Luxus discussion

Comments

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I've got a textfile where I am saving stuff said in the Luxus threads ... so not my wisdom, just accumulated ...

About Hybrid:

Keep in mind that Hybrid BiDir is broken. It’s “experimental” at best. Even the Lux devs will tell you this. If you want to use Hybrid mode, always select Path. Hybrid Path in 1.2 finally supports almost everything CPU mode does, with a few exceptions like (nested) instances. I still see differences in the quality of renders between Path and Hybrid Path, though, with CPU-mode being more accurate. To get the most performance out of the Hybrid modes, you really have to tweak a few of the settings like raybuffersize and statebuffercount as these are highly dependent on your specific CPU and GPU combination.

On unexpected exits:
    this may have been mentioned in the 22 pages of this thread but as you begin to get comfortable and more creative with you new found power keep in mind LuxRender is a very memory intensive engine and can swallow up 8 or 12 or 16GB RAM in no time even when it’s running all by itself, especially when you start adding more figures and geometries. You can generally see this when your render have been running for a long time with little going on in calculations.
    heres a tip for some of you new LuxRender converts if you start running into this problem.
    Luxconsole can be started by typing “luxconsole” or “./luxconsole” in a terminal window* and it will generally use less RAM than launching the GUI. I’ve used this method when “all else fails” and it has worked on many occasions.
    luxconsole filename.lxs
    *Windows users go to the Start Menu and type “cmd” without the quotes to bring up a command prompt

I hope this helps.

Thanks Kerya

Path only for me, don't you worry about that ;) I have played with BiDir but didn't get much good from it.

As to RAM issues. That could explain some of them (no way to know I guess unless there is a log saved somewhere that I can't find), but the last close issue occured just minutes after launch.

Anything in that note book on depth of field? :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:

Unfortunately not - we will have to wait for Sphericlabs to get an answer for that one.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sun softshadows = increasing Sun Light - Relative Size parameter to + 10 or more to get a softness to the edge of the shadows. For me the defualt of 1 is to sharp. ;)

Now to figure out how to get lighter shadows apart from cranking up the HDRI. I am guessing Turbidity might have something to do with that.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2013

The skin still needs some color tweaking, I might try turning down the absorbtion color a bit and see how it goes.
    doesn't look as good to me as a previous one I posted with just the simple Lana skin applied that seemed to translate over to lux pretty well. The only light is a 15cm mesh light cube just to the right of the camera.

This was over 10 hours (cuz I slept in today) and 9K+ S/p

d56.png
    1024 x 768 - 941K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    I finally got a chance to really give Luxus ago... and here are the results.

Beautiful render! :-)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    jimzombie said:

Unfortunately not - we will have to wait for Sphericlabs to get an answer for that one.

Fair enough. The only thing I've read on it thus far is that it isn't supported, but I don't consider the source reliable.

Man, I love unbiased realistic rendering. So much that I go and post work it till it has any shread of realism removed :) To be fair I may have liked the untouched images a lot more, but Lux did its unexpected quiting thing. I can't figure out how to resume a render once that happens. Not sure why that is, as it worked that way when exporting from Reality.

D11_finalx.jpg
    600 x 810 - 200K
    D10_finalx.jpg
    800 x 580 - 187K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    I can't figure out how to resume a render once that happens. Not sure why that is, as it worked that way when exporting from Reality.

It was stated somewhere in here that you need to use the "Render to File" option in the DS render settings tab and specify a file name and location otherwise it will just save the files to the DS temp folder and dump them when DS closes.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

It was stated somewhere in here that you need to use the "Render to File" option in the DS render settings tab and specify a file name and location otherwise it will just save the files to the DS temp folder and dump them when DS closes.

Got that far but I only seem to be able to start the saved scene from scratch.

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Mattymanx said:

Got that far but I only seem to be able to start the saved scene from scratch.

With Lux Render, you can resume the render WITHOUT going through DS. Load up LuxRender and tell it to load the FLM file for that render and it will pick up wherer you left off.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

With Lux Render, you can resume the render WITHOUT going through DS. Load up LuxRender and tell it to load the FLM file for that render and it will pick up wherer you left off.

Yeah, I know ;) Start Lux load flm and all I get is the image up to where Lux closed. No resume play. I assume this loads the scene export too (that's what I was referring too)?

