To all Poser users

124»

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited June 2012

Well I guess this is now officially a non issue thanks to Daz and Smith Micro working together to make the Genesis to Poser CR2 tutorial (now available in the store) is here.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2/

Makes me glad I didn't listen to all the people that were essentially saying we shouldn't be upset with Daz and just deal with it. Had we all not complained loudly enough the need to create such an item might never have been realized.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Well I guess this is now officially a non issue thanks to Daz and Smith Micro working together to make the Genesis to Poser CR2 tutorial (now available in the store) is here.

Makes me glad I didn't listen to all the people that were essentially saying we shouldn't be upset with Daz and just deal with it. Had we all not complained loudly enough the need to create such an item might never have been realized.

NNNO.

If I wanted to use Daz Studio, I'd just use Daz Studio

If its that easy to convert, THEN DO IT.

PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

edited June 2012

pwiecek said:

NNNO.

PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

Huh? What are you talking about?

Who said it was easy to convert? Or whether people will buy it or not? The point I'm making is that now there is a solution for all the poser users who felt left out when V5 and M5 were released as Genesis only forcing them to have to switch to studio if they wanted to stick with the latest generstion. Of course this means Poser users will still have to use Studio to set up the figure the way they want before converting it, so I'm sure some of the less flexible poser users will still be upset.

I also think it was a very smart move marketing wise as it demonstrates that Daz hears what it's customers are saying and tries to do what it can to make things work. Perhaps now some of the hostility that's been prevelent in the forums will begin to settle down? I think at the crux of people's feelings was a sense that nobody is listening. Plus I think people found it difficult to believe that a business that thrives on impulse and simplifying 3D art would put itself in a position that they unintentionally made some customers feel that way.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Or even the poser Users that don't have the latest version of Poser.

edited June 2012

pwiecek said:

NNNO.

PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

Who said it was easy to convert? Or whether people will buy it or not? The point I'm making is that now there is a solution for all the poser users who felt left out when V5 and M5 were released as Genesis only forcing them to have to switch to studio if they wanted to stick with the latest generstion. Of course this means Poser users will still have to use Studio to set up the figure the way they want before converting it, so I'm sure some of the less flexible poser users will still be upset.

My very simple point is that this "Solution" still requires you to use Daz 4. If I wanted to use Daz 4, I would just use Daz 4.

Who said people would buy it? I just did.

And if its NOT easy to convert then it REALLY isn't a solution.

In short: Where is my next generation figure coming from? Probably not Daz.

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Still leaves everyone out who can't run DS4. Glad those that can/want to use it have a little more help now though.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Or even the poser Users that don't have the latest version of Poser.

True but then as Poser has progressed, changes have been made that make older models obsolete more or less. It's reasonable to expect Daz to support itself in Poser but asking them to ensure their newest stuff works in all versions, because someone doesn't want to upgrade? Well that's getting more towards unreasonable.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I also doubt very much that Smith Micro are going to make sure that their new figures work in earlier versions of Poser.

edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    pwiecek said:

NNNO.

PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

My very simple point is that this "Solution" still requires you to use Daz 4. If I wanted to use Daz 4, I would just use Daz 4.

Who said people would buy it? I just did.

And if its NOT easy to convert then it REALLY isn't a solution.

In short: Where is my next generation figure coming from? Probably not Daz.

Well of course it still requires you to run Daz 4 but you can likely do what you need to do to get it to Poser using the free version. Most people that object to Studio do so because of the cost of all the plugins to get it to Posers level and/or because it goes about things in ways unfamiliar to a Poser user but selecting and dressing a figure is about as simple and straightforward as it is in Poser.

As for the easy part I thought you were saying it's so simple one doesn't need a tutorial which with the average user not really understanding 3D at an in depth level it's not something the average user could do without a detailed tutorial and some pre-made Python Scripts to assist. With this product, if the sales pitch is accurate actually using the tutorial successfully is easy.

AS for where you plan to shop and what you buy in the future, that's entirely up to you.

edited June 2012

Faerydae said:
    Still leaves everyone out who can't run DS4. Glad those that can/want to use it have a little more help now though.

