Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Well, hold your heart. After FOUR YEARS I finally got asked to participate in a Daz survey. Anyone else get that email?  I appreciate them asking for input.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Nope, haven't received one of those. Don't think i've ever received one. Did you get a little prize at the end? 

Novica said:

Well, hold your heart. After FOUR YEARS I finally got asked to participate in a Daz survey. Anyone else get that email?  I appreciate them asking for input.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

I got it too. I was wondering if it was legit or spam.

• Nope, no survey love for me. Hmmm.. I think I will go over to rendo and try to spend my 30 percent off coupon. wink

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Anyone know what the update was for the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials? It's showing in my Updates in Stupid Content and I'm curious what it is, before i download a huge file. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited September 2017

The last update involved  inproved male auotfit. I don't know what this is involved.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited September 2017
    jakiblue said:

Nope, haven't received one of those. Don't think i've ever received one. Did you get a little prize at the end? 

Novica said:

Yep, a small store credit. And the survey was detailed and really encouraged input, from what was liked/disliked, suggestions for improvement, what you'd like to see in the store, what you primarily rendered, etc. For products I suggested men, animals, toons, less repetitive products like swimsuits, more historical,  and family friendly contemporary. For improvements it was consistent product standards and MUCH better QA, consistent product pages and ReadMes- and every product to have a ReadMe, and file structures that were consistent. There was more, but you get the gist. It was organizational suggestions from me, for the most part.

Post edited by Novica on
  •   Great suggestions @Novica, they asked the right person as you are always so organized and direct but fair in your commentary.

edited September 2017
    RGcincy said:

I got it too. I was wondering if it was legit or spam.

LOL they must have appreciated our render war during my last contest, and felt sorry for you being so....crabby.  Edit: I knew it was real because they spelled my name Cathie.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2017

Great suggestions @Novica, they asked the right person as you are always so organized and direct but fair in your commentary.

Aw, thanks!  I tried to provide input that everyone was agreement on in this thread and Commons, aka, the file structure dries us batty. And it's not even Halloween yet. (Edit- dang it, I forgot to mention Vanity naming, which drives me nuts. I look for the product, not the vendor, when trying to find characters, etc.  Hey Rich, have you done yours yet? (hint hint... but only if you agree with me on that...) 

Post edited by Novica on

@ferretmania did a great render of Brahm who is in a featured store at 75% off with a New Debut item. Here's his page.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2017
    Novica said:

@ferretmania did a great render of Brahm who is in a featured store at 75% off with a New Debut item. Here's his page.

Oops. (Don't want any disappointed peeps.) GypsyAngel has a new release today, Eirian for Genesis 8 Female, so she's in the Featured Artist section, which works out to 60% if you  have all the qualifiers.

ETA: I've got Easy Modeling And Morphing With Blender in my cart. Does anyone know if this will be helpful to someone, (me,) who is totally intimidated by Blender? I figure it's about time I tried modeling, but not sure where to start.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited September 2017

You caught it 25 minutes before I did just now. I just went into my cart to take things out and saw the 60%. I'm going to get him anyway. I think I had the windows open with the mega fastgrab and apparently I had opened a store when I pulled the page down.  Thanks for fixing it! 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

You caught it 25 minutes before I did just now. I just went into my cart to take things out and saw the 60%. I'm going to get him anyway. I think I had the windows open with the mega fastgrab and apparently I had opened a store when I pulled the page down.  Thanks for fixing it! 

Happy to help. laugh

Now it's off to bed for me. Almost 3:30 am here...

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I got the survey too. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchases and shopping experiences. I'd like to see more historical stuff and of course more fantasy stuff. Always more fantasy stuff, LOL (I know, we have plenty but I love it!)

• Novica said:

Great suggestions @Novica, they asked the right person as you are always so organized and direct but fair in your commentary.

Aw, thanks!  I tried to provide input that everyone was agreement on in this thread and Commons, aka, the file structure dries us batty. And it's not even Halloween yet. (Edit- dang it, I forgot to mention Vanity naming, which drives me nuts. I look for the product, not the vendor, when trying to find characters, etc.  Hey Rich, have you done yours yet? (hint hint... but only if you agree with me on that...) 

