In Install Manager, what does "CF" mean? Do I need CF files?

InkuboInkubo Posts: 734
edited September 2017 in New Users

Many times Install Manager will list multiple install options for the same product. For example:

• CS Snaggletooth Caverns
  • CS Snaggletooth Caverns StudioCF

The StudioCF or just CF part is usually small, but I can't tell any difference in the products whether I install it or not. I though maybe it was an add-on to create Smart Content links for older items, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I'm using DAZ Studio 4.9, are the CF files something I should install, or would it be good to skip them to save space? What do they do for me?

Post edited by Inkubo on

Comments

• CF = Companion Files. PoserCF would usually be the files to go with the DSON Importer for Poser, BryceCF is usually a Bryce scene file into which the product can be added from DS via the bridge, StudioCF is usally DS materials for the Poser format base product.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 734
    edited September 2017

Aha! So it seems I should indeed install the StudioCF ones for use with DAZ Studio 4.9, correct?

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Probably...but the mats are generally older 3DL ones.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 734

Thanks, both of you!

• cherr41083cherr41083 Posts: 8
    edited November 2017

Hmmm.  I have found that every product I have downloaded via DIM with a PoserCF file included ends up with a missing thumbnail in the Smart Content pane.  And the product is then labelled WhateverCF.  By the way, this problem also occurs with Ps files.

Since I only use DAZ 4.10, I stopped downloading the CF and Ps files and the products show up correctly in the Smart Content pane.  ANd they seem to functon properly.

But the posts above would indicate I should download the CF files.  Which would kill the thumbnails.

I'm not a tech savvy person, so if anyone can advise me in simplese, I'd apprecate it!  Thanks

Post edited by cherr41083 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Hmmm.  I have found that every product I have downloaded via DIM with a PoserCF file included ends up with a missing thumbnail in the Smart Content pane.  And the product is then labelled WhateverCF.  By the way, this problem also occurs with Ps files.

Since I only use DAZ 4.10, I stopped downloading the CF and Ps files and the products show up correctly in the Smart Content pane.  ANd they seem to functon properly.

But the posts above would indicate I should download the CF files.  Which would kill the thumbnails.

I'm not a tech savvy person, so if anyone can advise me in simplese, I'd apprecate it!  Thanks

You don't need PoserCF's if you only use DS.  If a product doesn't have a separate DS version, then you need the StudioCF.

• Hmmm.  I have found that every product I have downloaded via DIM with a PoserCF file included ends up with a missing thumbnail in the Smart Content pane.  And the product is then labelled WhateverCF.  By the way, this problem also occurs with Ps files.

As Mike says, you don't need the PoserCFs for DS. But it may be worth checking that the content directory you install to is listed in the Content Library pane under Poser Formats

• Great.  Thanks!

• NavimNavim Posts: 79

I am confused about this. I have both poser and studio. Should PoserCF's go in Poser and StudioCF's go in studio or should they both go into studio? Also I understand legacy

files are to go in studio. Is this correct?

Thanks

Mike

• In order to use PoserCFs in Poser Poser needs access to both the content diectory with the DSON core (DS native) files and the external library with the PoserCFs. In order to use Daz StudioCFs DS needs access both to the Poser Format content directory with the Poser files and the Daz Studio Format content directory with the CFs. There's no reason to put them in separate locations, though you can if you wish (just be aware that the PoserCFs/DSON Importer will be fastest if the DSON core files are in the first Poser content library).