Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• Just as an FYI: on the West Coast 'last night' isn't even that late. I can buy from the next day's sale before sleeping at midnight. 

Watching Irma with trepidation. 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

The heck with the sales. Glad you are safe!

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited September 2017

I decided to try out Brendan Hair  on Genesis 8 Female. As you can see from this image it looks good. I have used some of the head morphs from Versatile morphs for Genesis 3 male to alter the face shape of the man on the right. This is a really useful product with lots of different face and body shapes.

Brendanhair.jpg
    800 x 800 - 129K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2017

Now 2.5 million FLoridians without power, over 5 million overall. My sister in Jacksonville already had 3" of rain this morning, my neighbor (whose dog died) can't reach her sister in Miami via text or calls, which isn't surprising due to cell phone towers. Looking at CNN's video of the Keyes, many homes did quite well (constructed after Hurricane Andrew.) It was interesting to watch Chris from CNN broadcasting in Naples as the eye hit- did you see how the birds stay in the eye of the storm and are actually visible in the radar as a cluster? They move along with it and stay safe! (Smarter than some humans, right?)

I'm looking at the P3D characters. I don't need any more, but you know how that goes. I did narrow it down to Lilah , Caro (different, more angled eyebrows), Toby (M7)   At 68% off, (two New Debut)  they're $5.74 to $6.07. The two new debuts drops my cart to below what I would pay if I got the items by themselves, as I am picking up quite a few sets. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited September 2017

I picked up the G8 version of Project EYEray yesterday, because I really liked the G3 version which sort of works on G8, but this version uses a custom UV set for the eye components. I read in another thread that some people are finding it difficult to use, and that is sort of true if you use the Smart Content tab (where all the settings appear jumbled together in the smartest of smart content ways), but providing you go through Content Library then it is very straightforward - just apply settings from folders numbers 1-6 in that order. I didn't let this one run for too long, so the hair is still rather speckly (I blurred it a little in postwork to make it a little less spotty) but the eyes are fully done.

Figure is a Base G8F with a mixture of morphs ported from G3F (a bit of Bethany, a little Eva and more Olympia with several other face morphs). Hair is the Super Messy Updo from the Dylan bundle (I really must do a proper render of that when I have time, I really like the look of it so far). Her top is from the G8F Mega Wardrobe set and the lighting is from the recent PC+ Iray Promo Lights & HDRI set. (The background is one of the HDRI's from the set, but I added a few sparkly stars in post).

I hope to add a few more EYEray renders (a little closer up perhaps) when I have time...

Edit to fix numerous typos (it's a little late here - after midnight - maybe I should head to bed.

EYErayG8-01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 556K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

The news from Florida is terrible! I'm so sorry for those poor folks in the path of Irma (and all those in the Caribbean who have already been through it). I really hope those of you in the area come through it unscathed.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    MelanieL said:

I picked up the G8 version of Project EYEray yesterday, because I really liked the G3 version which sort of works on G8, but this version uses a custom UV set for the eye components. I read in another thread that some people are finding it difficult to use, and that is sort of true if you use the Smart Content tab (where all the settings appear jumbled together in the smartest of smart content ways), but providing you go through Content Library then it is very straightforward - just apply settings from folders numbers 1-6 in that order. I didn't let this one run for too long, so the hair is still rather speckly (I blurred it a little in postwork to make it a little less spotty) but the eyes are fully done

Thanks for sharing this, MelenieL. I have the G3 version and love it and said, eh, why bother with the new one. I will reconsider. The eyes look great in this render!

edited September 2017
    MelanieL said:

I picked up the G8 version of Project EYEray yesterday, because I really liked the G3 version which sort of works on G8, but this version uses a custom UV set for the eye components.

Very nice- and I like what you added in the background, spruces it up without distracting from the character. Thanks for showing the Project EYEray! 

Edit: 8:15pm   Tornado at Cocoa Beach was MOVING at 74mph. They said that was quite unusual. Two more tornadoes reported now.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

I've been "eyeing" the eye product.. G8's eyes are weird and annoying to get to look good, way harder than G3.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

hmmm thought i was the only one who thought that about G8's eyes. Interesting to see I am not alone.  

Fisty said:

I've been "eyeing" the eye product.. G8's eyes are weird and annoying to get to look good, way harder than G3.

On another note, I recently picked up that Spartechops outfit for G3F: https://www.daz3d.com/spartechops-for-genesis-3-female-s as I'd been wanting it for a while. It was in the mega fastgrab a few days back. Was a bit disturbed to realize when I went to play with it that ALL the armour pieces are props. Which means autofitting to G8 is a bust as they don't (and converting prop to figure explodes the pieces). I'll check out sickleyield's tutorial but I don't think that works with props - wondering if anyone here has it and can convince me it's worth keeping....

