The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone, I'm very glad you like it!

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Happy Monday!

Any word on the new thread for the community voting?

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I couldn't enter this because it was an older pic, but I recently just redid it using Photoshop's Art History brush and it uses a Stonemason prop, so yeah. Can't see much of the painterly detail here, if you're interested, there's a larger version here

Good luck to everyone who entered!

(btw isikol, I added the shadow). :)

Wonderful render Snow!! I took a peek at the painterly version on DA, and it just amazing.

I've been using PS off and on since version 5 and I've never played with the Art History Brush. I think I'm going to have to change that. ;-)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

looking forward to the clean thread with all the entries

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...just added another Zloty (which at current exchange rates is 31¢)

I feel I'm doing good if I get 150 views (which would only be 1.5¢).

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

hell, I'm happy when i get 10-20 lol.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Thanks Miss B. :) I listed some of my settings for the Art History Brush in the description of that pic on deviantArt, but overall the keys are to have a very large image and to use a tablet. I hope you're able to get some interesting results!

Sorry to hijack the thread, it wasn't my intention. Hopefully we will get a thread with all the entries soon.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

hell, I'm happy when i get 10-20 lol.

I must have my sights set too low...I have been happy to get 1 view and/or 1 comment! LOL

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Thanks Miss B. :) I listed some of my settings for the Art History Brush in the description of that pic on deviantArt, but overall the keys are to have a very large image and to use a tablet. I hope you're able to get some interesting results!

Oh, I'll go back and take a look for those, and yes I use a tablet. Thank you! ;-)
  • Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Is the voting thread up?

edited December 1969

i've not seen it

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Poor Stonemason, he's probably running around in tiny circles asking himself if it is actually a submission or not. :)

edited December 1969

It seemed odd to me that any non-entries were allowed in a contest thread. I imagine that would take some time to sort out.

No hurry, just thought I might have missed it. I'm still trying to figure this forum out. All my subscribed thread links in my control panel 404. I'm having to search through pages of stuff to find anything.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I'm not actually going to vote. I don't like to judge. Many of the pieces are wonderful and prizeworthy and with everyone having different skill levels, its impossible to really judge something like this. But good luck to everyone who entered. =-)

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I understand the voting thread will be up soon!

edited December 1969

I kind of assumed that entrants could not vote and had not planned on voting? I just want to browse through all the images in a thread without the clutter.

I'm really interested in which Stonemason picks. His job will not be easy. Some really nice renders were posted.

I got turned off to member voting when I saw a mess involving one many years ago on another forum. People had gangs of people set up to vote for them and it got really strange. There was no prize and yet people rounded up their families and friends to join and vote. Drama always makes me move on.

I can see people really like Stonemasons products and I agree. What few I have are used often. I'd be thrilled to end up with one.

I get, if I'm lucky, a few hours a week to mess around with my hobby and I'd never think I could compete with folks who spend a lot of time at this. I'm pretty advanced in Vue Infinite however and plan on spending the next year on about two hundred hours of ZBrush instruction I've bought. I'm also fairly proficient with Silo and somewhat with Lightwave. I think I'm going to skip Poser from now on and use Studio, so I thought I'd better get acquainted with the community here.

This place reminds me of ZBrush Central. Lot's of helpful folks, helping each other.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

SOON..
    bwahahaha

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

I kind of assumed that entrants could not vote and had not planned on voting? I just want to browse through all the images in a thread without the clutter.

I'm really interested in which Stonemason picks. His job will not be easy. Some really nice renders were posted.

I got turned off to member voting when I saw a mess involving one many years ago on another forum. People had gangs of people set up to vote for them and it got really strange. There was no prize and yet people rounded up their families and friends to join and vote. Drama always makes me move on.

I can see people really like Stonemasons products and I agree. What few I have are used often. I'd be thrilled to end up with one.

I get, if I'm lucky, a few hours a week to mess around with my hobby and I'd never think I could compete with folks who spend a lot of time at this. I'm pretty advanced in Vue Infinite however and plan on spending the next year on about two hundred hours of ZBrush instruction I've bought. I'm also fairly proficient with Silo and somewhat with Lightwave. I think I'm going to skip Poser from now on and use Studio, so I thought I'd better get acquainted with the community here.

This place reminds me of ZBrush Central. Lot's of helpful folks, helping each other.