Regarding vanity folders, I've done some un-official surveys of both vendors and customers, and the like/dislike of them is really split right down the middle. 50% of the vendors are going to use them no matter what, and 50% of the vendors can't stand them and will never use them. The same goes for end users. 50% of the people will remove them if they are there, and 50% of the people will create them if they are not. If there was a clear majority, things would change, but it really is dead close. 100% of the people are going to happy or unhappy with 50% of their products. wink

I like them, because I usually do sort by vendor. I know what to expect from the material zones on the clothing in my Fisty & Darc folder, and I know what sort of movements and adjustment morphs to expect from the hair in my AprilYSH folder. I absolutely understand the other side of the discussion, because every one organizes their content in the way that makes sense to them.

L'Adair said:

ETA: I've got Easy Modeling And Morphing With Blender in my cart. Does anyone know if this will be helpful to someone, (me,) who is totally intimidated by Blender? I figure it's about time I tried modeling, but not sure where to start.

It says it is targeted for complete 3D beginners. It seems to start from the interface (which is what I hear complaints about Blender). The vendor makes good products so that's a plus. The fact it comes with paper (137 pages) and videos (6+ hours)  is a plus plus. 

Novica said:

LOL they must have appreciated our render war during my last contest, and felt sorry for you being so....crabby

That's it!

I filled the survey out last night so can't add your suggestion. I don't recall all I said but I did say more historical and real-life environments, less "pretty" characters and more real-life characters(e.g., different ages and body type) . Also mentioned the high regular price and the usual sale structure, where to participate, you have to buy something new from that day when there's nothing you want that day.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited September 2017

I report typos and errors in file structure all the time. I'm really a bit surprised some of these items with obvious errors are making it out the door. My runtime is a mess with multiple improperly named folders, content placed in root,  vanity folders, duplicates caused by spaces and mistyped folders.  Recently acquired poser content is likewise difficult to use, especially since this new daz version has been buggy with saving empty folders when I make custom folders of poser only items. I hate going to three poser locations to find everything included with my product eveytime because studio refuses to save it.

I wish the store staff would say enough already as of now the new properly edited  structure will be adhered to and new products will have to be named a specific way and go in specific folders and pass through the hands of an editor who enforces these standards. They can address the mess of older stuff later but the fact that new stuff is being dumped into the sea of fail that is the current daz file structure is frustrating.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    RGcincy said:
    L'Adair said:

It says it is targeted for complete 3D beginners. It seems to start from the interface (which is what I hear complaints about Blender). The vendor makes good products so that's a plus. The fact it comes with paper (137 pages) and videos (6+ hours)  is a plus plus. 

Thank you. Based on the promos and description, it looks like it will go a long way toward getting me comfortable with Blender. I've got 'til the end of the day to make up my mind.

I filled out my survey last night. My comment started with one word: Frustating. I went on to mention confusing and deceptive adcopy, higher prices and lower quality of new products... stuff like that. It took me three tries to write a comment before I had it toned down enough I think they might take it seriously!
    laugh

edited September 2017

Tenera Morphing Armor

This is a really cool set for G2F which autofits well to G3F. Trying to get it onto G8F is kind of a nightmare, so I stuck with GypsyAngel's Maret for G3F. What a knockout! I put her in the i13 Greek Arena and reshaded the armor with Mec4D PBS Vol 3 shaders. I also used Marshian's Rim Light Rig Iray for a subtle effect. (Click for bigger pic.)

Post edited by Llynara on
  • That looks amazing Llynara. I like the character and the outfit! Nicely done.