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    jakiblue said:
    On another note, I recently picked up that Spartechops outfit for G3F: https://www.daz3d.com/spartechops-for-genesis-3-female-s as I'd been wanting it for a while. It was in the mega fastgrab a few days back. Was a bit disturbed to realize when I went to play with it that ALL the armour pieces are props. Which means autofitting to G8 is a bust as they don't (and converting prop to figure explodes the pieces). I'll check out sickleyield's tutorial but I don't think that works with props - wondering if anyone here has it and can convince me it's worth keeping....

G3F and G8F have nearly exactly the same shape, just the pose is different.  Load a G3F and color her skin something obnoxious like bright green.  Load a G8F and adjust her pose until it matches up as closely as possible to G3F.  It's mostly thighs side-side and upper arm bends but there are a few tweeks you can do to the shoulders to get it even closer if you want to be a perfectionist.  The JCMs aren't the same so there will be a slight bit of difference but not enough to matter.  Now load the armor props to G3F.  Then select each piece and change its parent to the coresponding bone on G8F.  Once you have them all moved over you can delete G3F and restore G8F to her normal pose, all the props should follow along like they should.  With G8F selected go to file->save as->wearable preset, make sure all the armor pieces are checkmarked, and save it as SpartechOps G8F so you don't have to do all that annoyance again.  Wearable presets don't change the actual props or figures so you won't be messing anything up and any morphs the items have will work normally.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited September 2017

jakiblue said:

I like bulky armor, but the texture looked oversized to me and the chunky chest harness looked too fantastic for me. But I've seen some good renders with it, just not my taste. I hope it works for you and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited September 2017

As something to consider- 

It's tough (unless you make notes in your wishlist, which of course I never remember to do) to keep track of what clothes have presets for certain pose sets. One of the nice clothes vendors, Aave, does just that. I had some poses wishlisted, and I wondered why (because I have so many, don't need any more) so then I realized they must go with outfits. So if you see any outfits in the Mega Fastgrab, please let people know what pose sets go with them- because those pose sets may turn up there on a different day.

Here's what I am seeing right away- (and yippee!! Remember a couple days ago when I forgot to check out and lost all those Megas? Sunny is back!    So watch for ironman and DesignAnvil if you need these other pose sets. Always a Lady is Aave, who is featured today.

Sunny For Genesis 3 Female(s) in M.F.  (Mega Fastgrab) has presets for Always A Lady poses. (Also M.F. Today!)  And I love those poses, use them all the time.

The His Shirt for Genesis 3 Female(s) has morphs for:
    Fashion Model Poses         Capses Fun and Flirty Poses for Victoria 7      Mei Lin 7 Variety Pose Pack    (I think this is what the product page meant, it was Variety Pack for Mei Lin 7)    Greek Goddess Poses for Olympia 7

Post edited by Novica on

Ack, Jacksonville is having 45 mph winds and 66 mile gusts- ALREADY. And Irma isn't even to Gainesville yet. It's a Category 1. We're at 14mph and 24mph gusts, it will get worse this afternoon but nothing serious unless those darned tornadoes start popping up.

I am doing a few renders of the P3D characters that I bought. People are having trouble (as usual) with today's sales, the unicorn items did discount to 90% for me, but I had two of the New Debut in my cart- the Still New doesn't seem to be working.

edited September 2017

P3D Caro       Cailin Hair       Goldberry Outfit (G3F)

For the catchup sale, keep P3D characters in mind. I scooped her up at $5.74 and the rest at $6.07 each.  

Pro-Studio lighting.

Hurricane update:4:46am  4 million without power in Florida (4:45am Central Time.)  90% of Flagler County is out of power. Wow. 

5:25am:  5.7 million in Florida no power.

Caro CailinHr Goldberry Outft2.png
    500 x 600 - 578K
    Post edited by Novica on

70 minutes until Hurrican Irma's rains reach Pensacola. This is SOOOOO eerie. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

oh that is LOVELY, Novica!!! Just gorgeous! 

Novica said:

P3D Caro       Cailin Hair       Goldberry Outfit (G3F)

For the catchup sale, keep P3D characters in mind. I scooped her up at $5.74 and the rest at $6.07 each.  

Pro-Studio lighting.

Hurricane update: 4 million without power in Florida (4:45am Central Time.)  90% of Flagler County is out of power. Wow. 

edited September 2017

Thank you. It's using the Mitchell Filter instead of Gaussian, but I still sharpen it a bit in postwork.

P3D Silvie        Geneva Hair       Monokini (G3F) 

For Silvie, I increased the lip bump and reflectivity, also used a mauve to get the lips darker from the default. Cost: $6.07 from Mega Fastgrab yesterday. Watch for her in the Catchup sales if you like her!

Hurricane Irma: Still Category 1 at 7am Monday, Sept 11     5.8 million Floridians without power now. It's balmy here in Pensacola, meaning the trees are blowing and it was spritzing (rain) but stopped. Just a couple drops so far. Thinking about the rest of you! 

Silvie Monokini Geneva.png
    420 x 900 - 486K
    Silvie Monokini GenevaSIG.png
    773 x 897 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

Ack, Jacksonville is having 45 mph winds and 66 mile gusts- ALREADY. And Irma isn't even to Gainesville yet. It's a Category 1. We're at 14mph and 24mph gusts, it will get worse this afternoon but nothing serious unless those darned tornadoes start popping up.