Yeah, I see this with polls on my publisher's message boards; a cadre of trolls that call themselves fans but do nothing but try to tear the company down constantly skew things in their favor to feed their delusion that they are the majority. They have wife-beater syndrome, and generally just serve to run off the real fans.

That said, I can easily cast a vote for someone else's image and would expect anyone else to do the same. If they don't and vote for themselves, well I'll never know where they cast their vote so it doesn't affect me to walk on the sunny side of the street.

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

If I can vote, I do plan to. But, I doubt I'll vote for myself even if I can. There's too many more-impressive entries in this contest for that. :)

edited December 1969

Well, I think the only fair thing for this contest is that only those that submitted entries should be allowed to vote in the community picks. This helps new users who might not have a big circle of friends in the community stand a chance for their art to speak for itself. I also think that contestants should not be allowed to vote for themselves. This will also keep things from being all stalemate divided with everyone getting a #1 vote for themselves.

Now the question I have is what happens when Stonemason's winner is also the community winner? And, yes I am looking at you Isikol ;-)

Considering that the grand prize is the entire Stonemason catalog, getting the addition of the community vote would seem to be overkill for that winner.

Thoughts?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I honestly am less interested in the voting, than in the random winners. Is that still going on?

edited December 1969

I have no hope of winning anything, i have never placed in a Stonemason contest and probably never will, but i enter anyway, its a lot of fun and i like seeing what everyone else does

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Well, I think the only fair thing for this contest is that only those that submitted entries should be allowed to vote in the community picks. This helps new users who might not have a big circle of friends in the community stand a chance for their art to speak for itself. I also think that contestants should not be allowed to vote for themselves. This will also keep things from being all stalemate divided with everyone getting a #1 vote for themselves.

Now the question I have is what happens when Stonemason's winner is also the community winner? And, yes I am looking at you Isikol ;-)

Considering that the grand prize is the entire Stonemason catalog, getting the addition of the community vote would seem to be overkill for that winner.

Thoughts?

That sounds like something that might work without drama, but I tend to look at things from a marketing perspective and that won't get more people to look at the products which is the real endgame here. Perhaps he will post that thread and announce his picks at the same time?

I'm also curious about the two prize issue. I'd imagine Stonemason has already thought that through. I'm sure he will let us all know those things when he gets time. This is a large thread for him to have to go through.

edited December 1969

I have no hope of winning anything, i have never placed in a Stonemason contest and probably never will, but i enter anyway, its a lot of fun and i like seeing what everyone else does

Fun is the key word. I don't think I've won anything in many years, but I try now and then. The fun is in the doing for sure.

I like entering from time to time because it forces me to follow through and finish.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I see this with polls on my publisher's message boards.....

That said, I can easily cast a vote for someone else's image and would expect anyone else to do the same. If they don't and vote for themselves, well I'll never know where they cast their vote so it doesn't affect me to walk on the sunny side of the street.

:) I've been moderating on a board for a few months now and not much surprises me anymore. It's pretty tame here though. It's nice that art seems to be exempt from the venom other topics spawn. It even crosses age lines. Old farts and young folk can find common ground, which is nice.

To be honest I already know which image I'd vote for and it's not mine.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

Thoughts?

... there are a lot of good entries and my guess is that the winner will give one of the 2 prices to the following after etc etc... ;)

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited December 1969

I think the easy way to resolve the community vote is to a) disqualify self-votes (i.e. your votes count only if you vote for anyone other than yourself) and b) allow people to vote for 3 choices (Using a point system of 3 to 1). It's an added bit of accounting, but it does help highlight the ones really deserving to win.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Who wins the main prize/s and the community vote I really don't care about. I won't be judging on the popularity of a said individual but on what is produced, how original the image is and how well it was made and if mine comes anywhere close then I wil include it. :)

edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    I think the easy way to resolve the community vote is to a) disqualify self-votes (i.e. your votes count only if you vote for anyone other than yourself) and b) allow people to vote for 3 choices (Using a point system of 3 to 1). It's an added bit of accounting, but it does help highlight the ones really deserving to win.

Yes, I would assume that we would all have to vote for three entries for the community vote as well. As to your point system, I am familiar with this type of voting as it is how we handle our yearly family cooking contest. As long as people are not allowed to vote for themselves it can work but the problem is how to enforce that in a simple forum thread.

In doing a quick random test with 10 entries, provided that people try to all vote for themselves and the votes = 3 points, 2 point and 1 point, I ended up with 1 clear winner but with ties for both second and third place.

I am sure Stonemason is working on a good strategy though.