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

DOF will be fixed in the next build.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Mattymanx said:

Yeah, I know ;) Start Lux load flm and all I get is the image up to where Lux closed. No resume play. I assume this loads the scene export too (that's what I was referring too)?
    Choose resume flm from the menu, Lux will then ask for the lxs and flm files. Then the render will resume where it had left off.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sun softshadows = increasing Sun Light - Relative Size parameter to + 10 or more to get a softness to the edge of the shadows. For me the defualt of 1 is to sharp. ;)

Now to figure out how to get lighter shadows apart from cranking up the HDRI. I am guessing Turbidity might have something to do with that.

Thanks for soft shadow!

Gamma + Film Response. You can set the film to one of the first 3 types to lighten the shadows. There may be other ways

• clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

clarke said:
    I have a question about the attached image. That's Jack Tomalin's Mech in Stonemason's Walled City. The spot render is done in Luxrender, and as you can see the mapped texture isn't showing up on the mech. It's fine on the city (see the bricks in the background), but not on the mech. I've looked fairly closely at the default Luxrender settings for each, and don't see a whole lot of difference.

I found/posted a solution to this over in the Jack Tomalin thread, but just to keep all of the Luxus stuff in one place: the key was to check “Copy Studio Parameters” when applying Luxrender materials to the entire mech. No idea why this step wasn't required for the Walled City. But anyway, here's 10 minutes into my test render...

walledCityMech03.png
    900 x 534 - 963K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Szark said:

Thanks for soft shadow!

Gamma + Film Response. You can set the film to one of the first 3 types to lighten the shadows. There may be other ways
    I tried that and the textures muted but I will have a play now.

Shadow Softness yeah the bigger the light source the softer the shadow edge becomes as Hellboy's chart proves. Just didn't think it related to the sun. ;)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    tjohn said:
    Szark said:

Thanks for soft shadow!

I tried that and the textures muted but I will have a play now.

Shadow Softness yeah the bigger the light source the softer the shadow edge becomes as Hellboy's chart proves. Just didn't think it related to the sun. ;)

you can do test with a cube with light materials added, and do test renders at different sizes, and distances from your model.
    you could use a plane, but I found a cube works and I don't take much of a performace hit.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 1969

DOF will be fixed in the next build.

Great, I thought, that I have doing something wrong with the camera settings.
    Will wait for the DOF in Luxus, then.
  • Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I thought IES was fixed in 1.0.0.3. I now get the load window instead of save, but IES has no effect in renders. I just get normal area lights.

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    NV Oracle said:
    I think I need some help. Please?

I have LuxRender installed, and up and running, my DAZ Studio is 4.5 Pro, but, when I tried to install Luxus, and tried to check Help >About Installed Plugins, it gives me a red mouse icon. When I clicked on Luxus, the information window said that the 'Plugin Failed to Load!' with the reason 'Library could not be loaded. File is not a valid DAZ Studio plug-in, or was made for a different version of DAZ Studio.' I even redownloaded the exe for the plugin.

I had had to redownload Studio 4.5 a month or two ago, and I thought I had the latest version, but the 'About DAZ Studio' window says that it's version 4.5.0.26. Is that what I've done?

I have Windows 7 on a 32 bit system.

The current version of Daz Studio is 4.5.1.56, not sure if Luxus requires the latest version or not.

Running fine here on 4.5.1.6

Thanks for the help, gang. Updating Studio did the trick. Studio is now recognizing Luxus. Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    I thought IES was fixed in 1.0.0.3. I now get the load window instead of save, but IES has no effect in renders. I just get normal area lights.

Hmm. You are right. But it looks like I am entirely missing the iesname for area lights.

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

Hmm. You are right. But it looks like I am entirely missing the iesname for area lights.

I get it now. It should look like this:

fssb.png
    1092 x 789 - 760K
    edited March 2013

Choose resume flm from the menu, Lux will then ask for the lxs and flm files. Then the render will resume where it had left off.

