what are your top 5 most used/favorite Carrara plugins?

Jonstark said  (Actually that would make a fun thread: what are your top 5 most used/favorite Carrara plugins?)

So, what are your top 5?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'd like to emjoy more the luxus carrara.

havent learned to make a skin shader yet

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited September 2017

1 - VWD   (plugin by Philemo, VWD by Gerald)

2 - Misty's G3 and G8 characters   (Mistara)

3 - ERC  (Fenric)

4 - Baker   (Inagoni)

5 - Instance Randomizer Shader   (SparrowHawke)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

For me Fenric would probably take the top 5 plugins for use....

Shader tweakers
    Tree Duplicate
    Skin Dr
    Visibility
    Unlock

so I'll say my most used fav plugin creators would be

Fenric
    Sparrowhawke
    Inagoni
    Philemo

I've probably forgotten some... cool

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited September 2017

What a great topic!  Genius, I tell you!  laugh

It's actually hard to narrow it to just 5, but here goes:

1 Virtual World Dynamics (VWD)

2 LightX

3 Unlock Figure

4 Tree Duplicate

5 Architools

And for bonus points here's an honorable mention that gets used more than any other plugin:

Change Bone Visibility (I can't say it's *important* enough to make my top 5, because it's strictly a convenience plugin, but man is it handy, and I end up using it on just about every scene)

I love the concept of this thread, as it may reveal hidden gems I never considered before and turn people on to plugins they didn't know were out there.  It's a nice opportunity to see what's out there and maybe get an idea of how to use them.  I bought Enhanced Remote Control (ERC) a long time ago, and I know it's a super powerful tool, but I barely understand what it does and I have no idea how to use it, just to throw out one example.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

1- MDD Lightwave format import/export (Fenric)
    2- Object sequence importer (DCG)
    3- Pycloid and Pyswarm (Fred. Rible - Fractal Dimensia)
    4- Instance randomizer (Sparrowhawke)
    5- Triplanar (Philemo)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Fenric's Change Bone Visibility is essential for everything I do... absolutely everything. I could not live without it now. It it incredible how many things have bones... and not just people or clothing!

yes Silene

In perfect timing for this thread, today Fenric's daz store is on sale in the mega fastrgrab.  :)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

About the only one I use regularly is Fenric's "Shader Power Tools", and 99% of that use is to set "Highlights" and "Shininess" to zero for Poser imports.  

A related item is "Particle Illusion" which is not a plugin but a 2D effects program that works for any still or video.  For me, its easier, faster and more flexible than 3D particle type effects, and almost always a part of my animations.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2017

Octane plugin

Toon Pro

YaToon

Texture backer

Veloute shaders

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

great topic, I'll post mine later

Q for Diomede ​: why ERC? I just bought it so am interested in its most useful quality.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

ERC?  Here are some ideas from the cafe.  

http://carraracafe.com/articles/erc-made-easy-enhancing-facial-realism/

I had not used it at all until recently.  Now I wish I had tried it much earlier, especially for some of my silly custom figures like the cyclopstritch.

thanks Diomede :)

edited September 2017
    1. fenrics Shader Doctor - to remove shine etc from poser shaders - this is a must for time saving - simple two clicks  - https://www.daz3d.com/shader-power-tools-for-carrara
    2. fenric's  Color Balance Shader - so I can tweak a textures colour without altering the original  - https://www.daz3d.com/pose-and-shading-tools-2
    3. fenrics Tree Duplicator - duplicates figures, saves you having to save them out and load them back in - https://www.daz3d.com/posing-pack-3
    4. fenrics Set Figure Visibility ​ - I can change the visability of a whole tree without having to do it one by one - same link as before
    5. VWD cloth plug in - a must, this makes Carrara shine - availbale at the other place. Thanks Philemo and Gerald

-------------------------------------------

my most used plugin is Fenric's SELECTION CHANGER - this is a Godsend. I can move back and forth in my instances list by just using the Keyboard - this saves me so much time I cant say how much time it saves me, a lot that;s for sure :) God Bless Fenric.!

It's in his offsite store, i think you need to email him to buy it if you dont have it.

Post edited by Headwax on
    Vyusur said:

Octane plugin

Toon Pro

YaToon

Texture backer

Veloute shaders

How did I forget the Octane plugin?  I'm smacking myself in the forehead and realizing I need to amend my list  :)

Greetings Vyusur ​ pray tell, what is Texture Backer?

ah t hanks :) bit of lateral thinking on your part! 

head wax said:

Hi, Andrew! I don't remember the exact name of this plugin. blush

Screenshot is attached.