I am doing a few renders of the P3D characters that I bought. People are having trouble (as usual) with today's sales, the unicorn items did discount to 90% for me, but I had two of the New Debut in my cart- the Still New doesn't seem to be working.

Ugh- I'm glad to know you're alright.  My aunt/cousin are in Winter Park, and one of my brothers is in Jacksonville.  Let's hope for no more tornadoes.

@DarwinsMishap    I don't know if you've heard- but Jacksonville broke the record regarding store surge in 1964 from Hurricane Dora. Things are flooding badly there, depending on what part of Jax your family is in.   If you go to accuweather.com and type in Jacksonville you'll get the radar. My sister is Fleming Island, surrounded by water. I'm watching CNN for the next few minutes and they are talking about Jax off and on. 

@darwinsmishap   Jacksonville is out of power, just got a text from my sister. There are trees down and a lot of branches all over the place so far. No flooding around Flemings Island though. I just heard a lot of St Augustine and that area is under water. (CNN) 

edited September 2017

Hmm, check your messages. I've seen two references to $10 Daz cash. I don't have the banner, so it's definitely not related to how much you've spent LOL. The two people who got it were complaining about the sale and they hadn't spent anything. So the regulars on this thread probably won't get the offer... we buy things. Anyway, you may get the banner later today, remember how it rolls out at different times sometimes? 

Around 7:30am   Irma no longer a hurricane, is a tropical storm

Post edited by Novica on

Thinking of all the people who knew individuals or lost loved ones on 9-11. You are not forgotten. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:

Hmm, check your messages. I've seen two references to $10 Daz cash. I don't have the banner, so it's definitely not related to how much you've spent LOL. The two people who got it were complaining about the sale and they hadn't spent anything. So the regulars on this thread probably won't get the offer... we buy things. Anyway, you may get the banner later today, remember how it rolls out at different times sometimes? 

Around 7:30am   Irma no longer a hurricane, is a tropical storm

I had a $10 offer a few days ago; I hadn't spent a penny during September, so I think that was the trigger.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2017

Arki provides poses with the Corvus ensamble.  Sitting, laying down and several standing poses. It also has a TON of textures, Shox contributed to the textures as well, so I think there are at least 8 different textures with this.  Really gorgeous. Eited to add that its for G3 and G8.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Novica said:

@DarwinsMishap    I don't know if you've heard- but Jacksonville broke the record regarding store surge in 1964 from Hurricane Dora. Things are flooding badly there, depending on what part of Jax your family is in.   If you go to accuweather.com and type in Jacksonville you'll get the radar. My sister is Fleming Island, surrounded by water. I'm watching CNN for the next few minutes and they are talking about Jax off and on. 

No, I hadn't heard- thank you.  I'll check on the family tonight.  Much appreciated!

My sister in Jacksonville got power turned back on already!!!!  Impressive! 

Very cold here in Pensacola, winds blowing.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

Arki provides poses with the Corvus ensamble.  Sitting, laying down and several standing poses. It also has a TON of textures, Shox contributed to the textures as well, so I think there are at least 8 different textures with this.  Really gorgeous. Eited to add that its for G3 and G8.

Wow, IceDragonArt. that's an awesome render and a really cool wacky outfit! I missed that one somehow - it's on my wishlisst now. laugh

More new freebies in the store - more Lantios lights and a couple Surreality ladies and eyes for V4. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2017
    luci45 said:

Wow, IceDragonArt. that's an awesome render and a really cool wacky outfit! I missed that one somehow - it's on my wishlisst now. laugh

More new freebies in the store - more Lantios lights and a couple Surreality ladies and eyes for V4. 

Thank you!  I have a post worked version on my thread, but I don't want to clutter up Novica's with two of the same thing lol.  Its got a LOT of options and some truly beautiful textures.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited September 2017

@icedragonart   Feel free to put links to additional renders in your own thread. While this thread doesn't encourage just linking to a gallery image or to another thread without posting an image here, it's absolutely fine (encouraged) to link to your thread with additional images. Thanks for being so thoughtful! 

More Irma tidbits: (From CNN) 
    *At 6:45am this morning. 5.8 million in Florida were without power.
    Updated stats: On Sunday/Monday:  6,516,564 Floridians out of power, Georgia has 930,920 people, and the list goes on!

*Florida broke its record for tornado warnings- previous record was 42, there were 72 yesterday and Friday.
    *There were 127,000 people in Red Cross shelters.
    *It's estimated 172 billion will be spent on Harvey, and it's unknown about Irma.
    *Jacksonville had a Category 3 storm surge, even though Irma was a Tropical Storm. The surge was 20% higher than the Hurricane Dora record setter in the 60's. 

*70% of Miami has no power as of Monday night. 

*Irma hit at the exact latitude and longitude as Hurricane Wilma. 

United States has NEVER had two Category 4's EVER in the same year. Harvey and Irma were SIXTEEN DAYS APART.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.