Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited September 2017

How did I overlook the AthenaMinerva armour? And Garrett looks yummy:)

Post edited by Nath on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2017

He looks good! (Posing and lighting both top notch!)  Two toes looks a bit weird to me (the foot closest to us, the one by the big toe and the third toe)  like the section closest to the foot where they connect to it are flattened? They're a lighter band of color too. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

I sat outside with my neighbor in the wee hours this morning, from 2:30am till 4:15am, she was having anxiety attacks, dreaming about the attack. She called me and we sat on her front porch steps and just talked. 

It's awesome that she's got a neighbor like you to help her through the anxiety. That's got to be horrendously traumatic!

edited September 2017

It's awesome that she's got a neighbor like you to help her through the anxiety. That's got to be horrendously traumatic!

Ah, thanks. We were out again last night. She brought her remaining two small dogs outside and we sat on her porch. While she was petting her dog in her lap, I pulled all my hair over my face. When she turned to talk to me, she almost jumped out of her skin. She cried-but this time it was because she laughed so hard at being startled. Then I had her do it and we took a selfie. She said she looked liked Chewbacca and I looked like Cousin It. (which for me is an improvement.) 

Edit: here ya go, 3am this morning. Guess which one is me. This was taken about 20 seconds after she saw me. 

cousin IT.png
    813 x 826 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Hello All!

Has anyone here any experience with the 1957 AM Convertible by Donald Sielke?   I'm wondering specifically how the modeling looks and holds up in DS with SUBDIVISION, and HOW MANY POLYGONS the model IS just in its normal form.

I can see in the promos that the model would need subdivision to smooth out all the painfully obvious blocky curves of the relatively low-resolution modeling but in my experiences so far in this sort of thing, some models don't subdivide without problems like areas "breaking" or distorting bizarrely etc.

Any info appreciated....

~Gen

I don't have it. The link is here for others who want to quickly see if they do. I see what you mean about the subdivision. Looks like a fun car though!

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    Novica said:

I don't have it. The link is here for others who want to quickly see if they do. I see what you mean about the subdivision. Looks like a fun car though!

Thanks for that link, Novica!  Fun - yeah, american 50s nostalgia for sure!

Ugh, just checked (again) the Irma track. Still disaster-prepping and wondering if I will have a place to live in a couple days, like so many others.  I'm in northeast Florida (about 45 minutes north and west from Daytona) so the track projections are somewhat more favorable (for this area) than they were a day or two ago when it was looking like Irma might hug the EAST FL coast but given the size and strength it is still likely to be pretty bad here, and i feel for all you guys in the center and west of the state  now that its moving more your way....   Hope everyone is taking this seriously as they need to!

~Gen

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I have it but haven't loaded it yet. 

Praying for everyone. It's really scary to watch the predictions, and the poor people in Texas are still dealing with the aftermath there. Plus the fires and earthquakes in the Northwest (and an earthquake in Mexico.) I'm here in the Midwest, on the jet stream most of the time, used to all kinds of crazy, hellish weather, and it's strangely quiet. The whole thing is just WEIRD.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

We got a bit of relief from the smoke with some rain here in the Pacific Northwest, especially here in the Willamette Valley. Unfortunately, it came in the form of thunderstorms and a lot more small fires were started with lightning strikes. But everything is more humid now, so that helps, too. This poor earth is taking such a pounding right now. Seems like there's no place really safe from the elements at the moment.

Like Llynara, I'm praying for you folks in Irma's path, as well as the people still affected by Harvey. Katia doesn't look "too bad" at only cat 2, but coming on top of an earthquake...? Geez Louise. My heart goes out to you all. I only have to deal with a bit of smoke, by comparison. I've got nothing to complain about.

Stay safe. Err on the side of caution. Get the hell out of Dodge. Whatever it takes.

Hugs.

edited September 2017

It was so sad in the wee hours of the morning to see Mexico hit with a magnitude 8+ earthquake. I was online as it happened/was posted. I thought "Seriously? A hurricane coming in on one side (a major one, Cat 3) and an earthquake on the other side?" 

One girl on the forums for wunderground ticked me off. In all caps she said no gas, no hotel rooms anywhere in the state of Florida. I called her out bigtime and said to seriously stop it, Pensacola easily has gas, and it only took me a minute to go to expedia and call up five hotel rooms just at one place here. So she blubbered back that well, it just wasn't a good idea to get on the roads and I said to OWN IT that she put out bad info, and she needed to stop doing it. After that she shut up. (I copied and pasted her original post so she couldn't change it, and pasted the hotel info directly from the site too LOL!)  The stupid woman could be influencing someone from leaving or heading away from the coast,  with the doomsday statements, which are not true. The equestrian center here is still taking in horses, there is gas, and those hotel rooms were available still as of half an hour ago.