Well if you can't run Studio 4 you'ld probably have trouble with the newer (required) version of Poser which is more a result of where you choose to be in the technology curve then it is Daz's fault.

In other words you can please some of the people all of the time and even all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited June 2012

Unfortunately it isn't a simple solution, this is just a tutorial and tips and tricks on how to use the cr2 exporter that has been available for months.
    Cliff did all the work on the tutorial and it had little to do with with either daz or smith micro, he has also provided two scripts that correct the clothing scaling issues which at least make the clothing usable.
    But Genesis still looks blugh in Poser as poser doesn't have sub-division, and you will still need Poser Pro 2012 or Poser 9 to support the weight mapping.

Post edited by adzan on
  • ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited June 2012

Faerydae said:

Well if you can't run Studio 4 you'ld probably have trouble with the newer (required) version of Poser which is more a result of where you choose to be in the technology curve then it is Daz's fault.

In other words you can please some of the people all of the time and even all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I have Poser Pro 2012. I haven't had one crash, freeze, etc., and renders extremely fast for me. ETA....I can have Poser, photoshop, firefox, and wm player going at the same time without issues. I don't know what the problem is with me running any version of DS.

Post edited by Christen on
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

Unfortunately it isn't a simple solution, this is just a tutorial and tips and tricks on how to use the cr2 exporter that has been available for months.
    Cliff did all the work on the tutorial and it had little to do with with either daz or smith micro, he has also provided two scripts that correct the clothing scaling issues which at least make the clothing usable.
    But Genesis still looks blugh in Poser as poser doesn't have sub-division, and you will still need Poser Pro 2012 or Poser 9 to support the weight mapping.

Ah okay I was just going by the first line in the product description that reads "DAZ and Smith Micro have made considerable inroads into improving compatibility between Poser and Genesis.". Which leads one to believe they did have a hand in it. I'm surprised Poser doesn't have sub-division because there have been products like sub dividing clothing for House Mouse which was made before Daz Studio was ever created. Also there is the Sub Dividing Millennium Dragon which the description says has full support for Poser (although it does state that it was "Crafted with DAZ Studio's advanced subdivision technology in mind")

• TrickedOut3dTrickedOut3d Posts: 1
    edited June 2012

dante said:
    Hi all!
    I don't know if it's only me or Daz really left all poser users out there to dry.
    After Daz launched it's software things became ever and ever distant from those to whom daz catered in the begining, but it all came apart when the genesis figures emerged...daz droped the poser comunity...realy, like a stone in water...I have been a platinum subscriber since almost it's inception but I rarelly purchase anything anymore...I rarely visit Daz anymore, I just grew distant...it's all about genesis now, but the creativity there was in the begining is no longer there...it's the same stuff allready for M4 and V4, revisited time and again...
    I guess I'll be withdrawing my Platinum membership and just let Daz go...

What do you guys think?

I feel the same way. I am not going to start over again with Genesis when most of that content and more are already available for M4 and V4, and they work in Daz and Poser. I like having Characters I can use in Both Daz and Poser. I was shocked that M5 and V4 only works in Genesis and Daz. M5 could have been a great Daz/Poser character. With the huge growing list of characters for M4 and V4 there is no need to get M5 or V4. Sure genesis may be a great product,but we shoulden't be limited to just Daz. We shoulden't have to convert the M5 and V5 to work in poser.

Post edited by TrickedOut3d on
    edited June 2012

I'm surprised Poser doesn't have sub-division because there have been products like sub dividing clothing for House Mouse which was made before Daz Studio was ever created. Also there is the Sub Dividing Millennium Dragon which the description says has full support for Poser (although it does state that it was "Crafted with DAZ Studio's advanced subdivision technology in mind")

The subdivision that house mouse uses is totally different technology having to do with texturing and not the shape of the rendered mesh.
    It introduces new 'subdivided' material zones into a character or clothing that didn't originally have them.

Millenium dragon undoubtedly uses sub division in DS and does without in poser.

Post edited by pwiecek on