2017-09-11_1421.png
    1037 x 733 - 249K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2017
    head wax said:

fenric's  Color Balance Shader - so I can tweak a textures colour without altering the original  - https://www.daz3d.com/pose-and-shading-tools-2

I was not even aware that this was a thing! I must get it now! laugh

EDIT: Apparently I already own it, LOL.

My top five in no particular order (off the top of my head - I'm not at my play computer right now):

1. Instance randomizer <- gets used in nearly every scene where I am duplicating or replicating objects
    2. Edge falloff shader <- I used this in almost every shader I create to add easily controllable fresnel effects
    3. LightX
    4. Tree Duplicate
    5. Ivy Generator <- I don't use this one as much since it tends to crash my Carrara if I'm not careful with the settings, but I absolutely love it

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Luxus / Luxcore for LuxRender

Toon!Pro

Veloute

ShaderOps 1 & 2

GroundControl

ground control to major tom smiley

Diomede said:

1 - VWD   (plugin by Philemo, VWD by Gerald)

2 - Misty's G3 and G8 characters   (Mistara)

3 - ERC  (Fenric)

4 - Baker   (Inagoni)

5 - Instance Randomizer Shader   (SparrowHawke)

smileysmiley

does the erc work on duf figures?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

I've recently discovered that a lot of the things I use in Carrara are actually plugins. So I'll have to come back with an answer. 

I'm never not using Fenric's Change Bone Visibility if I'm working with Genesis or newer Daz3d Figures

I'm never not using the aniBlock Importer

Every time I store a new character to my browser I use several features of Fenric's Pose Tools (I always start with a simple pose on one half of the body, copy it over to the other side, then go back in and make the pose more asymmetrical. Big time saver). 

Although I haven't used them yet, I've just been studying up on Sparrowhawke's Belt/Pulley and Tracks plugins and will be using them soon, and I've been experimenting with various uses of his jiggle plugin, which is really powerful, like the others. I'm currently going through many of Jeremy's plugins as they are going to be very helpful in my movie's VFX.

Philemo's VWD bridge is a stunner! What a great new tool to have! Love this thing!!!

Luxus for Carrara and its sequel are really neat - I don't ALWAYS use them though.

I've been using DCG's Enhance C, Shader Ops, and Shader Ops 2 the last times I was in Carrara

Fenric and Jeremy (Sparrowhawke) have given us new primitives, which I've been using

The new Distance Squared Lights are cool - I still haven't got used to using them correctly - filling in all of the right stuff... but I will be using those a LOT!

I used to use Inagoni's Replica a lot, but I don't think it works right in 8.5?

I have plans and have done experiments for a lot of Inagoni's other plugins - I just haven't got to the part of production where those will be coming in yet - but I will have to be practicing with them very soon. Baker is something I look forward to learning as well. I've played with it, but it's not part of my natural flow of things yet.

Fenric's PZ2 Exporter has been a real treat for me. In fact, Edit > Fenric is a very common occurrence for me.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to put together a list of my favorite five. I use plenty more than what I've just said. Kind of in a hurry. 

But two things are for sure: 

1. I need to learn more about the plugins I have (fun ride!)
    2. I really want more of the plugins that are out there!

Vyusur said:
    head wax said:

Hi, Andrew! I don't remember the exact name of this plugin. blush

Screenshot is attached.

Thank you Veronica - yes its a good plugin that one :)

• 1.-Octane Render (The most expensive plugin i ever buy, but absolutely worth it!)

2.-GoZ for Carrara (Limitless modeling!)

3.-Fenric's Shader Tools (Works amazing with octane too!) 

4.-Replica (A lot of new replication features) 

5.-Architools (Trial version, :( ) 

• Since Baker and Veloute have been mentioned here several times, it seems worth mentioning that  Inagoni's products are on sale today.

I am not far enough advanced in Carrara to think much about plugins yet, unfortunately.  There are still multiple conversations taking place on this forum of which I am clueless.

Maybe next year! smiley

I have them all but can not say that I am satisfied. Texture baker spoils the texture quality and doesn't have any options to choose more good quality or an other file extension. Architools is a toy for those who doesn't care about the topology. Replica doesn't work for me at all. Maybe I am too slow to figure out how it works? I played with Veloute shaders couple of times, it's pretty cool.