DS log file?

Using DAZ Studio4.9.4.122 and got an error message loading an old ".daz" file that said I should examine the Studio "log file".  OK, fair enough, but where is it?  Couldn't find it in the "Program" directories, couldn't find a DS interface menu pull down.  Am I blind? frown

Comments

  • IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

  • Thank you.  OK, I'm partially blind.

    Now, where is the actual log file stored?  In case I wanted to massage it with various edting scripts.

  • For Windows, C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Daz 3D\Studio4\log.txt

  • For Windows, C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Daz 3D\Studio4\log.txt

    True; but at least for windows 7 that is a hidden folder. So, you wil have to unhide it. For Windows 7

    • Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

    :

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018
    edited September 2017

    IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

    When I click on that, nothing happens. No window pops up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • I don't know what could be wrong but you can get to your log file in Windows by navigating to

    C:\Users\XYourIDX\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

    You can check (or change) where the log is stored under

    File - Preferences Tempory file

  • Thanks.  I'm getting old, I completely forgot about hidden files in the apps folder. blush  I knew there was a reason I retired. surprise

  • IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

    When I click on that, nothing happens. No window pops up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    Does an application open when you double-click a .txt file in general (in an OS wndow or on the desktop)?

  • IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

    When I click on that, nothing happens. No window pops up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    if you hold down cmd(Mac)/ctrl(Win) while clicking on the command DS will open a folder, with the log file selected, instead of asking the OS to open it in the default application.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018
    Tottallou said:

    I don't know what could be wrong but you can get to your log file in Windows by navigating to

    C:\Users\XYourIDX\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

    You can check (or change) where the log is stored under

    File - Preferences Tempory file

    Thank you. I found the file but it's empty.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018

    IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

    When I click on that, nothing happens. No window pops up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    Does an application open when you double-click a .txt file in general (in an OS wndow or on the desktop)?

    Yeah, it opens a Notepad. I'm on Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

  • Its unusual that the log file is empty as mine adds loading stuff & iray iterations even if there are no actual errors

    There is a  box under : - File - Preferences Tempory file which says Log Size - Mine is at default but perhaps if that box had a zero in it there would be no log so it would be blank although that still would not explain why clicking inside Studio doesn't work for you.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018
    edited September 2017
    Tottallou said:

    Its unusual that the log file is empty as mine adds loading stuff & iray iterations even if there are no actual errors

    There is a  box under : - File - Preferences Tempory file which says Log Size - Mine is at default but perhaps if that box had a zero in it there would be no log so it would be blank although that still would not explain why clicking inside Studio doesn't work for you.

    Yeah, Edit >> Preferences >> Log Size - that's set to default of: 1048576

    Help >> Troubleshooting >> Log File - does nothing

    For some reason the "AppData" folder isn't showing up in the C:/Users/MyName location and I have to do a search for "AppData" to find it. Then it says it's here:

    C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\MYNAME

    Maybe I accidentally deleted the file when I was cleaning up my hard drive a while back? I've tried manually adding a file named AppData to the location of C:\Users\MYNAME\ - but it tells me that there is already a file by that name there. Even though when I go there, there is no file by that name there. 

    I'm not sure what to do. I've tried rebooting my computer (a couple times). I've tried manually adding the folder by that name to that location (and again, getting the message that there is already a file by that name there ...even though it must be invisible because I'm not seeing it).

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited September 2017

    To see the App file you need to be showing hidden items

    Just incase you don't know,  This is how to do it (copied from Google)

    1. Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
    2. Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
    3. Click the “View” tab.
    4. Scroll down a bit and change the “Hidden files and folders” setting to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives“.

    Perhaps you will be able to see the log in Daz if you unhide the folder

    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018
    Tottallou said:

    To see the App file you need to be showing hidden items

    Just incase you don't know,  This is how to do it (copied from Google)

    1. Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
    2. Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
    3. Click the “View” tab.
    4. Scroll down a bit and change the “Hidden files and folders” setting to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives“.

    Perhaps you will be able to see the log in Daz if you unhide the folder

    Thank you so much! I can see the file now AND the log inside that file! Thank you! :)

    Wonder why Windows 10 would hide that from me. 

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,018

    IN DS: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

    When I click on that, nothing happens. No window pops up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    if you hold down cmd(Mac)/ctrl(Win) while clicking on the command DS will open a folder, with the log file selected, instead of asking the OS to open it in the default application.

    Oh thank you! That takes me to the text log! Nice! 

    Now I just need to figure out how to get it to show up inside Daz Studio. heheh :) At least I can see the log now though. Thank you, Richard.

Sign In or Register to comment.