,000 plus US to get it.

My eyes bugged out when I saw the price. Wow!
    Remember, that program is used by real clothes companies to make real clothes you can buy in a shop and put onto your actual body. That sort of price is not unusual.

Makes it a bit more difficult to shrink the figure down a few percent for a better-fitting starting drape, though... ;-)

• edited December 1969

Thanks all for the replies. I am now a proud owner of Poser 9. (I have to admit Poser 2012 was tempting - running it as a 64-bit program would probably help with DSON, but I couldn't justify the extra money after all I spent on March Madness. :) )