Luxus discussion

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited March 2013

Luci45 said:
    I have a problem and a question. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else and I don't want to go through 54 pages to find out.

Ever since I installed Luxus I have been having a lot of DS crashes when rendering in 3Delight I want to see if it helps to uninstall Luxus but I can't find the uninstaller for it. I have Windows 7. In C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Uninstallers there is a Remove-DS4_Luxus.exe. Is that how I uninstall?

(I posted this in the other Luxus thread as well.)

That will do it. You can also disable any plugin from loading in Studio by going to -> menu, help, about plugins, disable the plugin, restart studio.

Although Luxus and 3Delight are in seperate "rooms" per say and can't talk to each other, so it is very unlikely that Luxus is the problem.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited March 2013

SphericLabs,

I asked this a few pages back, but my post got buried so..

Would it be possible to add an 'auto-convert' option to the menu where you add the Luxus Material settings?

Often the auto-converted settings are *almost* exactly what I want; if I want to perfect them I end up either trying a bunch of different settings and doing test renders, or just doing a render with D?S materials and open up the .lxs file to find the material and see what settings Luxus is converting to.

Post edited by jax_512b7aea09 on
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    SphericLabs,

Would it be possible to add an 'auto-convert' option to the menu where you add the Luxus Material settings?

Often the auto-converted settings are *almost* exactly what I want; if I want to perfect them I end up either trying a bunch of different settings and doing test renders, or just doing a render with D?S materials and open up the .lxs file to find the material and see what settings Luxus is converting to.

That is a good idea.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

OK, so I just got around to trying this a little more, and this thread it like 54 pages...Ugh.

So I started a rndeer, using a single sun sky2, all looks good except the gloves/pants. I've attached a pic. They come out real grainy, So I selected them, and set them to cloth texture, and then they come out white. After making that selectino, do I have to go into the lux material setting and reapply all of the images?

pants.png
    405 x 160 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    SphericLabs,

As an interim solution you can copy the relevant material section in the .lxs file and then paste it into a text editor. Adjust the values and then copy and paste that into the Extra Settings parameter (Do the Material Settings Only options)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited March 2013

3doutlaw said:
    OK, so I just got around to trying this a little more, and this thread it like 54 pages...Ugh.

So I started a rndeer, using a single sun sky2, all looks good except the gloves/pants. I've attached a pic. They come out real grainy, So I selected them, and set them to cloth texture, and then they come out white. After making that selectino, do I have to go into the lux material setting and reapply all of the images?

Its your render settings. Refer to the LuxRender Wiki here - http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings

For doing test renders, feel free to use the Luxball scene that was converted for use in Poser and DS - http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94030#p94030 - and keep your renders to about 500x500 since image size does effect how long it takes to render.

There are no lights included with that scene but you can make your own

SphericLabs, I asked this a few pages back, but my post got buried so.. Would it be possible to add an 'auto-convert' option to the menu where you add the Luxus Material settings? Often the auto-converted settings are *almost* exactly what I want; if I want to perfect them I end up either trying a bunch of different settings and doing test renders, or just doing a render with D?S materials and open up the .lxs file to find the material and see what settings Luxus is converting to.

That is a good idea.

As long as its just an option and not an automatic evertime.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, but the whole image looks great except for the pants and gloves. (i.e.skin, hair, shirt, weapons, etc) Wouldn't render settings affect the whole enchilada? I've used Luxrender with Reality and Pose2Lux so I am pretty good with it. Not sure how a change of render settings in Luxrender changes one or 2 materials in the scene? Then again, I am no expert, so I am willing to learn! I'll poke around in it.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Could somebody please post a link to the turn-a-cube-into-a-light directions? My google-fu's failing me. :red: Thanks!

screenshot.21-03-2013_21_.53_.19_.jpg
    450 x 289 - 73K
    edited March 2013

Could somebody please post a link to the turn-a-cube-into-a-light directions? My google-fu's failing me. :red: Thanks!