*FACEPALM Why the crap didn't I see that! Thanks =)

Very happy to hear that DOF will be included in the next update too.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • ReilanT 3D pictureReilanT 3D picture Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

hi here

i'm sorry for my bad english :) but i learn it.

i have a little problem i think with luxerander, when i use 3Dlight basic with best quality i have a good Rendering ( see the picture)

When i use Luxerander, the rendering are too long, ( 24h rendering ?!!!? ) and i have only some pixel on a black screen.

i have read and follow the Tutorial instalation. all it's ok, but when i try a render 3Dligt stay better, and it's not normal when i look other creation.

Can you help me ? maybe bad setting for Luxerander in DazStudio

DazStudio : 4.5 pro

Graphic Card : 560 GTX TI 2Gram

CPU : I5 2500K with 8Gram

Une_vision_du_future.jpg
    1508 x 848 - 288K
    edited March 2013

Is that image the 3delight render, or the Lux render? If not, post what you're getting from Lux so we can see the problem.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Is that image the 3delight render, or the Lux render? If not, post what you're getting from Lux so we can see the problem.

3D light, becaux after 24hours with Lux i have a black screen with with pixel

edited December 1969

Sounds like an issue with lighting and/or tonemapping. What tonemapping settings are you using in Lux? Try auto linear and see what happens. If you're using linear try dropping your f-stop and increasing the shutter speed and ISO.

edited March 2013

jimzombie said:
    Sounds like an issue with lighting and/or tonemapping. What tonemapping settings are you using in Lux? Try auto linear and see what happens. If you're using linear try dropping your f-stop and increasing the shutter speed and ISO.

i use AutoLinear for the tone mapping kernel, i use the basic setting of Luxus in DazStudio, i have dropped the Tone Linear FStop to 0,70 ( 2.00 before.

maybe i dont understain what is the shutter Speed i dont see on setting in DazStudio.

i have join the resulte after 30 min rendering.with Luxe

Une_vision_du_future_lux.jpg
    1508 x 848 - 23K
    Post edited by ReilanT 3D picture on
    edited December 1969

hi here

i'm sorry for my bad english :) but i learn it.

i have a little problem i think with luxerander, when i use 3Dlight basic with best quality i have a good Rendering ( see the picture)

When i use Luxerander, the rendering are too long, ( 24h rendering ?!!!? ) and i have only some pixel on a black screen.

i have read and follow the Tutorial instalation. all it's ok, but when i try a render 3Dligt stay better, and it's not normal when i look other creation.

Can you help me ? maybe bad setting for Luxerander in DazStudio

DazStudio : 4.5 pro

Graphic Card : 560 GTX TI 2Gram

CPU : I5 2500K with 8Gram

There are a number of reasons why you could be having difficulties.

First, you are going to want to refer to the Lux Render Wiki here - http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Main_Page - It will take time to familiarize yourself but it will be worth it.

If you plan on using a sun and sky for lighting, you cannot use a sky dome.

edited March 2013

i have make the test following this

To ensure Luxus is installed correctly, perform each of the following steps
    1. Launch DAZ Studio
    2. Open the Render Settings Pane.
    3. Choose the Advanced Tab to see more options.
    4. In the Render Engine section, choose “LuxRender via Luxus”, Note the different
    parameters that appeared.
    5. The first parameter should be “Path To LuxRender”, click on this and browse to the
    proper folder. The folder you browse to needs to contain the LuxRender application.
    Some may find it easiest to browse so that you see the LuxRender application, navigate
    up one folder, and select the folder that contained the application. A search for
    LuxRender.exe in windows search can also be helpful.
    6. Add a Primitive to the scene. Menu → Create → Primitive → Sphere.
    7. Render the scene. Menu → Render → Render.
    8. DAZ Studio will render as normal but with an extra window showing messages from
    LuxRender. With the default settings, the image will update every 12 second..
    9. After about 12 seconds you should see a lit sphere similar to the following(size may
    vary). LuxRender will continue to run the simulation until stopped. Use the stop button
    on the LuxRender Console window.
    Using Luxus
    The following Luxus settings are relevant to LuxRender:
    1. Global

I have the sphere, my instalation it's correct i think.

Now i use a Skydome with Dystopia City, my problem come with the Skydome ??

I try without Skydome, and after i will try to found setting for skydom use Thank for your Anwser :)

Post edited by ReilanT 3D picture on
    edited December 1969

Ah, the old sky dome issue. Yeah, don't use them. Even still, the lights inside the room should have produced light.

This discussion has been closed.