Lighting presets for artists and dummies

magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I finally found some spare time to tune up some of my outdoor lighting. Yet to be fully tested, any suggestions or enhancements are welcome. I hope they are useful to those who bought recently Carrara, coming from DS, Poser and Bryce world. ciao

http://www.adrive.com/public/qtGBBK/LIGHTING FOR ARTISTS.zip

Comments

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

thanx for files will check them out

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Nice looking sunlight! I'll have to check it out. I'm planning on giving your Interior Lighting package a whirl over the next few days. I bought it a while ago but haven't used it yet. Here's the link if anyone's curious:

http://www.daz3d.com/lighting-preset-for-interior-visualization

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

How very cool!
    Lighting is very powerful in Carrara - as in any visual render app.
    Any help to those new to the art is a big boon, and all of us, who have been at it forever, still enjoy picking up new tips, techniques and ideas. Thanks a bunch, magaremoto!
    Ciao!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Added link to this thread to the Carrara Information Manual under Forum Help Links in the Lighting section.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

thanks margaremoto, very kind, am looking forward to looking through this!!

in addition I'd highly recommend this book by Gurney http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719

not just for painters - it will explain why shadows on a flat surface such as the ground have a blue tinge on sunny days and why things like eaves have a brown or green tinge in their shadows - it'as all about reflected light of course and the mimicking of reality

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2013

thank you all,
    Kevin I'm going to approach a new lighting for interiors set ASAP, but as you know good shaders make the difference and actually I don't have a good scene to work on and try out hyper realism. I think carrara can render as lux does, as pointed out by DB in another thread, but the good and the bad in Carrara is being essentially a tool for artists and you have to work hard on lights and materials for results comparable to unbiased engines.
    There should be an abacus of materials good for all light conditions. I am going to put on the web some materials prepared for my lighting rigs, a portal would be the best solution for anyone who wants to contribute.

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks margaremoto, very kind, am looking forward to looking through this!!

in addition I'd highly recommend this book by Gurney http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719

not just for painters - it will explain why shadows on a flat surface such as the ground have a blue tinge on sunny days and why things like eaves have a brown or green tinge in their shadows - it'as all about reflected light of course and the mimicking of reality

thank you head wax, looks great to understand the basics. well done

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

hey, I bought it last year and gave it a cursory glance - and put it back on the shelf because I am not a realist painter - but recently I have been tramsposing my digital illustrations to canvas - well trying to - and it's a great help - because if some parameter of lighting is not there , then I know what it should look like! The guy obviously has a lot of experience with digital work - he seems to be primarily a plein air painter, but he let's slip a few things, like subsurface scattering and occculison shadows which suggest he knows more about 3d than he would like to let on -

thanks again for going to the trouble to get those lighting rigs and documentation happening!