So anyone evacuating, check Pensacola, Navarre, Destin- the panhandle because it's a very low chance of it coming here. (Never say never, right?) But I could, if I wanted to,  actually be out horseback riding on Monday in sunny skies, with only 23mph gusts predicted here. That makes it a perfect day for outdoor horseback riding on an 85 degree day. SO WEIRD to think what's going on six hours away in the peninsula. (Tropical storm by that time, according to predictions now. Or low Category 1) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649

It's got to be so stressful, Novica. I'm glad to see you're helping people out 'cause that's how you are, a real sweetheart! heart 

edited September 2017

Well, I try, it makes me feel good too.

Not feeling good about this 11pm- if you look at the cone on the nhc.noaa.gov, it no longer comes in dead center at the tip. The stupid thing has shifted WEST and stays over the water a bit. I understand the track is just a guessimate, but it even states the ridge got stronger that will keep it going west. So actually not a guess. This means if it keeps shifting west, it is going to start being in the GOM. (Gulf Of Mexico)  And now will probably remain as a Category 5 on arrival. 

"Apparently the ridge to the north of Irma has been stronger than expected, and the initial motion remains westward, or 280/11 kt."

One thing I found out- the European model's input comes in the 5am discussion, it is running when the 2am comes out. (4am and 1am Central time)  So you will get more accuracy in the 5am as more models are involved (70 computers make up the European, only 20 for the GFS American model. They input different variables into each one, changing probably only one thing at a time if they are doing it using the correct scientific research method.) 

They totally called Jose wrong (first "only a tropical storm" THEN "only a Category 1) and now it's a Category 3! so this shift to the west has many in the panhandle watching this closely. I can't imagine it coming into the gulf on the west side of the peninsula- all the people who evacuated here would be thinking, "REALLY? Gimme a break!!" 

Good news- the two horses from South Florida arrived safely at the barn, four more arriving Sunday. It took an extra two hours for them to get from Jacksonville to Pensacola, normally 6- 6 /12 hours and took them 8. That's not bad. Tomorrow would be worse! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2017

It's already starting. CNN just announced TEN THOUSAND out of power in South Florida already! (2:20am Saturday morning.) So sad- one of the orange grove owners said this will decimate the family business that has been operating for generations. They don't think they can recoup if all those orange trees go down, it takes years to grow them and many can't be "put back" in the ground because they're mature trees. 

Track shifted slightly west again at the 2am update. And Jose is a Category FOUR now.

Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Novica said:

Ah, thanks. We were out again last night. She brought her remaining two small dogs outside and we sat on her porch. While she was petting her dog in her lap, I pulled all my hair over my face. When she turned to talk to me, she almost jumped out of her skin. She cried-but this time it was because she laughed so hard at being startled. Then I had her do it and we took a selfie. She said she looked liked Chewbacca and I looked like Cousin It. (which for me is an improvement.) 

Edit: here ya go, 3am this morning. Guess which one is me. This was taken about 20 seconds after she saw me. 

LOL! Love the pic! 

edited September 2017

Oh, interesting. Derek Van Dam, a meteorologist for CNN, said the temperature dropped FIFTEEN degrees in 60 seconds when the first band  of Irma came in Miami about an hour and a half ago!!!! Wouldn't that be weird?

Edit: found why prices were 66% off. When the site first changed over, the Mega Fastgrab wasn't at the bottom of the page.

Post edited by Novica on

25,000 MORE (in addition to the 15,000) have now lost power in Florida, even as Irma is still out there and not even to the Keys. That's as of 8:40am Central time. Governor Scott is talking now. 

I think I'll buy the android from today and MRL Mutations. For the freebie, since I have so much V4 stuff, there's not a lot to choose from. Heavenly Demise works on V4 or The Girl, and I can transfer the materials to more current  generations. Take a look at the variety, if you are also trying to find something usable.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited September 2017
    Llynara said:

Praying for everyone. It's really scary to watch the predictions, and the poor people in Texas are still dealing with the aftermath there. Plus the fires and earthquakes in the Northwest (and an earthquake in Mexico.) I'm here in the Midwest, on the jet stream most of the time, used to all kinds of crazy, hellish weather, and it's strangely quiet. The whole thing is just WEIRD.

+1 Not in the Midwest, though, originally from that area of the country. Still cleaning up from Harvey. Thinking and praying for all of those who are in the cross-hairs of Irma.

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • Ugh I bought last night half asleep and totally forgot to grab a freebie. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited September 2017
    Novica said:

Huh. The stagecoaches come with horses!  And it says accessories so you don't have to do reins or anything? Wow. They're only $5.49 with a New Debut. 