The Area Light options are on the Material. So create your cube, select the cube's surface and do "Luxus - LuxRender Material", I would choose null as the material type and make sure the Light Parameters checkbox is marked. You then have to enable the light in the luxrender parameters. You can see just the LuxRender material parameters by typing lux into the Surface Pane search field.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

The Area Light options are on the Material. So create your cube, select the cube's surface and do "Luxus - LuxRender Material", I would choose null as the material type and make sure the Light Parameters checkbox is marked. You then have to enable the light in the luxrender parameters. You can see just the LuxRender material parameters by typing lux into the Surface Pane search field.
    That worked -- thanks!
    edited December 1969

Here is a 3delight to Lux comparison render. As you can see all materials are getting it right, except for the pants? Any other thoughts?

pants.png
    887 x 336 - 391K
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Here is a 3delight to Lux comparison render. As you can see all materials are getting it right, except for the pants? Any other thoughts?

What does it look like if you convert it to a matte material?
    -> select the surfaces
    -> choose Luxus -> LuxRender Material
    -> choose matte as the type
    -> click the Copy Studio Parameters

edited December 1969

wow..."copy studio parameters"?!? I have been missing that checkbox all night. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    3doutlaw said:

Its your render settings. Refer to the LuxRender Wiki here - http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings

For doing test renders, feel free to use the Luxball scene that was converted for use in Poser and DS - http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94030#p94030 - and keep your renders to about 500x500 since image size does effect how long it takes to render.

There are no lights included with that scene but you can make your own

I merged the two LuxBall scenes and thus got some great lights with the better LuxBall. Worked very well!

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

A friendly bump, great thread.

• Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995
    edited December 1969

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I've submitted the Luxus training. It is in testing. It's out of my hands for a while now so when I know more you will. :)

~Bluebird

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I've submitted the Luxus training. It is in testing. It's out of my hands for a while now so when I know more you will. :)

~Bluebird

Yay !! :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

Hi Everyone!

~Bluebird

I don't know if you've already mentioned this, but are you permitted to give us a sneak peak on what's covered? Is the training in the form of videos, PDFs, or some other format? Step-by-step instructions? How long?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok playing around with the mesh lights and other things. This was an experiment, the scene is inside a Cylinder (12 sides 2.5m tall, by 10m in diameter) surface glossy white (192,192,192) hom0geneous volume, absorbtion color 20,20,20 scatter color 128,128,128) I left the scale for both at 1

got some nice volumetric shadowing going on here..

discovery.jpg
    500 x 500 - 10K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Now that is cool Rareth, thanks for sharing these tests.

edited March 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    Hi Everyone!

~Bluebird

I don't know if you've already mentioned this, but are you permitted to give us a sneak peak on what's covered? Is the training in the form of videos, PDFs, or some other format? Step-by-step instructions? How long?

Oh sure!

It is a video training series that goes step by step through the process I use to get my stuff over to LuxRender via the Luxus plugin.

I am a straight forward thinker so there isn't technical jargon and a bunch of theory. This is exactly how I do it from A to B. I started the series with how I create my own lighting rigs in Studio and then what I do to prepare my scene for render via the Luxus plugin. I cover how to apply Luxus materials and lights and explain why I start with Studio first.

I tried to keep this as basic and up front as possible because I don't enjoy getting confused when I am given too much information about a technical side when all I -really- want to do is make a nice render. The technical minded and deeper "how exactly does that math calculate" kind of thinkers will be better off diving into the dev side of things over at the LuxRender wiki.

This is a video series geared towards creative minded, visual learners.

Right now the series is 2 hours and 5 minutes in length but it is subject to editing.

~Bluebird

Post edited by Bluebird 3D on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2013

Nice :)

Here's something from a while ago I thought some people might be interested in.

This has a couple things in it I was wondering about. A: do normal maps work in Lux yet? B: desaturating a normal map doesn't give the best bump map afaik, but mebbe I'm mistaken?

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Now that is cool Rareth, thanks for sharing these tests.

Heh it was one of those "I wonder what it would do if I..." moments, wasn't sure I'd get a black screen or not.

edited December 1969

Well it worked out great. How long did you let that render for? I just love the feel of it...I so can't wait to do some serious testing later in the year. But I sure can test that out later. Very cool indeed.

