Materials on Polygon selections

chadmccomaschadmccomas Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

When I go to the modeling room; is there a way to select part of a model's polygons and apply a specific material to those rather than the entire model?

Thanks!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yes. With the polys selected look down at the bottom of the MODEL TAB, click the button under SHADING DOMAIN and create a new shading domain.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-28_at_2.40_.42_PM_.png
    246 x 332 - 32K
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

It's funny,I never use that tab for doing that ,I've always used the Global tab for some reason? But it has always confused me a bit when I do it .... Your way looks easier Holly, ta for the tip, that is now my new way! ( but you do not seem to be able to delete from that tab but you can in the global tab..........perhaps I am missing something....

edited December 1969

It's funny,I never use that tab for doing that ,I've always used the Global tab for some reason? But it has always confused me a bit when I do it .... Your way looks easier Holly, ta for the tip, that is now my new way! ( but you do not seem to be able to delete from that tab but you can in the global tab..........perhaps I am missing something....

I've never looked under the GLOBAL TAB.... LOL! :red:
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I've always used the global tab myself. Whatever works!

• chadmccomaschadmccomas Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

So what is a shading domain?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited March 2013

So what is a shading domain?

It's specific polygons that have been selected and given a name. It's a very good way to control what is being shaded or textured. It can also be exported (OBJ for instance) with shading domains intact.

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • chadmccomaschadmccomas Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

So say I model a car wheel and create a shading domain for each explicit part. The shading domains would be like a hierarchy of parts? For instance; Rim, Tire, lug nuts, valve, etc?

edited December 1969

So say I model a car wheel and create a shading domain for each explicit part. The shading domains would be like a hierarchy of parts? For instance; Rim, Tire, lug nuts, valve, etc?

Yes, although that could ALSO be done with separate models which have been grouped, especially if you want moving parts....

A shading domain defines different polygons of a single model. For instance, if you have used the DAZ figures their heads have a different shading domain from the bodies, limbs, etc. This allows larger "overlapping" UV maps.

For your car example, you might have each wheel as a separate mesh, with the tire, hubcap, valve, even the sidewalls each as a separate shader domain. Making it easier to apply chrome to the hubcap, rubber to the tire, etc....

Once a model has multiple shader domains, you will see a list of the domains in the shader room (or in the Assembly room under the SHADING tab.... Each represented with their own shader ball. There will also be a big multi-shader ball that saves all the shaders together.

If you drop a mesh into the model room, then add some shader domains as described above, then go to the shader room to check, it will probably make more sense.... Sorry I am at work and can't open Carrara to screen grab...