Urban Sprawl 3 ---what do you want to see in the new city?

Comments

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Personally, I'd like to see something either:

1) Times Square like, or

2) Chicago (mainly architecture) like (e.g., Dark Knight).

Just my $0.02.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

...thanks, the Tower crane is a freebie from Share CG. Had to load it as a .obj and re-texture it myself. Have the entire crane (including the cab with windows) textured.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Stonemason
    Any chance of us getting this before March Madness ends?
    Thanks

P.S. Some more pics would be nice too.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Maybe a parking garage?

And I found US2 I had problems with obvious tiling - especially for window/night scenes, the repeating pattern is built into the UV mapping. I found it very difficult to disguise.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I have both of the existing sets, and the idea of a waterside environment would be great - docks, bridge, promenade area, with bigger buildings further back. I also like the idea of a more European city environment (maybe centred on a square) but that is maybe a separate project. And thanks for asking!

• BnomSandyBnomSandy Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I know this is not part of the Urban Sprawl line, but I wold really love to see the Mech from Urban Future 4 cover art released:

popup_03_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 129K
  • quickxoticaquickxotica Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

more suggestions for US3, if I may:

Subway entrances (stairs descending from street level downward) and elevated pedestrian walkways connecting buildings & crossing over streets like you see in the colder parts of the USA. In general, the more bridges & tunnels the better.

Ans how about a section of elevated railway?

Hey we can dream, right?

Thanks for listening!

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,532
    edited December 1969

Random idea. Whenever I was in a big city they always have some point of the area that I am in under scaffolding. Really happens a lot in New York. Just an idea.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see options for clean and scruffy versions, not just the scruffy option which we can clean up. It isn't easy to clean up the graffiti in some of your sets because there's a lot of it, but in some real places there isn't any. I'd like to see a more up-market part of town on one side of the set and narrow seedy alleyways on the other side; if it's as big as Urban Sprawl 2 let's face it there's room for both!

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    Gotham

What he said.

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Isikol said:
    Stefan im absollutelly sure that whatever you will built, we will buy...

But, since you asked let me tell you my opinion...

If i where you i would play a little with Batman Arkham city...

That game is really great for inspiration...it has so many different places with stunning details...

Just google it and you will understand!

Whatever you decide, i feel the need to pre-thank you! :D

What he said!
    Cool Idea..I would buy that in a heartbeat

Rawn

AND what he said.

edited December 1969

Think art deco period such as Hugh Ferriss but with heavy influence from Gothic and even baroque architectural influences.

:)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Stonemason
    Any chance of us getting this before March Madness ends?
    Thanks

P.S. Some more pics would be nice too.

it's a long way off being finished so wont be in MM..I have some sci-fi things being released this week as my MM item

edited December 1969

Maybe a parking garage?

And I found US2 I had problems with obvious tiling - especially for window/night scenes, the repeating pattern is built into the UV mapping. I found it very difficult to disguise.

With such a large set the only way to get close up detail without using massive textures is to use tiling,though I do make the windows into two separate material groups so for night scenes you don't have to have all the windows illuminated and that should avoid any obvious tiling.
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see options for clean and scruffy versions, not just the scruffy option which we can clean up. It isn't easy to clean up the graffiti in some of your sets because there's a lot of it, but in some real places there isn't any. I'd like to see a more up-market part of town on one side of the set and narrow seedy alleyways on the other side; if it's as big as Urban Sprawl 2 let's face it there's room for both!

with urban sprawl 2(& US3) all the graffiti is placed as separate props(decals)..so you should be able to just turn the graffiti off
    edited December 1969

...maybe not as part of the set itself, however it would be cool to see seasonal and event banners/signage as well as holiday decorations as an add on props set.

Also maybe a vehicle pack which includes transit buses and city/utility work and emergency vehicles for both American and British Commonwealth street configuration.

• Randall LloydRandall Lloyd Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

1. I would like a night time setup for whatever city comes next. I would also love to see that as an upgrade for US2
    2. A light-dome to encompass the set that had a virtual extended scene on it so you could never "shoot off the set" would be nice
    3. I agree with some others that a central park setting would be incredible and a welcome addition.
    4. Overall, something darker than US2 more like Gotham.
    5. Taller buildings
    6. pose presets to bring genesis to spots in front of the included cameras
    7. a section of sewer accessible by manhole cover
    8. an interior office area inside the tallest skyscraper so you could look out.
    9. Classic scenes (maybe great add-ons) You could include empty interior space placeholders and add-on with actual interior sets for diners, pubs
    10. Low res populace and vehicles so the city looks populated
    11. different weather. Snow, Rain etc...
    12. add on rubble and destruction sets

just a start :D

edited December 1969

...excellent suggestions.

I also like the idea of the elevated tramway mentioned earlier (maybe as an add on set?)
    Personally would like a more "Neo Deco" look as that would work well with elements from your other sets.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

with urban sprawl 2(& US3) all the graffiti is placed as separate props(decals)..so you should be able to just turn the graffiti off

It's great that this is the case, but it's not just the graffiti. Making some parts of the city with a very clean, well tended look, and other parts with narrow seedy alleys and scruffy textures is what I am really after. An example would be The Walled City; it's so seedy and dirty that even with no graffiti you could never use it for an up-market part of town without extensive re-texturing. So, since I assume US3 is going to be big enough, I'd like to see a smart clean part of town and and a seedy, dirty part of town too.

• gero_1478aba0a9gero_1478aba0a9 Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Another vote for the under/overpass thingie that was teased in the US2 preview pics.

Also echoing the suggestion of a detailed news stand - a really nice element that can be moved around and used as a focal storytelling point or general background colour.

Some kind of interstate bus terminal or train station would be nice too.

Cheers

edited December 1969

well..the overpass made it... :)
    attached a very,very early wip/concept...many elements still missing,some bldg scales are off etc..
    but the image looked pretty cool to me...

first ever us3 preview! :)

VFBPlus_temp_032213_030849.jpg
    1650 x 837 - 447K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Haysus, Mister Stonemason! What? Did you rape a Hollywood Backdrop repository? It looks fantastic!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2013

....first ever us3 preview! :)
    images.jpg
    298 x 169 - 10K
    Post edited by StratDragon on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Let's go to the Cinema! :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

attached a very,very early wip/concept...many elements still missing,some bldg scales are off etc..

God that reminds me of Auckland in the 80's minus the big traffic lights though. ;) Got to get this one too.
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Put me down for a copy, lol. Looks amazing.

• gero_1478aba0a9gero_1478aba0a9 Posts: 25
    edited March 2013

D'oh! I thought you meant it was hidden somewhere in in US2 and I'd somehow missed it, but then realised it's framing the preview image - LOL. Fantastic!

Awesome, you already have some scaffold/construction details as suggested.

Post edited by gero_1478aba0a9 on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Maybe a parking garage?

With such a large set the only way to get close up detail without using massive textures is to use tiling,though I do make the windows into two separate material groups so for night scenes you don't have to have all the windows illuminated and that should avoid any obvious tiling.Oh Thank you! I hadn't thought of that...

Amazing preview! Looking forward to this! :cheese:

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Thanks Stonemason
    It looks good so far (as I expected).
    Keep showing us previews as you progress.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Nice construction walkway shields! :)

What's with the duct to nowhere coming off the roof of the hotel?