Is Daz Studio right for me?

I'm a photographic artist that primarily creates photographic image composites using Photoshop CS6. Occassionally I need a human figure in my compositions, but the cost of shooting live models is prohibitive. Can I create a human figure in Daz Studio as needed (pose & lighting) and then import it into my Photoshop composition?  That is, can I convert the 3D image created in Daz Studio to a 2D file format (JPEG?)  that I can use in Photoshop? Thanks.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

yes,  That is really the main use of DS, to create 2d images.

• Chohole said:

yes,  That is really the main use of DS, to create 2d images.

What file formats can DS produce that I can use in Photoshop? JPEG? TIFF? Thanks.

• The default render format is PNG; I think it can do most of the common standard filetypes.

• It's not so much "creating a human figure", as it is setting up a 3D scene with people, hair, clothes, animals, props, scenery, lighting etc., then rendering that into a 2D image as seen through a camera. The main image formats are jpg, tif and png, but note that the jpg option doesn't seem to have really good compression controls; I prefer to save all my renders as tif and worry about compression settings after I've done any postwork.

• It's not so much "creating a human figure", as it is setting up a 3D scene with people, hair, clothes, animals, props, scenery, lighting etc., then rendering that into a 2D image as seen through a camera. The main image formats are jpg, tif and png, but note that the jpg option doesn't seem to have really good compression controls; I prefer to save all my renders as tif and worry about compression settings after I've done any postwork.

My scenes are already created in Photoshop from compositing a variety of photo images -- landscape, natural elements, foreground objects, etc.. I just need to create a human figure, match the lighting, then place it in the scene, usually in the mid to background area of the composition. I do not need much detail since most of the time the figures will be backlit or very highkey in lighting. Is Daz Studio overkill for this use? Is there a simpler program I can use? Thanks.

• I'm a photographic artist that primarily creates photographic image composites using Photoshop CS6. Occassionally I need a human figure in my compositions, but the cost of shooting live models is prohibitive. Can I create a human figure in Daz Studio as needed (pose & lighting) and then import it into my Photoshop composition?  That is, can I convert the 3D image created in Daz Studio to a 2D file format (JPEG?)  that I can use in Photoshop? Thanks.

Have a look at " make human " It's open source.They with Daz studio you may be tempted to buy a bunch of costly things. It's somewhat addictive !
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

Golem, that would be a nakid human... you still need clothing.

patephotographic, You can as well use one of the free Genesis bases that comes with studio - if they are in the background, they will be fine as they are. Getting the clothing, there are a lot of free items, but you have to check for commercial use of the clothing item. Also, keep an eye open for textures, because when you use DS primary render engine Iray, i.e. the "older" items usually have 3Delight textures, which uses the second render engine of DAZ Studio.

You'll probably have to convert and adjust the textures, but usually it's just a problem of too high gloss settings.

My scenes are already created in Photoshop from compositing a variety of photo images -- landscape, natural elements, foreground objects, etc.. I just need to create a human figure, match the lighting, then place it in the scene, usually in the mid to background area of the composition. I do not need much detail since most of the time the figures will be backlit or very highkey in lighting. Is Daz Studio overkill for this use? Is there a simpler program I can use? Thanks.

You can totally do this using Daz Studio.  I think all of the programs that do this type of thing have about the same type of learning curves.  The easiest way to figure out if it will work for you is to try it out with all of the free resources that come with Daz Studio and see how you like.  Iray is actually fairly easy to render with once you know the basic.  And, if you are good at postwork, you can realistically take almost any basic figure render and do what you want with it in post and make it look good.

I'm just now learning a lot of postworking techniques to add to my skill level and I've been rendering isolated figures for Photoshop tutorials for quite some time.  It's very easy to do.  One thing I love about doing using Daz Studio is that I can set up whatever pose I want and I don't have to worry about deleting any backgrounds first before adding it to my project in my 2D software of choice like you would with any stock images.  Just remember to save it in either a .png or .tif and you are good to go.

Good luck!

• Well, it can get costly depending on how detailed the human needs to be and how much control of the shape and face is desired.  Also you will have to dress the human figure and get it some hair.  Whether you can use or want Iray for a more realistic look or you want to use older content and are content with a more fantasy look.  Platinum Club is great to help make it more affordable even if your focus is on Rendering the model only on a transparent background for use in photoshop.  Also if you don't collect and only buy what you need for a picture, it should be cheaper than live models.