Need some Kit-Bash advice

I have a kitchen set that has various props in it that are "married" to the set itself. What is the best way to isolate a prop to use it in a different environment? I tried saving it as a scene subset and a character but no dice. Or maybe I was going about it wrong.

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Which set is it?

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Sometimes you can unparent it and then save it as a scene subset.
    You have to unparent it so that it will show up in the checkboxes to save
    it without the rest of the scene.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

It was a set I bought at Rendo. I'll try the unparenting thing. I hadn't tried that. Thanks for the tip!

DDCreate said:

It was a set I bought at Rendo. I'll try the unparenting thing. I hadn't tried that. Thanks for the tip!

A labor-intensive way to save any part of a scene is to view it in Wire Shaded mode (The little ball thingy next to the view control box) and use Geometry Editor to remove everything that isn't part of what you want to save.

Sort of like the "easy" method of carving an elephant out of marble:
    Step 1: Buy a large block of marble
    Step 2: Remove everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Okay, that's a good tip too. I'll try the first way though..but good to have a back up.

I never heard that before, thanks. That's pretty funny. I'll have to try and find a way to use that :P

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Petercat said:

A labor-intensive way to save any part of a scene is to view it in Wire Shaded mode (The little ball thingy next to the view control box) and use Geometry Editor to remove everything that isn't part of what you want to save.

Nice! I never knew about the geometry editor. This is going to make kit bashing so much easier. Thanks.

Wrecker2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Kitsumo said:
    Petercat said:

Nice! I never knew about the geometry editor. This is going to make kit bashing so much easier. Thanks.

Once you've chosen the geometry editor tool, right click anywhere in the viewport to get the menu.
    In "selection mode", marquee selection will let you delete huge rectangles of stuff, and everything behind them.
    Lasso Select will let you lasso huge chunks, and everything behind them.
    Drag selection will let you choose individual polygons.

Once you've selected what you want, click "Geometry visibility", then "Hide Selected Polygon(s)"
    Then go to "Geometry Editing" and select "Delete Hidden Polygons"

Deletion is irreversible, so delete in small-ish bites and save often.
    SAVE....OFTEN!

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited September 2017

Hi,

good idea to work with Geometry Editor but why so complicated this method is indeed like carving an elephant out of marble.

Sselection mode - marquee selection - I never use this horrible marquee selection mode it is also buggy because it selects evereything behind see these threads Polygon selections and Why selection tool and weight brush thorough out opositte side?.

I would suggest 1. Select what you want to keep with Select Connected 2. invert selection 3. hide selection & delete hidden

I would keep the selection type "Polygon Selection" and left-click just some polygons of each seperated object - you can hold down Ctrl and leftClick or leftDrag to add more polygons of other objects to the selection. I dont know how to unselect but you can undo last step with default Ctrl+Z if you accidently select more than you want.

Once you have at least one polygon of all the objects you want to seperate from the rest selected - rightClick the Viewport and select "Geometry Selection > Select Connected" and tada all connected geometry objects are selected.

If you now see something that shouldnt be selected because the "Select Connected" works like a flood fill dont worry you dont have to start over again - instead save a selection set found at the bottom of the geometry editor listing then right-click on it "Create Selection Set From Selected".

Selection Sets are great to work with because you can add and remove selections later with right click on the label and select "Asign / Remove selected form set".

Once done with selectin every object you want to keep "invert selection" also found in this right-click menu under Geometry Selection and continue like Petercat descriped - hide selected & delete hidden.

The props without the kitchen table are overing in mid air now but you can use the "Move to Floor" Ctrl+D.

I would then also move them to the scene center and export them as OBJ-File and import them again. If you still have problems with the rotation/scaling center after that you should take a look at the joint editor to adjust the so called pivot point in joint editor it is acualy called the center point (even if it is used for rigging bones also).

You can save the seperated objects as a scene subset to your library to load them in other scenes.

I hope that helps.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on