• Did anyone buy anything today? I succumbed and bought the bird set, the iray rim light set (mostly due to the fantastic renders on this thread) and a couple of other odds and ends!

edited September 2017
    L'Adair said:

My comment started with one word: Frustating. I went on to mention confusing and deceptive adcopy, higher prices and lower quality of new products... stuff like that. It took me three tries to write a comment before I had it toned down enough I think they might take it seriously!
    laugh

I mentioned the QA aspect and how if it had been tested properly, certain products never would have made it through because it was the basics and not hard to find. QA isn't to punish the vendors, it's to have a second set of eyes to be helpful- but they don't seem to "help" on some products when there's glaring errors. Not to be insensitive to the QA people- there are many things to check- they need a checklist that they must complete for each type of product- one for characters, one for sets, etc. But...they should be required to SIGN IT and have accountability if they say they tested it and didn't.

If they have the tools and it's extremely clear-cut then there's no excuse- going down a 1-2-3- checklist of required "Pass" items. If it was something that a vendor did that wasn't on the list, that would be understandable. But there should also be a section on the list for "Other" as everything should be tested.  It's not fair to PAs who put out good products, to have less than desirable products contributing to the reputation of the PAs and company.  

The checklist(s) should be provided to the PAs (and have their input on it when it is drafted) so everyone contributes if they want to, and everyone knows what is expected. (Organizational Communication was one of the subjects I taught at a university and QA coordination with the Regional QA Manager was one of the main things I did as a Regional HRD Director for Florida D.O.T. (state agency.)  So I'm frustrated with this company's lack of progress in this area. I'm not trying to nail people, I'm saying make the effort to get this right, give them the tools to make their jobs easier, but yes, hold them accountable if they aren't doing their jobs when they have the tools to do it. Right now, I know those tools aren't provided and people are not held accountable to set standards that they must sign off on, or we could NOT have the errors that we are getting now. 

Post edited by Novica on
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

LOL they must have appreciated our render war during my last contest, and felt sorry for you being so....crabby

That's it!

I filled the survey out last night so can't add your suggestion. I don't recall all I said but I did say more historical and real-life environments, less "pretty" characters and more real-life characters(e.g., different ages and body type) . Also mentioned the high regular price and the usual sale structure, where to participate, you have to buy something new from that day when there's nothing you want that day.

Dang it, I didn't think about that one.

Llynara said:

Stunning, love the overall "rust" and warm tones of the background, skin tones, and clothing. 

I had to laugh at this description- love it when the vendors are down-to-earth and say things we're probably thinking (so far as materials zones.)  The Little Black And White Dress (Gen3F)   says  "This outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s), containing a dress, high heels and a clutch, comes with a variety of combinations in black and white. And of course you can make yourself a 'Little Pink; Green Dress' or 'Whatever-Color-You-Want-Dress' ;-) "

With a New Debut, it's only 75% off so it's $4.48 and inludes dress, shoes, clutch (I don't really like those "rocker" type elevated toes in front on the pumps, like you would rock back and forth if your weight went forward. But for the price, the shoes and little clutch are nice additions. I plan on putting one of the Skinz or corset (plain) tops under this, in red, and make the neckline more adaptable for family friendly wear. It's not THAT sexy, but since the dress already has sections, it would simply add another one. You can also select the edge of the dress, making a rim material zone, and lengthen it with Y scale. Or at least I think I can, that's my theory. 

The other dress, same price, with interestesting shoulder straps, is Kikki Outfit, and those shoes are cute. You'd pay $4.48 just for the shoes!

edited September 2017

That looks amazing Llynara. I like the character and the outfit! Nicely done.

Thanks! I really think that outfit and Mec4D's shaders were made for each other. Love the shinies! 

And the only thing I bought today was a PC+ texture set (Breeze Along) so I could pick up cheapie stuff in the M4/V4 sale. Yesterday I picked up the Basketball Kit so I could get Jack Tomlin's stuff in the Mega Fast Grab. I'm finally the proud owner of Platea, Invetero. Moon Gate and Saba'a Alkair. Can't wait to play with those! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • I picked up Iray Worlds plus (can't wait to play with that one) and Quincy hair today,  and then I picked up the Kingdom of Marrakesh FINALLY lol. Its been in my wishlist since day one.

• I got quite a lot today, including the black and white dress, the basketball kit, flying fabric, and yay, Sawyer!  I regretted not buying him when he first came out and was waiting until a sale.

This discussion has been closed.