You caused me to spend money once againcheeky  I hadn't noticed that the horses came with it. Here it is in front of Western Town. I also was playing around with stereo images last night so that version is attached as well (you need red/blue glasses to see). You can have 2, 4 or 6 horses. Has nine different coat colors and has a number of walking and galloping poses. Since this is an older set, it's display in Content Library isn't the best organized. It also loads with very high glossiness, specular, and ambient, so you need to tone those down.

wagon left sharp.jpg
    850 x 510 - 540K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Ugh I bought last night half asleep and totally forgot to grab a freebie. 

There were freebies yesterday? Anyway, you could always open a sales Support ticket explaining that you forgot to pick your item and they may be able to help.

Ugh I bought last night half asleep and totally forgot to grab a freebie. 

There were freebies yesterday? Anyway, you could always open a sales Support ticket explaining that you forgot to pick your item and they may be able to help.

@richardhaseltine  "Last night" may be after midnight- some of us are on really whacky schedules, so last night may be this morning after 1am because the person simply hasn't gone to bed yet for that "evening." 

I am referring to the M4 V4 compatible items for today. I bought mine "last night"  in the wee hours of the morning after the store had turned over for today. That's probably what was meant.

I always put the freebies in first because I am also one of those who is likely to forget if I don't do it.

Irma update: Miami and Ft Lauderdale both have tornado warnings right now. 35,000 out of power now in Miami, storm not even there yet, rain bands are steady at times and watching on tv now, winds are blowing very steady.  12 hours from Punta Gorda. Amazing Skype is working for CNN reporters!  Stay safe anyone who is there!

RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

Huh. The stagecoaches come with horses!  And it says accessories so you don't have to do reins or anything? Wow. They're only $5.49 with a New Debut. 

You caused me to spend money once againcheeky

Just doin' what I do.  devil

And of course, you rendered a city scene. Couldn't do a "big" city scene because the town hasn't been exposed to the Gold Rush yet.  Looks good!  And me too- I had that wishlisted for years literally- and never realized it had horses. DUH. 

edited September 2017

BTW, if anyone is doing horse poses, they don't stand stiff legged very long. They usually have one leg bent at the knee, with the hoof raised slightly off the ground. They shift their weight after the other leg gets tired.  For Stetson, it's usually the back legs. So if you're doing standing-in-place, do a hind left, and a hind right, bent knee option. It's the same as us standing and talking to people, we often shift our weight.

Irma Status: 76,000 without power, 72,000 in shelters as of 9pm (Sept 9th, Saturday)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2017

Llola Lane had a thread where she told us she wouldn't be a PA anymore.  If her products are still in the store, you might want to take a look.  

Post edited by Novica on

Not good, 11pm track took it west again, "not by much" said the CNN weather dude, who just doesn't get that the PANHANDLE forecast changes with those "not by much" moves. It's staying over water more, now Tampa gets a direct hit as a 3, it's not forecast to be a storm strength in Jax, it's up to a Category 1 prediction now. The storm has greatly slowed down, and when are they going to start figuring how that will affect whether or not it interacts with the trough the way they said it would? (Aka, it's not arriving on schedule to get hooked by the curve of the trough. Doesn't take a genius to know if they thought it would be traveling 16mph and it's only going 6 mph, they need to recalculate. Ya think?)  It's dropped  lower down for Georgia after it leaves the peninsula,  so that's closer to the Panhandle. Ugh. I've wised up and using my iphone to videotape the tv screen so I can re-watch the critical parts (where they just go over the track.) 

edited September 2017

Power loss: 160,000 last hour (9pm) now 180,00- to 190,000. It is estimated it will be 5 million. Said will be the largest power outtage in the United State's history. Edit: 11pm- 200,000 no power.

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Novica said:

Power loss: 160,000 last hour (9pm) now 180,00- to 190,000. It is estimated it will be 5 million. Said will be the largest power outtage in the United State's history. Edit: 11pm- 200,000 no power.

Huh? What about the power outage that hit most of northeastern United States Aug. 14, 2003, leaving the 50 million people without power?

edited September 2017
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

Huh? What about the power outage that hit most of northeastern United States Aug. 14, 2003, leaving the 50 million people without power?

They may be referring to a specific type of storm, don't know. Or for one state. (that's probably it.) 

Post edited by Novica on

Now 300,000 in Florida without power. The track moved west 13 miles at 2am, now it's going to move 15 miles further west, so the eastern Panhandle has now come into play. (That's not Pensacola, that's Tallahassee/ Cedar Key/ Appalachicola.)  And the storm has slowed down, over warm water. Ugh. Irma still a Category 4.

The store sale is still messed up, no Mega Fastgrab yet. (I did a hard refresh.) Going to get some sleep and check it tomorrow, this is ridiculous. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Agree with ridiculous....but then, it's nothing new.....  

Novica said:

The store sale is still messed up, no Mega Fastgrab yet. (I did a hard refresh.) Going to get some sleep and check it tomorrow, this is ridiculous. 

This discussion has been closed.