Figure Disappears When Not Selected in Scene

JasonSWrenchJasonSWrench Posts: 379
edited September 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

So, I'm trying to work on a hair model, but I cannot figure out a way to lock the figure in place so it cannot be impacted by any modeling.

1) I've tried the "Freeze the object" (the padlock) next to the figure. When I try to freeze the object, it just disappears completely form the screen.

2) Also, any time the ojbect is not selected within the scene it disappears. So, I cannot even work on the hair unless both it and the figure object are both selected. Of course, it's hard to position something when this is happening.

I've tried looking for tutorials online, but I haven't a clue how to fix this one.

Here's an exact video of the problem I'm seeing: https://vimeo.com/232153668

Thanks,

Jason

Post edited by JasonSWrench on

Comments

• Sorry Jason, the padlock (Freeze) in the properties panel is meant lock things. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me, there are a few things you can try -

In Daz Studio, hide all the body parts except the head, then export the obj.

Reset your Preferences (Edit,Preference Edit - Reset to default).

Uninstall & Re-Install Hex - Hopefully another Hex'er will pop in with a solution before you go down this road.

Great idea to include a video with your problem, I'm just sorry I could not be more help.

• Wee:

Thanks for responding. I ultimately bypassed the hexagon bridge with G8M. I expored it as a Poser file set up and brought it into Hexagon under meters (and then did the same on the way back). For some reason, that worked just fine. Not sure what was going wrong with Hex though.

Jason

• Glad to hear your okay now, Hex has its moments :)

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited September 2017

Wee:

Thanks for responding. I ultimately bypassed the hexagon bridge with G8M. I expored it as a Poser file set up and brought it into Hexagon under meters (and then did the same on the way back). For some reason, that worked just fine. Not sure what was going wrong with Hex though.

Jason

Looks like an OpenGL issue, without seeing more. Try doing it without "Transparency" turned on for that figure to see if that helps. (Bottom menu line, click the square icon for on/off.) Also, try using only the basic theme in Windows, since fancy themes like "Air" tend to mess with custom displays in windowed applications.

If you're using an NVidea chipset, I've got a set of display options for Hexagon and custom launch options for the driver that seems to clear up a great many issues with Hex's older, out-of-date, OpenGL. (Some of what it still tries to use has been partially changed/orphaned in newer versions of OpenGl. Can cause weirdness.) Search my name/posts around here and you should stumble across it. If you can't find it, I'll dig them up for you if needed.

Lastly - It could be a mat setting issue with the Bridge trying to translate things improperly. One thing you can try is just remove any custom mats, morphs, any dynamic geometry or sub-d and then save that file, just the base figure, seperately. Have no transparencies or custom mats on the figure at all, just a plain diffuse color of 0,0,0 /whatever. Open it and then Bridge over to Hex so that you're sure it's a clean figure and see if that works. I don't use DS at all and have never used the Bridge, but I can see how if the Bridge got confused, wonky things might happen. It's still likely an OpenGL thing, but ya never know.

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited September 2017

So, I'm trying to work on a hair model, but I cannot figure out a way to lock the figure in place so it cannot be impacted by any modeling.

1) I've tried the "Freeze the object" (the padlock) next to the figure. When I try to freeze the object, it just disappears completely form the screen.

2) Also, any time the ojbect is not selected within the scene it disappears. So, I cannot even work on the hair unless both it and the figure object are both selected. Of course, it's hard to position something when this is happening.

I've tried looking for tutorials online, but I haven't a clue how to fix this one.

Here's an exact video of the problem I'm seeing: https://vimeo.com/232153668

Thanks,

Jason

Hello.

Aaaa the invisible Genesis - yes isn't it annoying - it happens with Genesis 3 as well.

Happily it's quite an easy fix as it is caused by the Iray shader information and all you have to do is either load a 3Delight shader or make Genesis all grey with a 3Delight grey shader.

Also note it speeds up the transfer if you don't use textures and turn off subdivision on the genesis figures and gen 8 eyelashes when sending to Hexagon - although don't send the eyelashes if you've making head morphs.

Too save you some time I had a look around and found some Genesis 8 Shaders made by SpyroRue that turn the figure grey - use the 3Delight version included with the set -

https://spyrorue.deviantart.com/art/Genesis-Grey-Materials-G8-Bundle-700269005

hope all this helps

Post edited by adzan on