I had a skydome in at first set to Cast no shadows, to give some reflections, in Daz Studio and wondered why I wasn't getting any light. Took me all of 5 seconds to figure out why. I think my favourite lighting for outdoor so far is HDRI and Sun when I have reflective mats. But mesh lights aren't new to me but granted they work a little different in Lux but it doesn't take long to see and understand the differences. Yes I am going to love playing with Lux thanks to Luxus. ;)

Again thanks for sharing all these it gets my head reeling with what can be done.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

...I tried to keep this as basic and up front as possible because I don't enjoy getting confused when I am given too much information about a technical side when all I -really- want to do is make a nice render...
    ~Bluebird

That sound good from my perspective. I don't mind digging into details of something but to get started I need something simple. Diving into the deep end when I'm just getting started shuts my mind down. It's like my brain says "I'm bored, lets go do something fun." Diving into the deep end when I'm already well familiar with something is fine. :)

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ...I tried to keep this as basic and up front as possible because I don't enjoy getting confused when I am given too much information about a technical side when all I -really- want to do is make a nice render...
    ~Bluebird

That sound good from my perspective. I don't mind digging into details of something but to get started I need something simple. Diving into the deep end when I'm just getting started shuts my mind down. It's like my brain says "I'm bored, lets go do something fun." Diving into the deep end when I'm already well familiar with something is fine. :)

YES! I sooo get that. lol!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well it worked out great. How long did you let that render for? I just love the feel of it...I so can't wait to do some serious testing later in the year. But I sure can test that out later. Very cool indeed.

I had a skydome in at first set to Cast no shadows, to give some reflections, in Daz Studio and wondered why I wasn't getting any light. Took me all of 5 seconds to figure out why. I think my favourite lighting for outdoor so far is HDRI and Sun when I have reflective mats. But mesh lights aren't new to me but granted they work a little different in Lux but it doesn't take long to see and understand the differences. Yes I am going to love playing with Lux thanks to Luxus. ;)

Again thanks for sharing all these it gets my head reeling with what can be done.

around 4 hours, 2.6K S/p

edited December 1969

Oh that is not bad at all considering how long it takes to render volumetrics in Daz Studio..

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    I missed something in all the conversations in this thread about texture-material-shader presets. Is it possible to save the settings entered for the Luxus-LuxRender Material via the D|S Surface tab? I saved a scene file, thinking all the added Luxus parameters would be saved as well as the Render Settings but neither was saved. When re-opened the scene, 3Delight was selected as the render Engine and the Luxus Glossy Translucent settings I had applied were nowhere to be found. If I save them individually as Material and/or Shader Preset as well as Render Settings Preset, will that do the trick?

The render settings don't get saved with the file, but all your Material and Light settings do. You can also save out a shader preset or a material preset or light preset and they will work as expected.

Strange...when I select my figure in the scene tab, and the applicable surfaces in the surface tab (after applying all my Luxus settings) and click to Save As Shader preset, I get a message that I need to "select one object with geometry and one surface of that object." I have Aiko5 selected as well as the surfaces.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    I missed something in all the conversations in this thread about texture-material-shader presets. Is it possible to save the settings entered for the Luxus-LuxRender Material via the D|S Surface tab? I saved a scene file, thinking all the added Luxus parameters would be saved as well as the Render Settings but neither was saved. When re-opened the scene, 3Delight was selected as the render Engine and the Luxus Glossy Translucent settings I had applied were nowhere to be found. If I save them individually as Material and/or Shader Preset as well as Render Settings Preset, will that do the trick?

The render settings don't get saved with the file, but all your Material and Light settings do. You can also save out a shader preset or a material preset or light preset and they will work as expected.

Strange...when I select my figure in the scene tab, and the applicable surfaces in the surface tab (after applying all my Luxus settings) and click to Save As Shader preset, I get a message that I need to "select one object with geometry and one surface of that object." I have Aiko5 selected as well as the surfaces.

Shader preset would be you will select one material.

Material preset would be you select the root of Aiko5 in the scene tab and then all the materials in the surfaces tab.

This discussion has been closed.